Is this KTM for me? Price??

I came across an ad for a 2003 KTM 250 sx. I will start by saying i have never owned a KTM before so i am a little hesitant to buy one. The only reason im looking at it is because all the yz's in my area are waaayyy overpriced.

So i have a few questions..

1. What would you pay for this bike??(what is this bike worth??)

2. How does this bike compare(HP/ Tq) to a same year yz 250??

3.Is there anywhere to find graphics kit and preprints for the bike??

The bike appears to be in good shape. Has new chain and sprockets, FMF pipe. What do you guys think??

Here are some pics..you can click on them to make bigger.

ktm3.jpg

ktm2.jpg

ktm1.jpg

1. I am thinking $1500 to $1800, don't quote me though. lol

2. The 03 SX is one of the meanest 250 moto bikes ever built. It has wicked power and I bet it would be more than the YZ. Can you control that power is the question.:bonk:

3. ridepg.com

nice bike from the pics. check the shock, wheels, and swingarm bearings for play.

the rear brake lever looks low.

1. I am thinking $1500 to $1800, don't quote me though. lol

2. The 03 SX is one of the meanest 250 moto bikes ever built. It has wicked power and I bet it would be more than the YZ. Can you control that power is the question.:bonk:

3. ridepg.com

nice bike from the pics. check the shock, wheels, and swingarm bearings for play.

the rear brake lever looks low.

Alright, Thats what i was thinking too. I have mostly owned 450's over the past several years. Im done with the valve adjustments and headaches thinking my bike is a time bomb waiting to blow up.

Being in college i decided to go back to a 2 stroke. I never considered KTMs before, but this one looks good and all the reports i have seen said the motor is very powerful for a 250..:bonk:

I am pretty sure that is a 2002 250SX, The 2003 had a gold powder-coated frame instead of silver, it had completely different graphics and also had the one piece rear fender/number plates and an orange gas tank. The water pump and cases are also different and the airbox cover popped on and off in 2003 and in that picture the cover has the fasteners.

I know the 2003 250sx was a beast and had close to 50hp stock, but handled terribly. but this bike isn't a 2003

good catch Covey.:bonk: makes sense, the SX's always get the new stuff a year earlier and 04 was the first year the offroad bikes had the one piece rear fender.

$1500 max.

handling can be squared well enough with proper setup.

nice bike for it's age, though.

I am pretty sure that is a 2002 250SX, The 2003 had a gold powder-coated frame instead of silver, it had completely different graphics and also had the one piece rear fender/number plates and an orange gas tank. The water pump and cases are also different and the airbox cover popped on and off in 2003 and in that picture the cover has the fasteners.

I know the 2003 250sx was a beast and had close to 50hp stock, but handled terribly. but this bike isn't a 2003

Your correct, I asked the owner again and he said it was a 2002. He had previously told me it was on 2003.

So what would you say its worth now that i know its an 02??

How did the 02 motor compare to the 03?? Thanks.

I'd start at $1300.00 and let the seller get you too pay $1500.00. KTM parts aint cheap.

when i need parts (rare) i pay about the same for ktm parts vs parts for my kx, or dr650.

For the OP, the 2002 was the old engine, so it's a few lbs heavier, but they are bombproof. The bike certainly looks better than my 2002 (14,000 hard offroad miles when i sold it in 2006).

The main issue with any ktm of that era is the suspension may be a bit harsh for rocky terrain (probably ok in sand tho). That is easily fixed with a revalve.

OK First off I wanna say I'm here the KTM 2 stk section because I gonna buy my 5th KTM . A new 250 sx that will recieve a 300 cylinder.

MYTH "no"...... ktm parts are pricey.admittedly they tend too be very durable so they will tend to go through less parts. But I did a little comparison 07 cr250 vs 07 250sx. My sources cyclehutt ktm and service honda. Now if somebody can tell me where to get ktm parts cheaper please do, thats why im here. so here goes.

cylinder cr250 $291 250sx $793

crankshaft comp cr250 $194 250sx $793

piston kit cr250 $103 250sx $159

shift lever comp cr250 $38 250sx $73

l radiator cr250 $130 250sx $372

Now again I'm buyin a new KTM not a Honda not here to upset anybody but tell mewhere too get KTM parts cheaper please. No offence really...:bonk:

Most typical wear items on the KTM, especially the ones available from aftermarket, are pretty much the same price as Japanese. Rebuild items like getting the crank or cylinder done is the same price. I have owned all brands of Japanese dirtbikes and this KTM is probably the cheapest and most durable bike I have owned.

OK First off I wanna say I'm here the KTM 2 stk section because I gonna buy my 5th KTM . A new 250 sx that will recieve a 300 cylinder.

MYTH "no"...... ktm parts are pricey.admittedly they tend too be very durable so they will tend to go through less parts. But I did a little comparison 07 cr250 vs 07 250sx. My sources cyclehutt ktm and service honda. Now if somebody can tell me where to get ktm parts cheaper please do, thats why im here. so here goes.

cylinder cr250 $291 250sx $793

crankshaft comp cr250 $194 250sx $793

piston kit cr250 $103 250sx $159

shift lever comp cr250 $38 250sx $73

l radiator cr250 $130 250sx $372

Now again I'm buyin a new KTM not a Honda not here to upset anybody but tell mewhere too get KTM parts cheaper please. No offence really...:bonk:

BUSTED:smirk: KTM stuff is more expensive........ Then again not many people with an 07 250sx need a cylinder and crank shaft. You can buy a whole gently used 08-09 sx motor from KYMike on KTMTalk for the price they are asking for a crank.

You know the one thing that I always wonderd about, KTM is/was a company that makes radiators. and only cause I crushed one on my 380. Did i find out how expensive their rads are,one would think theyd be cheaper..lolol go orange...

just don't crush your radiators and you will be fine :bonk: