Honda ATC110 restore??

Honda

I do not have photos yet. But I bought an ATC 110 for $100. with a parts bike. The good news...I've got 6 nice / new tires and one ROUGH atc that runs, kinda. I do not know the year. I did not see an ID plate, yet. At quick glance, it is a little hard to start with the pull rope. It has no air filer assembly, no rear brakes, it seems like the dual range has only ONE range, and when it is idling it spits a little fuel back thru the carb and pops a little. I am a pretty darn good 2 stroke mechanic, But I know nothing about rebuilding a 4 stroke. But, I want to give it a shot! It has a metal fuel tank, that is leaking at the rear seam (Kreem)?,or an aftermarket plastic tank?, and I guess it needs a valve job, maybe a topend job? Where to start? Compression test?, Check and adjust valves? ( I have never done a valve job) or could the valve timing be off? Could someone maybe give me some suggestions? I do not want to "restore it" for now, just get it to start, idle and run well, repair the loud muffler or fabricate something, I need to rebuild the seat, get the dual range to work properly,repair or replace the fuel tank. Am I crazy or will this be a money pit??

Thanks to all for guidance!

Tony P

Unionville, NC

Radical Sports Photos

Wow, 15 views and 0 replies, I'd heard that you guys were very knowledgeable and helpful, common guys help me out!

tony p

Wow, 15 views and 0 replies, I'd heard that you guys were very knowledgeable and helpful, common guys help me out!

tony p

There is a lot of questions there.......

Start here for reasearch and parts

http://dratv.com/atvpartsaccess.html

I used this to seal my z50 metal tank......it even filled a few pin holes

http://www.amazon.com/CYCLE-TANK-SEALER-KBS-Coatings/dp/B000IBDIX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1250783185&sr=8-1

The early 80s 110 atc had a 3 speed trans......I am not sure what you mean by dual range.

Yes do a compression check and go from there.......

No you are not crazy and yes it will be a fun little money pit

The early 80s 110 atc had a 3 speed trans......I am not sure what you mean by dual range.

The 110 was always a 4 speed-dual range trans. If you had one that was a 3 speed it was broke, lol. What he means by dual range is that these trikes had a high and low range selector.

Tony if you want the best possible info out there then 3wheelerworld dot com and 3wheeler dot org are the places to be. I don't mean to take anything away from this place but these are LARGE communities dedicated to 3 wheeled machines. This also means they're a large network for parts too.

I can offer a couple thoughts for you since you're here.

1) Without an air cleaner assembly it just won't run right. You're making that little engine run very lean right now. The gushing fuel is probably helping at this point.

2) Anything odd about a carb or anytime you dive into a project like this just get the carb off and clean every orifice. But again until you get that air cleaner set up you'll have a tough rime dialing that little guy in.

3) Adjust the valves. You couldn't find an easier machine to learn on and the horizontal Honda engines are know running so long without maintenance that this may be the only thing wrong with the engine. Seen it many of times, adjust the valves and she might be tip top again.

4) The range selectors get sticky on these. Try putting it into first gear and move the lever to the next range giving a little throttle to help coax it over. If you can get it moving it will get easier with a little time.

5) Toss the fuel tank. Unless you're looking to go the whole nine yards with body work, paint and decals there's plenty of good plastic tanks out there and they don't look bad.

6) The date of manufacture would be on the steering stem like a motorcycle. If it's not there post the VIN and I can tell you what it is.

7) Spend the $20 on a book. It's worth every penny.

The 110 was always a 4 speed-dual range trans. If you had one that was a 3 speed it was broke, lol. What he means by dual range is that these trikes had a high and low range selector.

I was young and never got out of 2nd gear :bonk:

I was young and never got out of 2nd gear :bonk:

Haha. 2nd was perfect for side riding on 2 wheels. I would do that so long I bet my neighbors thought I was "special".:bonk:

Thanks for the replies guys!

And yes, it does indeed have a high/low tranny, in fact, the parts bike does too!

Gonna start on it this week!

tony p