1994 cr250r doesnt sound right

I just rebuilt the motor a few months ago and have rode it about 4 or 5 times. It has done this since the first run when it is at idle it sounds more like a one stroke it makes a blub blub blub soud instead of the rrriiinnnggginging sound the normal two stroke makes. When I rev it up or gas it it runs great has good power but bogs down from closed to 1/4 throttle and I have been running rich. I changed the pilot jet from a 55 to 52 and turn the air mixture screw 1.5 turns out and a 175 main jet. It ran alot better with those settings and didnt bog as much but still hasnt changed the way it ran when it idles also it is really hard to start it doesnt matter if its hot or cold

I think your piston may be in backwards, or your CRV wasn't in the right position...

Piston is in the right way I already put it in backwards once and I'm pretty sure the rc valve is installed correct I used the shop manual when I installed it

I'll start mine up tomorrow and record it for you, mine sounds like they should (:

pipe-to-silencer tight?

...everything sounds like a blown skirt to me lately...

this probably will not help but here is something to consider.since you took it all apart and seeing how it is a 94, you may want to pressure test the bottom end.i found that my intake boot was leaking really bad.not on the gasket/case but on the rubber boot to reed cage section.fixing this helped everything.did you also psi test the topend? i have a 93 i just brought back from the dead :bonk:

I think I know the sound you are talking about, I have the same thing on my 93. Can't say it has changed with a topend or a power valve cleaning either, and I think everything is in working order.

If your hardware is stock and you are going to try and jet it, have you followed the little chart the shop manual gives to use as a baseline?

Or what about a jd jetting kit?

For me I don't go nuts with the jetting because on paper, with all the altitude and temp changes, this is honestly too much work for us and the average joe trail riding we do.

But I can tell one way or the other when the bike is acting blubbery right off idle and it can suck at times. It actually slows me down in allot of situations I noticed.

With that being said, I am 280 pounds before gear and am not sure how much that plays into the snappy factor, plus I have the heaviest flywheel weight on my bike.

It has a pretty smooth power delivery, but the meat of it definately comes on and is most powerfull in the middle. It is very strong there, if I can keep it there, sometimes I can even ride a gear high. It kind of levels off at the upper end unless I am screaming it.

When you say it runs bad and it is hard to start, are all these things new to you since your rebuild?

My bike is easy to start year round on stock jetting. If I prop myself up next to a tree so I don't have to balance, and I have rolled the bike a bit with the gas on, I can get it to start on the first kick. As long as I position the piston at top, balance and get a good footfull and push through the peg, rather than a sloppy kick bacwards.

With the bike cold, I always start it with the choke on, no gas. If the bike has been warmed up like when you stop for a break for 10 minutes, no choke and a handfull of throttle.

To start I bought the bike in pieces for a few hundred dollars and it had a bad hot rod crank so I knew a guy and he got it warrantied for me. I had to bore it 60 over I did other upgraded such as all balls crank bearing and replacing the clutch with after market fiber plates with stock steel plates and heavy duty clutch springs. The bike came with an FMF pipe and a powercore 2 silencer that I re-packed. The pipe does have some dents and dings in it and I'm not sure if that would cause any problems with it or not.

I have not used a jet kit but I am running a 52 pilot jet, 175 main, needle clip is in the 3rd postion and the air screw is 1.5 turns out. The bike does run great in mid-range and top end and when I changed the jetting last time it did idle which is was an improvement.

Completely rebuilt 94 CR250 (top, bottom, everything!), all stock minus the Wiseco piston, running 190 main 72 pilot at 3rd clip at sea level. (yea its jetted fat, but the bike loves it)

This might be a stupid question but did you check you reeds? Does the bike make the power it should when riding it?

I listened to your recording and my bike sounds like it idles at half that speed but it does have good power when I ger on it but it feels like its not all there it takes a bit to get the wheel off the ground if I get on it. I did put new boysen reeds in it but I havent checked them since I installed them.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ashfmxuk
      So Been rebuilding my bike and the rubber mallet just "wouldn't cut it"!!!!
      I had to pry managed to sand down it all looked flat but this seems a bit gappy.

