Sign in to follow this  

Lower shock bearing replacement question

Ok... I've done this before but this weekend I ran into a really weird issue and I'm not sure how I want to proceed.

My issue is with the collars and dust seals on the shock link bearing

(#53 and #27 in the image below). The image shows those two collars with the small end facing OUT from the bearing, with the dust seal going over the top of the collar.

I tried, and tried and tried, but it just does not seem like its going to happen. At BEST, the dust seals will be begging to come loose if I put the collars that way (even if I could get them to stay in at all, which I can't). Whats weird is that if I install the collars and dust seals the same way I did with the other ones (bearing first, then dust seal, then collar, with the small end facing in toward the bearing), it all fits up perfect and looks correct. It just doesnt seem right to me to have the wider side of the collar inside the dust seal, up against the bearing (the circumfrence is all wrong).

Please tell me I'm reading the diagram wrong or doing something else thats stupid...

2369_REAR%20SHOCK%20ABSORBER.gif

Did you buy the kit with the upper and lower bearings and seals? If so you may have put the wrong seals in the top. They are very similar, They fit just like the pic shows. :bonk:

I bought a linkage bearing replacement kit, interesting part is that particular bearing / collars / seals were in a separate bag and came with a tiewrap holding them all together. Its almost like the bearing is too wide or something. I've done the linkage before and I don't remember having this issue before... weird.

I bought a linkage bearing replacement kit, interesting part is that particular bearing / collars / seals were in a separate bag and came with a tiewrap holding them all together. Its almost like the bearing is too wide or something. I've done the linkage before and I don't remember having this issue before... weird.

Sounds like someone had it open.... Maybe they sent you the wrong stuff!

All I can say is "Pivot Works"......:bonk:

Just did linkage bearings for my 06 crf. this bearing is not included in PivotWorks linkage kit. this is shock bearing, maybe therefore it is added separately. I went to dealer and bought oem. there wasn't any possibility to install wrong because one side of side collar sit in main collar and other side is in dust seal diameter. only i don't remember collars small end facing side