Best performance pipe for rm-z 250

• 3 weeks later...

I've only ridden with my stock exhaust and my new Yoshimura RS-3. The stock exhaust offers power through out all lower/mid/upper levels. The Yoshimura seems to give a good lower end bump. It's really up to what kind of power delivery you want. The best exhaust for the most part is stock. (mine was destroyed after a bike vs four wheeler collision)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to start a thread about full systems versus slip ons, so I hope I'm not butting in here. I've done alot of research in the last few day looking in old post. I read some people believe that there is not much of a noticable increase in power between the full systems and the slip ons, and that there is hardly any difference between the two head pipes (oem & after market)

The reason I ask is because I have an opportunity to get a pc slip on at a great price. But I have not heard from any body about a pc slip on. What I found in my search is that an fmf 4.1 slip on works as well as any full system. I'm wondering if anybody had some good input or experience with the pc. I'm sure it will help Swapper 747 with his question also

Thanks

hey just wondereing what the best pipe is?

thanks

Did you not ask a similar question to this a few weeks ago Swapper?

No offence dude just curious.

Here is the dyno test results that someone posted up earlier in that thread. What more do you need to know?

Bike A is standard.

http://www.svenskmotorsport.com/multimedia/archive/00325/SMS_nr132009_avgasr_325839a.pdf

That would be nice if that dyno test was available in english! Looks like a lot of $$ for less than one hp (or 'hk' as they say over there) improvement.

Can't tell you about the slip-ons, because I didn't try any. But if the logic that the header design affects powerband placement then a full header makes sense. Here's the Yoshi dyno graph for the RMZ 250: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/popup.aspx?src=images/product/large/3254_6_.jpg

After running my Yoshi full system I'd have to say I agree with the graph: power down low feels a little 'meatier' overall and when you rev it out and hit the point that the stock engine fell flat, the Yoshi piped motor keeps pulling. Hard not to like that combo as it is. Great handling bike with an easy-to-go-fast powerband!

.........the engine feels and sounds different but actual hp is minimal, especially for the money......I dont trust any co graph's of their products, of course they are gonna be good on their paper....real hp is engine work, its cheaper and makes better results.(head porting, cams, piston)..the one drawback is people cant see it...... and all BS aside to most a shiny pipe is more important for others to see than what it actually does (thats a fact).....btw i too have a pipe cause of the very same reason...they look sick and on mine i could care less about hp, it has plenty!.

You're right Dunn, nuthin' this side of Nitrous injection is gonna make an arm-snapping difference in the power. They each just make a little improvement in this or that. The reality is, the guy that can leave the throttle twisted WFO the longest is gonna win. That probably won't be me nowadays, but in my years I've seen so many highly modified bikes smoked by a guy on a stocker that stays on the gas!

That being said, I like to think of my upgrades as 'optimizing the power available' by overcoming the 'mass production' shortcomings of a stock pipe, intake tract, etc. I had very acceptable results with the full Ti Yoshi RS2, considering I bought it 'nearly new' for 1/2 price. Just for sh*#ts n giggles, I may try that 'Loudmouth' air filter/intake modification and see if the hype justifies the price. Anyone give that a go on the RMZ 250? Figure that will all work together nicely when the day comes for the Cylinder Works 269cc big bore kit...

Some of us just can't leave things alone, and that's why we're here, now! Face it, TT is just an AA meeting for riders!

You're right Dunn, nuthin' this side of Nitrous injection is gonna make an arm-snapping difference in the power. They each just make a little improvement in this or that. The reality is, the guy that can leave the throttle twisted WFO the longest is gonna win. That probably won't be me nowadays, but in my years I've seen so many highly modified bikes smoked by a guy on a stocker that stays on the gas!

