Sign in to follow this  

Honda Need some advice on a purchase.

I am about to get my first ATV and I'm thinking the 400EX used. Everything I've read looks good. The sport style ATV will fit my style of riding and the 400Ex sounds pretty solid to me. I will probably be looking at some this week and need some pointers of what to look for as in defects. I know the normal running issues, but are there any specifics about these ATVs to look out for? Also I've read that the width is 45.3in. Is this the overall width including body work or the width of the wheels? The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to figure out if it will fit on a trailer I have. I guess I need to know what the width is center to center of the wheels. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Vargett.....the 400ex is a great all around atv. Good choice

First off the 99 to 04 400 ex do not have reverse. 05 and newer do

Here are the things I would look for

1) Jack it up and make sure the axel is not bent and that all the suspension pivots are tight.

2) Chain and sprockets are not worn

3) Smoke at start up

If I was in the market for a used 400ex I would look for one with factory chain / sprockets, stock tires and very little boot wear on the frame & engine case......that way you know it has low hours

Triple B, thaks for the pointers. I'll look at those close. Another thing I usually look close at is the condition of all the bolt heads. If I start seeing rounded off edges it throws up a flag. I also assume to look close at the welds on the frame to spot repairs and cracks. I'm going out today to look at an 04 and if all looks good I'll put a deposit on it and bring it home friday. I just hope it fits on a small motorcycle trailer I have. I was hoping that someone would have a chance to throw a tape on their ATV to tell me what the width is from center to center of the wheels. Thanks again for your reply and I'll post what I find later after I've seen it.

Triple B, thaks for the pointers. I'll look at those close. Another thing I usually look close at is the condition of all the bolt heads. If I start seeing rounded off edges it throws up a flag. I also assume to look close at the welds on the frame to spot repairs and cracks. I'm going out today to look at an 04 and if all looks good I'll put a deposit on it and bring it home friday. I just hope it fits on a small motorcycle trailer I have. I was hoping that someone would have a chance to throw a tape on their ATV to tell me what the width is from center to center of the wheels. Thanks again for your reply and I'll post what I find later after I've seen it.

Center to center of wheels can't be anymore then 40"

Ok, so the 400ex that I went to look at today didn't work out. Sold before I got to see it. I have a few others I'm looking at and I need to ask another question. Are there any real differences between a 99 and a 04 other than the age. Both look real great. The 99 has a bunch of after market goodies. FMF pipe, nerf bars, aluminum rims, renthal bars, and looks real clean and well taken care of and not ridden hard. The 04 has no after market stuff but has the original tires and chain with little wear. The 04 has some minor sun fading but the plastic is solid. They both are just under $2k so I'm good on the price of both. I just wonder if there are any improvements on the 04 over the 99 to tip the scale. If it was an 05 with reverse it would be a no brainer. I'm just new to these and don"t know the differences. Any advice will help.

I'm pretty sure there's no changes from the 99-04. The only big difference would be the number of hours and the amount of after market parts.

There is no change between the years the only time they changed was 05 and 08. I just sold my RM-Z250 and bought a 07 leftover. Quad has an awesome balance point and its really easy to hold wheelies. Great quad you wont be disappointed. Check the shock mount locations for cracks, also I'd do what the others have said and prop the swing arm up and check the axle and also make sure you check the bearings in the swing arm to make sure theyre nice and tight. One more thing I'd look at is the steering stem as well to see if its tweaked at all.

Got he 99. Its in real good shape. Everything seems to chech out. I looked at all the things mentioned before buying and I found a keeper. Axle is straight. No cracks in frame anywhere. The only wear from boots is just a small spot on the left case side. Nothing I can see on the right. Came with Renthal bars, Nerf bars, new ITP Holeshot tires on Douglas rims, a pair of paddle tires on spare rims, FMF Powercore IV muffler, K&N filter with prefilter cover, Dynoget carb kit, DG front bumper, rear aluminum skid plate. The plastic only has minor scuffs. I could tell as soon as I saw it it was well teken care of. It still has the original chain. I'm ordering a new chain and sprockets. I'm looking at instaling a brake light instead of just the tail light as Arizona seems to want one. Now I just need to find some guys to ride with and learn how to ride this thing. This is going to be great.

I put a pic of it in my garage. I've been doing some reading and I get the impression that Powercore IV muffler might get me in trouble with the park rangers. I love the sound but I'm not interested in any tickets.

I put a pic of it in my garage. I've been doing some reading and I get the impression that Powercore IV muffler might get me in trouble with the park rangers. I love the sound but I'm not interested in any tickets.

I can't find your garage.

If you want to sell the pipe so you can get a quieter one PM me.

I got my 02 400ex for like 2500 still had the stock front rubber on it. It has been absolutely bulletproof since!!! You willl love that bike, Maintenance is a breeze on it also!!!! And so many aftermarket mods!!!! Mine even spent a pittsburgh winter outside under a tarp cuz i didnt have a garage at the time. Got it in my garage changed plug and oil greased it up new gas and it fired right up!!!!! Soooo reliable