gold/brass/bronze/copper colored wear metals?

I keep having very fine gold dust particles show up in my oil drains.

Ever see anything like this in yours?

What inside the engine/trans is in this color neighborhood?

I don't know if it's a wear metal, or something normal coming from the clutch or what?

sounds like the crank berings

Been doing it since the first oil change...

And it still doesn't have 'a lot' of hours on it.

It's only had a few tanks of gas through it.

I change the oil really often... basically after every significant ride or so.

I've tried different oils and different viscosities... still see it.

Someone told me this morning that it could be clutch stuff, as some of those parts in mine are yellowish tan.

Test with a magnet? Dunno what the fibers are made of....

It is a bearing failing somewhere. Most likely it is the main crank brgs. You can take the flywheel off and inspect the cage on the left one to see it is ob-longed shaped around the balls themselves.

Is this for your KFX ATV?

There is more going on in his engine than in our KX engines.

He has TWO pretty beefy brass/bronze output shaft sleeves to worry about, plus a reverse gear with a pretty big brass retainer in the trans...

If he keeps his final drive chain way to tight...

The clutches in the KFX ATV use sintered bronze friction plates....

So, again, is this for your KFX ATV?

If so, go to the ATV forums for more detailed answers to your particular machine.

Is this for your KFX ATV?

There is more going on in his engine than in our KX engines.

He has TWO pretty beefy brass/bronze output shaft sleeves to worry about, plus a reverse gear with a pretty big brass retainer in the trans...

If he keeps his final drive chain way to tight...

The clutches in the KFX ATV use sintered bronze friction plates....

So, again, is this for your KFX ATV?

If so, go to the ATV forums for more detailed answers to your particular machine.

Thanks for the info... we were not aware of that.. and yes it is the ATV... thats why I have it in my signature.

The ATV hasn't been out long, and few are riding it.

So we are too small of a group.

You guys are a lot more experienced, knowledgeable, serious, and a whole lot more helpful.

That's why I try to lounge around here in a corner out of the way.

I try to pick up what knowledge I can that cross-applies.

The info you just gave is more than I got in a week's time from the ATV sites.

I'll double check the chain to make sure it is not getting tight anywhere in the travel.

What do you think about doing an oil analysis sample?

I understand. Its just that, looking at the type of build, even though some of the engineering seems the same, there are many more areas on your machine that would wear that type of metal.

An oil analysis would be an excellent idea, and they can tell you what metal is def disintegrating in there. You still have to go to your specific bike exploded views and parts list to see what is up. Still have to guess, which is not good. When I looked, you have an extended and strengthened output shaft with two bronze sleeves. I agree with the other guys, after you get the oil looked at, pull it apart and get a full inspection. That type of wear sounds accelerated and may cause more damage down the line. Scored cylinder, destroyed bearings, wasted valve guides. If the filter is not catching it all, check the filter and there may even be alot more debris...

Find out what it is and find it asap. Then fix it brother. I know it sux, but try to not ride it until then. Hey, you never know, it could be just your clutch overheated and disintegrated like said above.