400 ex help

Honda

Hello, All

I recently traded a for this wheeler. Runs great no smoke it's a 99.

Just made it back from Hatfield and McCoy. Great Place well worth Traveling to. I'm having a clutch noise and cant figure out the issue. When I realease the clutch and it ingages i"m getting a metal to metal sound I cant tell what side of the bike. Once it's fully engaged their is no noise and no slipping. I haven't pulled the cover off as of yet. Just seeing if anyone has had this issue and what you might think it could be.

Thanks All

Is there oil in it?

yep i'm pretty anal about maintenance.

Take it apart. Its a waste of time to hear what internet engineers think about a sound they never heard.

Take it apart. Its a waste of time to hear what internet engineers think about a sound they never heard.
That's what I was thinking. Just have to open her up.

Well I have a 1996 xr400 and it does the same thing when i first start it up after being cold, I put it in first gear a slip the clutch to take off and it squeels like metal rubbing Ive taken it apart 10 times changed clutches, pressure plates, baskets ,hubs, and still does it so ive grown to deal with it hope you dont spend as much money as ive had with no help.