Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter too high or too low

I recently did some clutch work on my 2002 CR250 and after I put everything back together, my kickstart is either too high or too low. When I put it on the spline shaft it is either too high where it hits the frame or too low where it hits my pipe.

Now I can only assume that the spline shaft that the kickstart mounts on is coarser than the idler gear end. So I should be able to slide the spline shaft out (after I take the whole side off again) and rotate it one tooth. I am hoping that will put the kicker in the middle.

Does anyone know if the kickstart splines are coarser than the idler gear end?

Also, can I remove the right side engine cover without taking my clutch apart?

Thanks,

Bob

Ok so I read through the manual and it looks like I didn't align the punch marks on the starter assembly when I put it together. I am sure that this is my problem.

I will let you know.

I just got an 02 and have the same issue.This is the only thread I could find in my search so i am digging it up for the masses. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I dont have a manual for the bike yet so I havent been able to look at anything in depth. I pmd the op but have not heard if the issue ever got solved. Mine doesnt have alot of wear so im hoping I can find a solution. My bike does have an FMF pipe on it other than a small ding in it the pipe fitment looks good. Anybody have an idea?

Taking the kick starter assembly apart worked. When I put the kick starter gears back together the first time I did not align the punch marks.

I took it apart again, aligned the marks, put it back together and everything was as good as gold.

Bob