Is it true...

Is it true that polaris is not a high quality product, i've heard this a lot.

IMO polaris quality and reliability has suffered compared to the big 4. The newer models seem to be a lot better than the 90's units. They have sold an awful lot of 4 wheelers and there are a huge number of them still out there. But They would not be my first choice when looking for a new purchase.

well im not looking to buy anything considering i have enough on my hands.

But i was just having a curious monent.

I know there were some problems with the first run of 500cc Predators. The engines are sourced from a Japanese manufacturer. I think by the time they came out with the models that included reverse they pretty much had the quality control issue worked out. I think a lot of the reported problems came from owners that failed to properly maintain their machines.

Nop polaris do have a lot of problems I have had two and nothing but problems. 500 scrambler 4x4 2000 model.

Of course they haven't been in the motorcycle and ATV business as long as long as the Japanese big 4, so they haven't had as long to develop a reputation of reliability. Also, to be competitive with the big 4 right out of the gate, they had to take chances on quality control engines built by outside sources. So an engine they designed in house may not have come through the engineering and manufacturing with the same materials and tolerances as originally called for in the design. The design prototypes may have met the power and durability requirements called for, but may have been to costly in that configuration to be profitiable. Thats when concessions are made between the engineering departments and the accounting department. Unfortunately it usually costs the company much more in the long run to take the cheaper way out.

I'll put my well maintained '05 Predator up against any '05 sport machines from the Big 4 any day!!!

They arnt that bad but u have to mantain them better than say a 300ex or 400ex

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Question_Man
      Hey guys im between a split decision about getting a quad or a dirtbike. So I was just wondering what your opinions are and dont give me 'it depends on who you are' crap. This is a opinion question just tell me what you really feel and why. And if you can tell me the funfactors of your choice and why you choose whatever it was you did.
    • By entrpner71
      If you seen my other thread you will know that I am looking for a suitable quad for my grandfather and mom. I want an older utility quad with good predictable power, low and cheep to repair, and has AWD. There are several models even as early as the mid 90's and I need to know what the differences are for each. I don't even know which ones are 4x4, 2T or 4T, e start or pull/kick, displacement, features and so on. Anybody that knows the difference or has a link to that info please post it. Thanks in advance.
    • By donwann
      Does anybody know where I can get a service manuel for a 2005 Polaris 500 Predator? I also need some assistance in dialing in the Fox Podium shocks on this machine. I feel that the compression damping is way to stiff, but what do I know? This is my first ATV. It is an '05 Troy Lee edition 500cc Predator with the Fox Podium resevoir shocks on the front and back.
    • By entrpner71
      Well the 350L was short lived:smirk: and switched to the Scrambler so I figured I would let that die (quad was sold shortly after the thread was created anyway:thumbsup:) and bring up my new direction. A gentlemen is selling a 06 Polaris Scrambler on Craigs for 3000 and I could probably talk him down a little more. Trade in on KBB is 2810 so it seems like a good deal, he also claims excellent condition.
      The "criteria" is it would be for my mom (and grandfather on occasion). She wants something completely automatic with good suspension, strong power, and just fun. I want the 4x4 because she is not going to gun it when things get technical so this would pretty much guarantee her not to get stuck. It would be good also to pull out other bikes/quads and do some basic ranch work around their property (mostly hauling horse poop) too. I also like that my bother or my self could jump on and keep up with trx250Rs we just bought.
      So the question is this a suitable quad and how is the reliability of these atvs. I have heard they are a lot of fun and I don't think I need to worry about it being to much for my mom, she is not going to test it as long as it is predictable. Any experience or knowledge would be appreciated. This particular one is a 2006 but would like to learn about all model years as far back as late 90's. My other interest is when the AWD engaged automatically, that is a great feature and if she ever used it is just that much more confidence for her. thanks guys:worthy:
      P.S. other models/years and even makes would be consider if suggested. I am hoping to buy american but it is not crucial (buying used anyway). At 3K I would have a very difficult time talking my parents into it so if I could save money without much sacrifice by an earlier year smaller engine and so on please let me know.
      Last question (promise:p) how are these things on gas, not riding hard but light to moderate riding? We almost bought a banshee but the thing would eat 5 gallons of gas in only a few hours of hard rinding:eek:
    • By durangoman
      Way down there on the end