Sign in to follow this  

Rebuilding YZ465 shock???

The monoshock on my 1980 YZ465 chassis is shot and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. I've seen it mentioned before that certain companies will do it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Get a factory manual and you can easily rebuild the shock at home and save a bunch. A couple simple tools help also! I have done a few shocks and it is actually pretty simple.

Some Pro-Action locations can rebuild it. I'm sure the original in TN can.

I heard Sage suspension does a good job on old YZ shocks. They're in CT.

Thor Lawson can probably do it. He specializes in Fox forks and shocks but can do a YZ shock rebuild if he's not too busy. Search for Thor Lawson and you'll find his website. He's located in VA.

I had Joe Rafael at Cycle Suspension rebuild my '78 YZ250 shock because Thor was too busy at the time. I have a 1981 YZ250 and I'll have him do the shock once I'm ready to rebuild it. Search for cyclesuspension and you'll find the website. They're in TX.

Cliff, at Piper Performance in Texas, does a lot of vintage suspension for the guys in our Vintage racing club, the TVRC. He rebuilt the shock in my '82 RM250 and it works great.

www.piperperformance.com

PM me, I have a rebuilt shock for a 80 465 that only had 2 5 lap motos on it when my frame broke. FYI, the 80 and 81 shocks were different, they will mount up but the reservoirs are different lengths.

Thanks for the info. The 81 was also rebound adjustable and I believe rebuildable. How much do you want for the rebuilt shock? Who rebuilt it?

The 80 appears to be a welded unit and Yamaha doesn't list internal replacement parts.

Thanks for the info. The 81 was also rebound adjustable and I believe rebuildable. How much do you want for the rebuilt shock? Who rebuilt it?

The 80 appears to be a welded unit and Yamaha doesn't list internal replacement parts.

It was rebuilt by Race Tech, The 80-81 shock bodies are the same, has adjustable rebound, reservoirs are different. I have the build sheet for it. It has a new seal head and shaft bumper along with the fresh oil and seals and stock spring. There was some wear showing when they disassembled it but they said it would be OK. They helped me a little with it $$$ wise so I would let it go for $150 plus shipping.

It was rebuilt by Race Tech, The 80-81 shock bodies are the same, has adjustable rebound, reservoirs are different. I have the build sheet for it. It has a new seal head and shaft bumper along with the fresh oil and seals and stock spring. There was some wear showing when they disassembled it but they said it would be OK. They helped me a little with it $$$ wise so I would let it go for $150 plus shipping.

That's a good deal. It'll cost that much for a full service with new seal head.