Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki Help deciding which LTZ to buy!

I want to buy an Ltz 400 and found two i am interested in one is a 03 it was a wifes bike so it has low hrs and really clean it has new black wheels, brand new tires, skidplate, exhaust and handlebars and the other bike is a bone stock 06 that was bought by a girlfriend to ride with the boyfriend and rode it 4 times then they broke up and she hasn't ridden it since 07. I really like bikes with the aftermarket parts but if the 06 is a way better bike than the 03 than that might make up my mind for me. Also the owners are asking the same price

Thanks for your help.

STOP! Don't do it! Have you not seen all of the threads that talk about carb/fuel related problems with these bikes? These bikes are VERY PROBLEMATIC when it comes to the carb/fuel, & pet-cock. In addition to this site, just do a Google search for LT-Z400 problems.. You'll have pages to wade through that should sway your decision. I'm working on my buddies 2003 LT-Z400 right now with what I believe is a fuel related problem. I've been searching the net for solutions.. LOTS of people are having the same/similar issues, and not a single site yet has an answer on how to fix it.

May I make a recommendation? Think Yamaha. Think Raptor 700. Or, if you want something even faster (!!!!!!) you can get the Yamaha 450R... My buddy just got the newest fuel injected 450R by Yamaha... To say that it is fast is an understatement. He has not lost a race to another quad yet...

STOP! Don't do it! Have you not seen all of the threads that talk about carb/fuel related problems with these bikes? These bikes are VERY PROBLEMATIC when it comes to the carb/fuel, & pet-cock. In addition to this site, just do a Google search for LT-Z400 problems.. You'll have pages to wade through that should sway your decision. I'm working on my buddies 2003 LT-Z400 right now with what I believe is a fuel related problem. I've been searching the net for solutions.. LOTS of people are having the same/similar issues, and not a single site yet has an answer on how to fix it.

May I make a recommendation? Think Yamaha. Think Raptor 700. Or, if you want something even faster (!!!!!!) you can get the Yamaha 450R... My buddy just got the newest fuel injected 450R by Yamaha... To say that it is fast is an understatement. He has not lost a race to another quad yet...

For real..

wow i never knew that.

I learned something new.

Thanks for the reply I bought a raptor 660 a couple of weeks ago and am pretty happy with it. I wanted to get the new 700 but I had a fairly small budget to work with.

T-man, that is great news! My buddy with the new Yamaha 450R actually sold his Raptor 660 to be able to buy the newer quad. I rode that Raptor quite a bit before he sold it and can attest that it was no slouch! Those quads are awesome! I'm sure you will love it. There is no comparing the Raptor 660 to ANY quad built by Suzuki...

i happen to love my 05 z400 with the 440 kit.yeah the 03s had frame cracking issues but every brand had their problems,just like the 04 honda 450r had bad cranks from factory or the raptors with bad starter gear pinions.I recently sold my 450 because i wanted reverse which i never thought i would miss but now i insist upon for woods.Imo the z400 has good handling and "almost" 450 like performance with reverse.Doug Gust raced one of these before suzook came out with their ltr450,so there is more performance in there if you want it.

i loved my 05 z400 never had a problem! other than bearings!

Yeah that is what most people say about their Z400. They say they never have any problems. Mine is FI, thing is a beast.

i bought my 03 z400 a few months ago. its an awsome quad. the guy i bought it from re-did every bearing possible, so i shouldn't have to worry about that. Do i need to worry about the frame cracking?

i bought my 03 z400 a few months ago. its an awsome quad. the guy i bought it from re-did every bearing possible, so i shouldn't have to worry about that. Do i need to worry about the frame cracking?

on the 03 04 yes

I had an 03 the only problems they are known for is the frame cracking (mine was at the front shock mounts), and there was a problem the the cam chains which was easily fixed with an aftermarket cam chain. some people were able to get the frame replaced with 06 frame but im not sure if that was a recall or they just had good dealers. The motor is pretty much bulletproof other then the cam chain. the main thing i didnt like about it was the how you adjust the chain is kind of a pain compared to the honda setup. but if the quad is in good condition buy it and have a gusset kit welded in to avoid problems

alright sweet, i don't do much jumping with it. mainly just trail riding. another question i had was is it common for the ltz to shift hard? sounds like the transmission is really working.