Sign in to follow this  

230 lowering link problems

I have a CRF230F (07) and purchased a link from someone that had it on their CRF150F. It lowered his 150 1.5 inches and from what I could tell should lower my 230 about 2. When I swapped them out and it raised the bike if anything. It won't hardly sit on the side stand now on level concrete. I reduced the static sag a lot just to get it back to normal height. The new link looked to be about .25 inches longer than the old link. Any ideas what could be wrong?

I have a CRF230F (07) and purchased a link from someone that had it on their CRF150F. It lowered his 150 1.5 inches and from what I could tell should lower my 230 about 2. When I swapped them out and it raised the bike if anything. It won't hardly sit on the side stand now on level concrete. I reduced the static sag a lot just to get it back to normal height. The new link looked to be about .25 inches longer than the old link. Any ideas what could be wrong?

If the linkage piece is longer it is going to raise the bike...I think the ratio is 4 or 5:1, meaning a 1/4" longer link will raise the suspension about 1" or slightly more.

If the linkage piece is longer it is going to raise the bike...I think the ratio is 4 or 5:1, meaning a 1/4" longer link will raise the suspension about 1" or slightly more.

I disagree. A longer link lowers the bike by rotating the shock link downward.

One other point: The longer link also smooths out the progression of the suspension by increasing the leverage on the shock which makes the suspension plusher throughout the stroke, but can cause the bike to bottom out easier. On my CRF230F, I chose to install a Kouba link with an adjustable height shock. I then ran the suspension back up to stock height. The suspension is much more forgiving on the roots and rocks, and so far I haven't had any issues with bottoming (but I'm not busting out any 100' triples either).

I disagree. A longer link lowers the bike by rotating the shock link downward.

I may have it backwards but I'm pretty sure my BBR linkage piece is longer than the stock one...I'll have to check tonight.

Exactly! That's why some tall riders/racers use aftermarket links; the extra leverage provides much better plushness on the braking bumps while giving the rear wheel better traction. They decrease race sag or set up the rear shock to maintain laden seat height just as you did. Usually a few clicks IN of the rebound helps negate any extra stored energy due to the increased leverage.

One other point: The longer link also smooths out the progression of the suspension by increasing the leverage on the shock which makes the suspension plusher throughout the stroke, but can cause the bike to bottom out easier. On my CRF230F, I chose to install a Kouba link with an adjustable height shock. I then ran the suspension back up to stock height. The suspension is much more forgiving on the roots and rocks, and so far I haven't had any issues with bottoming (but I'm not busting out any 100' triples either).

the bbr link raises the bike and the kouba lowers it.we used the kouba and installed the bbr springs and it lowered the bike but keeps it up in the proper portion of the stroke.we also dropped the forks in the triple trees to balance the bike and make it turn better,about 3/4" if i remember correctly.it does make the kickstand seem longer.

Just to add to this, I installed the Kouba lowering link on my wifes 09 230f. It lowered it 2" and I also adjusted preload in shock to allow a bit more sag for her. Now she can touch the ground, but the kickstand was too long since it is now lowered. I called the dealer and ordered a kickstand from a 08 150f and it works perfectly. The new kickstand was about 2 1/2" shorter.

Now she can touch the ground, but the kickstand was too long since it is now lowered. I called the dealer and ordered a kickstand from a 08 150f and it works perfectly. The new kickstand was about 2 1/2" shorter.

What I did was cut 2 in out of old kick stand and weld the kick stand back together and paint black. easy as 123 if you have welding equipment.