400ex ticking sound coming from head after riding?

Honda

Hey, I bought a used 03' 400ex not to long ago and decided to take it out for a ride on a couple of trails. Well when I was just about done I started up the quad and moved it to the back of my truck and I started to hear this weird fast ticking sound coming from the head. I didn't hear this when I first started to ride throughout the day. I rode a good 2 hours of slow trail riding and some fast riding on some open gravel roads. Any ideas of what this problem could be? I checked the oil before I rode and it was past the middle of the dipstick but under the full mark. So oil should have been at a good level. It wasn't performing bad or anything, but just wanted to check up and see if this is regular or not? I read somewhere that this could mean that the valves need some adjusting, or something about the cam chain?

Just a side note, my quad has a new cam that provides more top end, white bros e-series full exhaust, and a new rev box that lets the motor rev about 1,000rpm's more than the stock one did. That's the way I bought it, also it has around 20-30 hours of use from the other owner.

Yea check your valves mine did the same thing they just loosen up a little over time just pull the head off and check the specs.

I read somewhere that this could mean that the valves need some adjusting, or something about the cam chain?

Just a side note, my quad has a new cam that provides more top end

You've read right, check your valves.

As for your side note, how do you figure that your cam chain gives you more top end???:bonk:

As for your side note, how do you figure that your cam chain gives you more top end???:bonk:

lol :bonk: if you read it right it doesnt say that lol :bonk::bonk:

lol :bonk: if you read it right it doesnt say that lol :bonk::bonk:

:bonk: my bad

Yea, I said cam, not cam chain. It's alright if you got a lil confused there. lol. So I'll check my valves probably over the weekend as next time I'm going riding is the weekend after.

Yea, I said cam, not cam chain. It's alright if you got a lil confused there. lol. So I'll check my valves probably over the weekend as next time I'm going riding is the weekend after.

:bonk: yeah that was messed up on my part, sorry. If you need any specs just let us know.