Sign in to follow this  

Honda Best upgrade for my 2004 400ex

Hello,

I was wondering what you guys think is the best upgrade to get more tork out of my quad would be. Also i was wondering what you guys believe is the best pipe to put on the 400ex. Right now the bike is all stock. I just bought this bike about 3 weeks ago.

I would really appreciate your imputs.

Thanks

Ok thanks, i was planing on geting a big gun pipe. Would it be better to just get the slip on or the complete exhaust system. Theres about a $200 difference in the two i was comparing. Idk if its worth spending the extra money for the complete exhaust system?

I'd stay away from Big Gun. It has been proven that with that pipe you will actually LOSE power in much of the powerband. A full system flows a little better than a slip on, but not enough to be worth the money unless you have significant motor mods.

HMF slip-on = Best bang for the buck.

I did a lot of research and listened to a lot of people before purchasing mine and I'm glad I did.

I'd stay away from Big Gun. It has been proven that with that pipe you will actually LOSE power in much of the powerband. A full system flows a little better than a slip on, but not enough to be worth the money unless you have significant motor mods.

HMF slip-on = Best bang for the buck.

I did a lot of research and listened to a lot of people before purchasing mine and I'm glad I did.

hmf rules--they usually sell cheaper than other brands too. dont bother with the full system. the advice about changing the front sprocket is very good also.

what do you guys think as far as camshafts? what would be the best way to go?

Mines still stock, but if I were to get into mine I'd install a Hotcams Stage 1. Great lowend and improved midrange... suited for XC and trails. The Stage 2 cam would be the choice for MX or dunes.

Mines still stock, but if I were to get into mine I'd install a Hotcams Stage 1. Great lowend and improved midrange... suited for XC and trails. The Stage 2 cam would be the choice for MX or dunes.

X2 :bonk:

If more low end is what you are after......than stay away for a complete exhaust system and aftermarket cam. With both of those mods you will loose some of the low end grunt of the 400ex.

Best bang for the buck

Slip on Exhaust……I personally like the Pro Circuit T4

Modify / Remove air box lid

Uni Filter

Re jet

From there I would spend money on suspension, protection and ergonomics ie. bars, seat, pegs, damper…..

Yes i am looking for more lowend speed off the git go. I am planning on geting a slip on exhaust sometime. I just bought me a 14 tooth sprocket. The cam it will be a lil while before i put one in.

Saying you'll loose on the bottom with a stage 1 hotcam is just false. That cam makes more power all the way from the top to the bottom. That cam is awesome for grunt work.

Saying you'll loose on the bottom with a stage 1 hotcam is just false. That cam makes more power all the way from the top to the bottom. That cam is awesome for grunt work.

k thanks what kind of exhaust slip on do you recommend?

k thanks what kind of exhaust slip on do you recommend?

If you stick with the can style like HMF or Pro Circuit you can't go wrong. You got the right idea keeping that stock head pipe just make sure the welds are ground down to get your most out of it.

If you stick with the can style like HMF or Pro Circuit you can't go wrong. You got the right idea keeping that stock head pipe just make sure the welds are ground down to get your most out of it.

ok thanks. what do you think about the big gun exhaust i heard two different sides of that pipe one being bad and one being good?