Showa shock rebound stuck?

I'm presently doing an oil change on the rear shock on a 1996 XR600R. Have done several oil changes on previous Hondas and never had this problem before. I have the shock upside down in vise, fill reservoir to within and inch of top, install bladder, add air to bladder, and then fill body to within and inch of top and install shaft. I can push the shaft in ok, but when I proceed to pull it out to bleed it will not pull out. I checked the rebound valve at top of shaft and it seems to be free. Shock worked before attempting to change oil. Any help would be most appreciated.

Did you remember to adjust the rebound all the way OUT before you took the shock apart?

You were correct on my not turning out the damping adjusters. I ended up backing the rebound out all the way and running a coat hanger sized wire through the top of the rod assy and pushed the floating rebound valve down. I was then able to bleed the shock normally. Thank you.

You got it! (and believe me - we've all done that at one time or another!)

You can usually just re-assemble and when you charge it with nitrogen it will free up.

You can usually just re-assemble and when you charge it with nitrogen it will free up.

Right, but it makes it very difficult to bleed it before you get to recharging the nitrogen. That was the issue he was having.