WR250 too big?

Hello all, I have a bike size question. I have a large 13 year old aggressive trail rider who has riden his ttr125L into pieces over the last 2 years and it is time for an upgrade. He is 5'5" tall and weighs about 125 pounds. I am reluctant to get a ttr230 for the fear he will be board with it in about a week but the thought of a WR for him makes me a little nervous. I ride a KLX450 but have never ridden a WR250. He is a very good rider and can keep up with us adults everywhere but the straights. Let me know your thoughts on which bike would be best for someone with his size, age and ability. Thanks alot in advance.

ive seen 13 yr olders race yz250f's so yea! if you think he is ready. my be a little heavy for him to pick up if he falls! get him one with the E- button!

I'm close to the same size as him,5'6 135.I hav an 06' wr250 and absolutly love this thing.With one foot on the peg I can keep my other planted on the ground,with both feet down I'm on my toes.

The other option in my opinion would be a 125cc 2 stroke.(kx cr yz rm)

Slightly lighter but still has excellent power and he shouldn't get bored with it at all.

Slightly lighter but still has excellent power and he shouldn't get bored with it at all.

I didnt think of that !!that would be a better option i think!:bonk:

The WR could be a little tall for him. I think if you get him one, he'll smoke you.... power to weight ratio. He'll love it and you'll have an alternate if he doesn't go. You might also find out the KLX is a little heavy. All of my buddies who rode open class either went to 250Fs, 2-stroke KTM300, or 2-stroke YZ250.

I wouldn't hesititate about getting him a bigger bike like the WR250F and here's why. My guess is that if he's 13 yrs old & 5'-5", he'll probably tack on another 4-5" in the next 6 months. At that point, he'll be perfectly fine with the WR.

Btw, Make sure you have him REALLY beg for the bike though. You only have a few more opportunities to get him to hop thru flaming hoops, so milk this one real good. :bonk:

Get the WR250 - he will not outgrow it. He is bigger than my wife and all I had to do for her was cut the seat down, drop the forks through the triple clamps and lower the rear 25mm via the shock. He will probably be fine with the just the lower seat, and in a year or two you can get a new full height SDG seat.

Yeah and absolutely make him beg!!!

If you are getting a new one, you can always not do any of the "free mods" that reallly wake the bike up until you feel he can handle the speed.

He mabey a ittle short but if he is like other 13 year olds he will not have a problem and learn to deal with the height quick.

He's turning 14 teen, 5.5'-- next spring? - That would be a good choice -- I moved my son into a wr250f last year, he was at the same height. This year @ 15 and were eye 2 eye and he's been eyeball'n my 450,lol. He started the year before on a 06 crf150f -- great bike -- My son's first time out on the wr250f, was hilarious -- when he stopped -- where's the ground( 05-06wr is a Clydesdale? ) after picking the bike up three times, he began to pic and choose where to stop and learned how to hang a leg. What I found was that he needed a bike capable to hang with dad. If I had to do it again, I wish I put a lowering link on it for him and shaved the seat - He has had some spills, luckily he's been alright. That extra power and mx suspension has saved him and his body, allot. If you get your son one, put a longer throttle screw in it, so he has half throttle, till he gets familiar to it!

I presume you mean the WR250R and it's .9 inch lowering via the shock clevis; obviously the WR250F does not have the lowering option (I say this since this is being discussed in the WR250F forum).

To the original poster, how about a KX100?

Get the WR250 - he will not outgrow it. He is bigger than my wife and all I had to do for her was cut the seat down, drop the forks through the triple clamps and lower the rear 25mm via the shock. He will probably be fine with the just the lower seat, and in a year or two you can get a new full height SDG seat.

Yeah and absolutely make him beg!!!

My son got the wr new on 07 for his 14th bday. I dropped the forks half an inch in the sliders and bought a Ballards lowering link that took 20 minutes to put on. He came off a lovely CRF230. He really blossomed with thw WRF its better dynamics and engine gave him confidence to step up to the next level.