That being said, I like to think of my upgrades as 'optimizing the power available' by overcoming the 'mass production' shortcomings of a stock pipe, intake tract, etc. I had very acceptable results with the full Ti Yoshi RS2, considering I bought it 'nearly new' for 1/2 price. Just for sh*#ts n giggles, I may try that 'Loudmouth' air filter/intake modification and see if the hype justifies the price. Anyone give that a go on the RMZ 250? Figure that will all work together nicely when the day comes for the Cylinder Works 269cc big bore kit...

Some of us just can't leave things alone, and that's why we're here, now! Face it, TT is just an AA meeting for riders!

you mean TT is the dope man for a bunch o relapsers!.........more guys have spent more money on their bike cause of what they have read here, that they prolly should have spent elsewhere:lol::excuseme:?:bonk:

....real hp is engine work, its cheaper and makes better results.(head porting, cams, piston)..the one drawback is people cant see it...... and all BS aside to most a shiny pipe is more important for others to see than what it actually does (thats a fact).....btw i too have a pipe cause of the very same reason...they look sick and on mine i could care less about hp, it has plenty!.

I don't agree with that at all. Neither do the independant dyno test bikes figures. I do agree that a lot of riders out there do not need extra power, but some do, and for them I would say that a performance system is good value for money. Especially on the 07-09 RMZ 250, its widely regarded as having a restrictive system which leaves the bike feeling breathless. I race and practice a lot with my 08 and I could not believe how much of a difference my aftermarket system made to the bike. It really opened it up. At my level and income I don't have sponsors or a team of mechanics so reliability is everything.

You can bolt on an aftermarket system, re jet if needed, enjoy the extra power and forget about it. However if you modify it further with cams, porting, high comp piston etc etc you are shortening the fuse of that eventual blow up and increasing the maintenance requirements and the initial outlay of cash and the labour to get it fitted if your not capable. Not to mention the expense and issues with buying/storing race fuel. So in my mind a system is better value for money, I won't ever bother with internal tuning on a 4st I don't think. The more you tune an engine, the less reliable it becomes and the more money you have to spend to achieve small gains.

I have a Dep s7, its good. My friend has an 08 also, but he has an Akarapovic system. It is even better than mine. Top end is similar to same so its not noticeable on open tracks but on tight ones his bike is a lot more responsive from low rpms, this is backed up by those dyno graphs. I tend to have to over rev, clutch and feed in the power out of berms and ruts with mine, but with his I can hold almost any throttle going into the slow part of the turn then from the millisecond you crack the throttle there is instant torque and more of it, it lightens that front wheel perfectly as you exit turns. Makes an easy bike even easier to ride fast.

Look at the graphs I posted in that link. Bike A is standard with an aftermarket system. Bike B is tuned, cams, portwork, piston, carb, and ignition.

For example, lets analyze the HGS pipe results. In the left column I'll put the standard bike showing the gains above standard, then in the right I'll show the further gains they got on the tuned bike:

Stock bike.

Tuned Bike

Torque, HGS/(original):

25,37 N.m @ 8 100 rpm/(25,04 N.m @ 8 200 rpm).

25,74 N.M @ 8 400 rpm.

Max HP, HGS/(original):

34,82 hp @ 12 100 rpm/(34,39 hp @ 12 300 rpm).

36,25 HP @ 11 700 rpm

HGS Gains over (original):

