Sign in to follow this  

BLINGING out stock wheels?

Has anybody had their stock wheels anodized? Do you have to prep them? I have a friend that works at a shop and has parts done for them and he said he can have it done for around $60. I was just wandering if anybody has done this it sounds like a cheap way to BLING! out your bike. Any feed back would be helpfull Im thinking about doing it and having a few other things done too. He said its $60 a batch which is about the size of a large laundry basket.

I had the rims on my previous bike done and they actually turned out better than my new Excels. Bob at rtrwheellacing.com did them for me and he did the prep. I'm sure that the anodizers can tell you what you need to do up front though.

Best of luck. :bonk:

Make sure they're clean, then polish them real good. The more polished they are before, the more lustrous the appearance after.

I just did mine last week. I think they came out great. I also powder coated the stock hubs black.

I have had mine done by TCR Wheel Lacing in Lodi, CA. Very good work and came out great in red.

i had mine powder coated but the thing is, it is cheap for the anodizing or powder coating but its a little pricey to get them laced and trued after that. unless of course you have a truing stand and alot of patience to do it yourself. dealers quoted me at 2 hours labor per wheel!!

Can you post any pics? pdxr6

I took some pics last night, but I guess I can't post them unless I am a TT member. If you want to give me your email I can send them to you.

I took some pics last night, but I guess I can't post them unless I am a TT member. If you want to give me your email I can send them to you.

If you are posting messages, doesn't make that you a member?

If you are posting messages, doesn't make that you a member?

Pretty sure it does!

We powdercoat and lace/true wheels all the time.

our price is around 30 a wheel, and 40 a hub (that includes removing bearings/seals + re-installing) .

lacing + truing is around 45 to 50 a wheel if the customer needs it!

DSCF0781.JPG

Powdercoated both stock rims and hubs. Relaced with Excel spoke kits with spline dive nipples. My first time to take wheels completely apart and reassemble. Turned out perfect. 15 rides still true,only have found 1 loose spoke.

Yes you can powdercoat or anadize if aluminum. A buddy does mine for me. Just performance is his company im not sure if he has a website yet. He's ion so cal. Let me see if i can post any pics. the excels are not really needed anyways... ive bent stock and aftermarket pretty easily

found a pic of when they were gold... now the hubs are a bright glossy metallic blue and rims are black. You can do spokes too but your powdercoater will hate you

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p36/Leadsled124/Moto-X/?action=view&current=Picture037.jpg

howfix_headthreadless.shtml

Those prices above from BVC are actually pretty good. One word of advice is to upgrade the stock spokes and nipples if your taking it apart. They arn't greased from factory and tend to seize up and round. You'll save a lot of headache in the future if you just get some splinedrive