This is only on the outer edge but I can help worry this is going to leak or get shit into the engine.
      Any help or advice would be awesome thanks

• By Kaito Sutton
      Hey guys, so cant find much online about cr 250r enduro conversions (nothing recent) so im wondering if it is an option or not. I currently have a crf 250x 2009 and a XR 650r. If i want a 2 stroke enduro but want to stick with the honda line up, is a 2007 or 2005 honda cr 250r a good option. and if so what would need to be done to it to get it up to spec for trail and enduro riding. Thanks very much
    • By dirtbikesrule
      If you own a 2 stroke dirtbike,please reply once. Im just wondering how many people on this site have them.
    • By skipn8r
      Note: This specifically applies to the '92 - '01 CR250 engine, but it should be adaptable to any 2-stroke. The basic idea is to pull the carb and exhaust, plug one and pressurize the engine through the other to look for leaks.
      It's very important to pressure test a 2-stroke after it's assembled. The reason is that a 2-stroke gets it's lube through the pre-mix. An air leak means your engine can run lean. Lean means too little fuel. Too little fuel means too little lube. Too little lube means death to your engine. So here we go.
      First, you need to pull the seat, tank, shock, carb and pipe. Everything you need (other than a tire pump) is shown below.

The assembly below is basically a 1-3/4" PVC plug (same OD as the intake pipe ID) that is transitioned down to a 0-15 psi gauge, a shut-off valve and a Schrader valve (to connect a tire pump). The 1-3/4" PVC plug is a tight fit in the intake pipe, but it'll fit with enough persuasion. I used yellow heavy duty pipe tape (made for gas systems) to put everything together. I don't have all the technical names for everything, but if you take the pictures to a hardware store, they should be able to help you piece it together.

The item below is an adjustable rubber freeze plug. They are available at automotive parts stores in various sizes, but the closest one I could make work was a 1-3/4" version. You tighten the nut which squeezes two metal plates together which squeezes and expands the rubber piece between the plates. You have to tighten it a lot, but it makes a good seal in the exhaust port.

Before you install everything, make sure that the piston is at BDC (so that all the ports are open), the spark plug is installed and all other components are properly tightened. Below, you can see the gauge/valve assembly installed in the intake pipe. Make sure to tighten your intake pipe hose clamp tightly as the pressure will tend to push the assembly out.

Below, you can see the freeze plug installed in the exhaust port.

Once you have everything installed as shown, use a tire pump to pressurize the engine to 6 - 8 psi, then close the valve and watch the gauge for any pressure drop over a 5 - 10 minute period. A well sealed engine will hold pressure with no observable pressure drop for 10 minutes easily.
      One common "leak" in a healthy '92 - '01 CR250 engine (and probably other types) is through the powervalve linkage. It probably doesn't affect performance, but it'll sure throw your leak measurements off. To avoid leaks, make sure the powervalve linkage is correctly lubed (per the Service Manual) with grease and Moly 60 Paste during assembly.
      If your engine holds pressure with no observable drop for 10 minutes, you're good to go. If the pressure drops 2 - 3 psi or more over 10 minutes, spray soapy water all around the pressure test parts first to check for leaks there. If you find none on the test setup, start spraying the soapy water around the base gasket, head gasket, center gasket etc. Any pressure drop of less than 2 psi over 10 minutes is your call, but I'd definitely fix it.
      I've had really good results by using Permatex Copper Gasket Sealant on the base gasket, PV cover gasket and reed cage gasket. I don't use anything on the head gasket.
    • By ulmanb
      What value would you say a 1986 cr250 with a freshly plated cylinder and new top end, newer tires, newer chain & sprockets, in overall very good condition?
      I picked up the bike (cheap) a month or so ago in need of cylinder replating & top end. Apparently the headgasket blew internally scouring the cylinder. The crank feels good and the bike is very clean/good condition.
      I havent put the bike together yet (too busy to ship cylinder and order parts), but figure I would have a total of $600 (including bike cost) to get it into good running cond.
      A friend wants to buy it as-is for his 15 yr old 200# kid. What value wouldyou put on it in As-is condition vs with a fresh engine?