fourtrax with issues

Honda

i

i have a 1986 trx350 fourtrax and about a year ago it quit like you turned the key off. i had already had the nuetral saftey issue happen and bypassed it . i thought it might be the timing chain so changed it ,nothing. took my manual and meter and checked all components . pulled the c.d.i. off of it and put the new one on it after testing both of the the old one showed continuity on two of the six connections, the new one didnt . the old one would fire the plug but the new one seems to be alot hotter. i did the top end on this motor a year ago and had no problem fired right up. after i changed the chain i tried pulling it to start it. it wouldnt start with low rpms but when i changed the gear and the rpms increased it would run. ive put alot of time and would desperatley llike to have this unit back , any advice? thanks paul

The thing is 25 years old! Maybe it is just time to step up to something newer so you can ride rather than wrench, and retire the old quad???

yea i know its old but its one of the most durable atvs ever produced by honda . everything is in great shape on it and i cant give up on it over something i know has to be simple. any advice would really help cause ive tried everything the service manual has told me to try. thanks paul

i even have a parts machine and he thought of parting them out and getting a later model has crossed my mind , and that is what i will do if i have no luck getting it going. thanks paul:foul:

i

i have a 1986 trx350 fourtrax and about a year ago it quit like you turned the key off. i had already had the nuetral saftey issue happen and bypassed it . i thought it might be the timing chain so changed it ,nothing. took my manual and meter and checked all components . pulled the c.d.i. off of it and put the new one on it after testing both of the the old one showed continuity on two of the six connections, the new one didnt . the old one would fire the plug but the new one seems to be alot hotter. i did the top end on this motor a year ago and had no problem fired right up. after i changed the chain i tried pulling it to start it. it wouldnt start with low rpms but when i changed the gear and the rpms increased it would run. ive put alot of time and would desperatley llike to have this unit back , any advice? thanks paul

Too me...it sounds like your valves are out of adjustment.

thanks for the reply, i didnt really consider that because of the way it just quit but was running fine up until then. i am getting desperate and will try it and post the results . thanks agian for the input. paul

Good luck..:bonk: I hope it either works or leads you in the right direction!!