I could not think of a better or more forgiving bike for a young lad that has potential to grow with them for 3 or 4 years. Just do it.

I presume you mean the WR250R and it's .9 inch lowering via the shock clevis; obviously the WR250F does not have the lowering option (I say this since this is being discussed in the WR250F forum).

To the original poster, how about a KX100?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645275&highlight=

Thanks for everyone's help, I have decided to get the WR and lower it with the link and fork position. With all the advice I am confident he will have a bike that will grow with him. I contemplated the 2 strokes but where we ride there are big time noise restrictions so I am trying to stay four stroke with stock mufflers, better to ride quiet than not at all....

Cool, Kiddo gets a new ride. :bonk:

Here's a thought- the riding season is just about over. How about just dropping the rear end a bit by reducing the shock's preload, maybe raise the forks a bit, and then just ride out the rest of this season with that set up? Make sure you don't go too light on the preload of course, so as to allow the spring to be loose at full suspension extension. My hunch is that your son won't need the lowering links next year and if he does, then you can always buy the parts at that time.

You and your son will love the wr250f, they are so easy to ride, break it in hard and change the oil after 20 minutes, IMO. Don't forget the camera when you bring it home, post some pic's.:bonk:

Hello all, I have a bike size question. I have a large 13 year old aggressive trail rider who has riden his ttr125L into pieces over the last 2 years and it is time for an upgrade. He is 5'5" tall and weighs about 125 pounds. I am reluctant to get a ttr230 for the fear he will be board with it in about a week but the thought of a WR for him makes me a little nervous. I ride a KLX450 but have never ridden a WR250. He is a very good rider and can keep up with us adults everywhere but the straights. Let me know your thoughts on which bike would be best for someone with his size, age and ability. Thanks alot in advance.

I was in the same boat as you are. I have a 14 year old that is 5' 7", and 125 lbs soaking wet. I started him out on a PW80 when he was almost 8, and since, it has been a constant stream of bikes, with the last being a '08 CRF 150RB. I was tired of watching him out grow a bike in less then a season. I decided to do a WR250, focusing on a '03 or newer (for the electric start), and went to look at an advertized '03, very close to me, in my price range. It's very clean with too many upgrades to list, but it was a '01. The guy was a quadtard (sorry-sometimes it fits), that had traded for it a year before, and had it confused with the 426 that he traded with. I made a very lowball offer, and he took it. We took it out yesterday, and he can ride it fine, and I love that side of it. That will be the last bike I buy for him.:bonk:

There are however, a couple of negatives. The first being he can't kick it over. I knew I should have did the electric start, but that night I talked myself into the fact that he needs to pay his dues before he get a button.:bonk: I've been looking at decompression cams, and have my fingers crossed that will take care of not being able to kick it over, if not he'll be eating pancakes 3 times a day to gain some weight. The second is, it's too tall the way I brought it home. I haven't searched yet, but I will be looking for a lowering link. So far I've noticed most companies don't go back to '01's for anything. The only other thing, is that it does have a major bog. I put a o-ring on the AP, and have messed with the air/fuel screw with no help, so next will be a smaller leak jet, and probably pilot as well.

So to sum it up, I'd say do a WR250. My Son does great on it, once it's running.:bonk:

Really great idea

i would buy the wr 250 for him or even the yz250f or any along those lines. I bought my son one and he moved from the drz 125 short wheel. the kid just ripped on that new bike and like you he could keep up with the most of us. It was a little heavy for him but i told him to just so lots of push ups and lunges to get him stonger to pick up the machine, so he did and after one month it was alot easier for him to pick up. There is a lowering link for the rear suspension that lowers the bike up to 2.5-3 inches. Its called yamalink. there is a you tube video about it. One thing I like about buying the yz250f was I was not needing to buy another later on down the road. He can do that part.