Tuned Bike Gains over standard engine with HGS system

6 000 rpm: 18,8 hp (15,4 hp) + 3.4 hp

6 000 rpm: 18,8 hp + 0 hp

7 000 rpm: 23,9 hp (21,8 hp) + 2.1 hp

7 000 rpm: 23,7 hp - 0.2 hp

8 000 rpm: 28,7 hp (27,7 hp) + 1 hp

8 000 rpm: 28,5 hp - 0.2 hp

9 000 rpm: 31,3 hp (30,6 hp) + 0.7 hp

9 000 rpm: 31,9 hp + 0.6 hp

10 000 rpm: 32,2 hp (31,6 hp) + 0.6 hp

10 000 rpm: 33,6 hp + 1.4 hp

11 000 rpm: 33,3 hp (33,3 hp) + 0 hp

11 000 rpm: 35,4 hp + 2.1 hp

12 000 rpm: 34,8 hp (34,0 hp) + 0.8 hp

12 000 rpm: 36,1 hp + 1.3 hp

13 000 rpm: 34,3 hp (34,0 hp) + 0.3 hp

13 000 rpm: 35,1 hp + 0.8 hp

Max gain from the HGS on a standard bike was 3.4hp at 6000rpm. Wow! That is a lot of extra power, you will most definitely feel and benefit from that improvement. It gains everywhere except for 11k rpm where it equals standard system output. That pipe is not just 'bling' as you put it. It is improving power output. Look at the gains that the tuned bike gets over the standard bike with the same system, it isn't all that much is it? Also, as you can see, between 6k and 8krpm the tuned bike wasn't even as good as the standard bike with the system on it. Interesting. This is irrelevant though. What is relevant is that the price of the 'tuning' work is vastly more than the cost of a system. Also, a modified bike is harder to sell. With just a system, if need be you can slap the original back on the bike for selling, then flog your performance one and get more cash back. Win Win.

some pipes are great and expensive!!! but most pipes dont do very well and dont really put the power where you need it... 1-3hp w/most around 1.5........i did porting, cams, carb for the cost of high end exhaust and got bigger gains..i ran it for 2yrs w/no prob....even a BigBore is 500.00 and will get you 3-4 hp....here in the US image is sustained at all costs!:excuseme:........sad but true

Did you not ask a similar question to this a few weeks ago Swapper?

No offence dude just curious.

Here is the dyno test results that someone posted up earlier in that thread. What more do you need to know?

Bike A is standard.

http://www.svenskmotorsport.com/multimedia/archive/00325/SMS_nr132009_avgasr_325839a.pdf

yeh mate sure did, im just trying to get as much information as i can before going out and spending that much money on something, i ended up ordering a full yoshimura stainless system for the 2010 the other day, im sure it will be great

You can bolt on an aftermarket system, re jet if needed, enjoy the extra power and forget about it. However if you modify it further with cams, porting, high comp piston etc etc you are shortening the fuse of that eventual blow up and increasing the maintenance requirements and the initial outlay of cash and the labour to get it fitted if your not capable. Not to mention the expense and issues with buying/storing race fuel. So in my mind a system is better value for money, I won't ever bother with internal tuning on a 4st I don't think. The more you tune an engine, the less reliable it becomes and the more money you have to spend to achieve small gains.

thats exactly what i think

i may be delusional but i sware my fmf power bomb (header only) opened up my bikes top end and for some reason the stock jetting worked better after i put the pipe on.

BINGO... We put a P/C slip on at first but two weeks ago my son crashed and bent the header. Replaced it with the powerbomb and my son says a little better top end.....

You can bolt on an aftermarket system, re jet if needed, enjoy the extra power and forget about it....So in my mind a system is better value for money, I won't ever bother with internal tuning on a 4st I don't think. The more you tune an engine, the less reliable it becomes and the more money you have to spend to achieve small gains.

thats exactly what i think

Hear, hear, buy a good brand name exhaust system, as was said before here, and at resale time you can expect good auction action when u sell it separately. Good luck recouping anything for porting! Love my Yoshi RS2. Not only does it look incredible (bling), but it puts the horsepower improvements right where the 'Zook' needs it! On top of that, when someone sells a clean used Yosh system on ebay, the bids stack up nicely. We all love to spend money, so when you do, spend it wisely!

yeh mate sure did, im just trying to get as much information as i can before going out and spending that much money on something, i ended up ordering a full yoshimura stainless system for the 2010 the other day, im sure it will be great

Hey Swapper Widebody (thats what a 747 is, right?), b sure to report back to us your before and after results on that Yoshi system! We'd all like to know im sure. When do you get your 2010 RMZ 250? Do you already have it? I'd love to hear your review of the new efi bike overall too!

Stay pinned!

Fishfreq

-------<')))><