2002 Polaris Sportsman 90 No Spark Need Help

I'm a new transfer from ThumperTalk.

I have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 90 that up until a couple of days ago ran pretty good, but was occasionally hard to start.

It would flood and load up, run for a few seconds and cut off. The spark seemed kind of weak.

Now it doesn't have any spark at all. I have a new CDI box, which changed nothing, and the thing has a brand new carb (electric choke version).

It hasn't run much since I did the top end, so low compression is out as a starting problem. The mechanics at the local shop were young kids, and really didn't seem to know anything.

I do have a manual, but it isn't real helpful.

I will be checking back often, but will be at AMA Vintage Days this weekend.

First make sure the battery is fully charged. Second, ensure that all your electrical connections are good and tight. This includes any ground straps or ground connections as this can be a cause of many electrical gremlins. After this, the only other areas would be to have the coil checked as it may no be dumping full voltage to the spark plug. However, when they fail, they usually just blow out like a fuse and won't fire at all. The other area to check would be the stator. Not only does it have windings on it for charging the electrical system. It also has seperate windings for the ignition system.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Question_Man
      Hey guys im between a split decision about getting a quad or a dirtbike. So I was just wondering what your opinions are and dont give me 'it depends on who you are' crap. This is a opinion question just tell me what you really feel and why. And if you can tell me the funfactors of your choice and why you choose whatever it was you did.
    • By imported_blakerugg
      I am looking to buy a big bore for when my old Kawie Prairie breaks somtin inside the CVT boot cover:foul:, my Polaris Hawkeye isnt strong enough, even with AWD. What are some considerations?
    • By weenerdog
      :bonk:hey does anybody know where i can get graphics for an 09 scrambler 500?
    • By entrpner71
      Well, with Polaris using the KTM engine on the Outlaws could there be any chance they will develop a MX bike? They seem to have a reliable customer base for all there products and already work with/through Victory to make harley style cruisers. This is pure speculation, I have NO evidence but it seems to be a natural next step. It would be great to have a good american motorcycle out there, readily available at 90% of motorsport dealers.:bonk: Any support for such a theory?:bonk:
    • By dezracerE
      I cant believe I am the first.
      And I dont own a Polaris...yet.
      I am in the market for an "S" after the first of the year.
      Should be a regular on here.