Sign in to follow this  

Honda 400ex 2004 suspension question...

hi friends..

how to change the rebound in the rear suspension of my 400ex..

cause when i run in whoops is like a crazy horse...kick my ass with the seat...

sorry my english

best regards from baja...

hi friends..

how to change the rebound in the rear suspension of my 400ex..

cause when i run in whoops is like a crazy horse...kick my ass with the seat...

sorry my english

best regards from baja...

Just curious, have you set the sag yet? That shock is wound up for a 350lb rider from the factory. The only reason I ask is because until you've done that you'll never get what you're looking for with just turning the comp and rebound screws. One's on the resi the other at the bottom mount of the shock.

Like ATJ said set your rear sag first........With you on the EX full gear measure from the ground to frame.......You want the rear (at the pegs) to be 1/4" lower than the front (at the a-arm)

Now you can play with your compression / rebound settings

Compression on the top

Rebound on the bottom

Also like ATJ said the stock rear spring is way to stiff.....with me at 215lbs I have the rebound set at full hard and still get small buck over the whoops. I also have the compression set at 2 clicks from full soft.

If you have the rebound set all the way closed and it is bucking then you need to go softer. Your rear end is packing. The shock is not extending out

in time for the next bump.

If you have the rebound set all the way closed and it is bucking then you need to go softer. Your rear end is packing. The shock is not extending out

in time for the next bump.

I started with both compression and rebound right in the center and had a fun afternoon of shock testing......rode the same section of whoops / sand wash and first gear rocks and the buck kept getting better and better until I was out of adjustment......What I need to do is get off my @$$ and get the right spring and have the shock revalved.

Testing, it is a tedious process but very educational. Ok so save me some time, 03 TRX400EX. I weigh 205 with gear but my kids weigh around 150. We switch off in the sand dunes but i ride it 70% of the time. Where should I start with the settings?

Testing, it is a tedious process but very educational. Ok so save me some time, 03 TRX400EX. I weigh 205 with gear but my kids weigh around 150. We switch off in the sand dunes but i ride it 70% of the time. Where should I start with the settings?

And fun.....

Set the ride height about 7" for you and see what it is with the kid on it.

The rebound should be the same for both of you (because you are using the same spring)

I would have two marks / setting on the compression on for you and one for him. Use a red shapie for you and a black for the kid. With a quick compression adjustment you are ready to go.

Or you could just plump the kid up.....lots of pizza and big macs :bonk:

Also at 200 plus lbs a set of 450r front shocks will work better for you.......But they will beat the crap out of the kid

Set the ride hight and start in the center on both compression and rebound......there are only 8 setting on each clicker.

Find a nice road with a section of whoops, a "G" out and a small jump. Run it about 75% of your ability and play with the adjustments.

I find with my riding style, I need the rebound set in almost all the way slow to keep from getting bucked in the big desert whoops.

I replaced my EX shocks with WorksPerformance Steeleers with cans in front and UltraCross in back. It is an absolute whoop eater!!! I can beat my friends who are on faster machines, through the whoops becasue I do not need to slow down!