Sign in to follow this  

Bogs, then dies. What could be the problem?

I brought the 06 ltz400 out the other day for a spin and it worked fine for about 10 minutes. Then it began to have problems. It would start up, but after giving it any throttle, it would die. I tried messing with the fuel screw and that didn't seem to do much. Could a jet be clogged or could a simple oil change or something fix this? It acted like it wasn't getting enough gas.:bonk:

Sounds like a classic case of a clogged pilot jet. has it been sitting for a month or longer, if so, take out the pilot and clean it.....or better yet, replace it.

For preventative maintenance, use "Sea Foam" with every can of gas.....works far better than Sta-bil! :bonk:

Yep, sounds like a dirty fuel system. Maybe even some crud in the fuel tank thats gettig past the strainer in the petcock. Is there an in-line fuel filter that may be clogged up?

I was assuming it was a clogged jet and yes it has been sitting for at least a month. To clean the jet, do I just wash it with water or something else like paint thinner?

Remove the pilot jet (it's the little one with a slotted screw tip in front of the main jet) and use carb cleaner and air. Don't use high pressure compressed air, the little jet will fly out of your hands.

Use SeaFoam from now on and never get this problem again!

Post up your results. :bonk:

Remove the pilot jet (it's the little one with a slotted screw tip in front of the main jet) and use carb cleaner and air. Don't use high pressure compressed air, the little jet will fly out of your hands.

Use SeaFoam from now on and never get this problem again!

Post up your results. :bonk:

I guess I will be making a trip to the store for some carb cleaner. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

I cleaned the jets and blew air through them and it won't even start now. Maybe the throttle stop would affect this? I remember twisting it on accident thinking it was the fuel screw.

I had the same problem with a dirt bike a few years ago. Turned out it was a plugged vent line for the tank. As soon as it sucked out some gas from the tank, it caused a vacuum in the tank and wouldn't let any more gas flow. As far as cleaning jets, I've found that a strand of copper wire works great for plugged jets. The copper is soft enough that it won't booger up the brass jets.

I had the same problem with a dirt bike a few years ago. Turned out it was a plugged vent line for the tank. As soon as it sucked out some gas from the tank, it caused a vacuum in the tank and wouldn't let any more gas flow. As far as cleaning jets, I've found that a strand of copper wire works great for plugged jets. The copper is soft enough that it won't booger up the brass jets.

I am going to take the vent line off today and see if it is clogged

I am going to take the vent line off today and see if it is clogged
I would "crack" the gas cap a little also,to make sure the restriction is not in the cap itself.

Man, there are so many things you can check. Make sure the float needle valve is opening all the way. Make sure there is no kinks in the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Make sure the air filter is not plugged. Is the CDI box defective? If you go through everybody's suggestions, and it still won't run, I think it would be time for a professional to step in.