Bike Title for Pa

I found a bike in CL that i'm interested in, but the owner doesn"t have a title or MSO. He has a bill of sale from a local shop where he bought the bike on consignment. Is there any way in PA to get a title or MSO? Need it so I can get a plate for the bike for enduros. The price is right, but I haven't went to look at it because if I can't plate it, then I'm not interested.

You have to go through the state and pay sales tax.

You have to go through the state and pay sales tax.

Yeah, and it actually looks pretty easy, too. They can run the VIN over the phone to check for leins and to make sure it's not stolen. You give them proof you own it (bill of sale) and $$, they send you a title.

Thanks for the info. I guess I can talk with a notoray about what qualifies as a bill of sale from a private owner.

I had to fight with the state to get my title. It ended up i had to go down to WV get the orgin remade up and then send it in.

I had to fight with the state to get my title. It ended up i had to go down to WV get the orgin remade up and then send it in.

I bought a bike with no title that was originally purchased in WV. How did you start the process of retitling in WV? I don't even know who the original owner was. I got the carfax, but all that told me was that it was not stolen.

I bought mine from a dealer and yamaha sent me the the origin of sale or something like that. When I went to trade it in in pa they wanted a title. So we took the origin to the state and they said it wasn't the right kind of paper. So i had to go down to west virgina to the dealer to have them sort it out. I eventually got that origin notarized and sent it back into pa and got my title. I am not sure in your case how it would work unless you have paper work from the manufacture.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have to re-frame it.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to have to re-frame it.

Re-frame it? Did you try at least? They want the $300 for tax more than anything else. If you talk to them and are like "Ohhh, this sounds too hard, maybe I won't title it" they will help you with paperwork so they can get their money. They made it sound like home-made bill of sale with sale price, VIN, and both parties signatures was all that was needed.

I would personally pass on it, there will be another bike with the correct paperwork. I refuse to buy any motorcycles without a title, after a few bad experiences I have found that it is just not worth it!