Gifford Pinchot Trail Report 10-17 / Discussion on Improvements

My buddy Trev and I did 60 miles yesterday out of Council. Boundary to Juniper to Tongue Mtn, returning on Valley Trail. We planned to shoot up Blue Lake to Yozoo to Hamilton Buttes yet I rear flatted on Tongue Mtn and figured it best to ride smooth Valley Trail back to Council.

There was no trace of snow and the sun actually broke out at Jumbo Peak for a little photo op. Trev drop the link when you get photos/video uploaded. Not much activity apparently on Valley lately as we cleared 3 different trees crossing the trail thanks to my handy Gerber hand saw.

A few comments to spur discussion:

1. The only riders we saw all day were heading south on Juniper up Devil's Staircase. With the moist soil the trail carnage to motivate a bike up that incline was excessive IMO. Has anyone in power considered making Juniper a one way trail, south to north? I realize the trail guide states it 'should be ridden south to north', yet maybe it needs stronger language and signs at the trail entrance of direction? Maybe in dry conditions with a good rider the trail would not suffer...leaving the exception to the rule for those that know how to not damage the trail?

2. If Juniper is to be truly considered a south to north route, there needs to be better options to return south. Langille is good for riders with brass ones...I don't enjoy that much side-hilling...vertigo kicks in. The only other option is to cross the Cispus and ride Valley Trail or something around Blue Lake south, crossing the Cispus and doing some road riding past Adams Fork CG. Road 5601 is not much of a road so I don't mind riding my dirt bike down it from Adams. Green Mtn makes a good loop yet bridge is out with no ETA on replacement.

3. Could trail be installed from Adams to connect 265 East Canyon Ridge? Or could East Canyon Ridge be connected across Road 23 to Council Lake somehow? Both of these connections are broken by bridges out (Chain of Lakes and East Canyon apparently) so bridges are a key here as well.

Bottom line us dirt only guys really don't want to ride the gravel roads and are willing to pitch in to build and maintain trails to make good loops...how do we make that happen? I'm thinking a long weekend work party early next summer as soon as the snow melts to work on the section of Boundary Trail that heads east out of Council Lake...it is in dire need of cinder blocks and rock to keep the rut from getting deeper.

Thoughts? Plans?

RMJ

I agree with you about riding up the devils stair case trail. It tears it up bad even if you are a decent rider. Bad thing is too that most of the hikers I have seen in the GP have been on this trail. I can imagine what they say :bonk:

It does say on the website not to go north to south but I guess some riders just don't care if it get's closed down. Too bad...

Thoughts are ...the current GP Forest Plan outlines a wide range of trail improvements and trail additions. This was all stalled by the Federal Court decision on the Juniper/Langille trail improvement project several years ago. Bottom line is that the Forest Service cannot do any real improvements or additions without doing a Cummlative Study of the Motorized Recreation Forest Wide. Under todays' political conditons a Forest Wide Study would be a risky proposition to the current trail inventory. Second is the matter of the cost -a cummlative study will cost big bucks -where is the money going to come from -in past years this is where our ORV NOVA program was a godsend.....but not now as it has be severely gutted by recent internal reorganizations of the IAC into a different named more anti-ORV commitee then the recent budget theft of funds ......

All this talk about politics and studies makes me sick. Whatever happened to 'government for the people and of the people' or however that went. Seriously, there are enough folks who love the Giff to put the manpower behind solving some of the problems with the current trail system. All we need is Forest Service approval and management.

Anyone have any ideas how to positively move forward? Can we fundraise to support this cumulative study or is that likely to do more damage to our ability to ride in the Giff? Has BRC been involved in defending our right to ride in GPNF?

Or am I just :bonk: and instead I should buy a trials bike and build a trials course on private property so my government can't tell me how to ride it?

RMJ

Devils staircase used to be near impossible to go up 10 years ago. It is much better now if you can imagine that. Unfortunately that means people do it and yes, it gets torn up some.

Doing work up there / adding trail is hard. Most of it gets done off the radar as that is the only way it seems to get done period. Building new trail will get us kicked out for good unless it is approved. Unfortunately i don't see anything getting approved and the greenies have a hard on to get us out even though i see very little hiking use other than right near Council and chain of lakes.

Do trail maintenance, help where you can and hope for the best.

what he said

Is there any chance to get FS support of a trail maintenance weekend next summer? I would put some effort into getting the mapower up there if FS provides equipment, bricks, rock, etc. Or are bricks typically contributed pro-bono by us riders?

Is there any chance to get FS support of a trail maintenance weekend next summer? I would put some effort into getting the mapower up there if FS provides equipment, bricks, rock, etc. Or are bricks typically contributed pro-bono by us riders?

there's plenty of bricks on hand, just manpower needed, summer 2009 was used up on a very ambitious project thanks to steve doane. next summer just watch for the work party posts:thumbsup:

Can you provide more info...when you say plenty of bricks, are those FS, DNR, or ? owned? Do they deliver to a staging area (like Council) or do you have to pick them up in town? Is there a trail machine available for hauling bricks and rock? Can you provide a contact so I can PM/email to set this up for next summer?

Bottom line I can round up some manpower (sure others on TT will show besides my riding buddies), just need to figure out the logistics of supplies and equipment.

What was the ambitious 2009 project BTW?

RMJ

The idea of one way trails has been brought up many times. Decrease wear on a trail, avoid head-ons and diffficult passing situations on the quad routes. The problem is, the Forest Service would be opening itself up to law suits. "The sign saying one way was missing, I did not know it was one way" or "it is one way and I did not expect anyone coming the other way". The other problem with this is enforcement, if you make a policy, it should be enforced, how could the FS do that?

New bridge on the 80 trail...

Correction, the bridge isn't new. We merely performed a little preventive maintenance on the "existing" bridge.

New bridge on the 80 trail...

Correction, the bridge isn't new. We merely performed a little preventive maintenance on the "existing" bridge.

Absolutely. :bonk: heck, most the top part IS the original bridge.

One area in the GP that could use some work is on the boundary trail at Yellowjacket Pass. Out of the saddle heading east to the trail 4 intersection and beyond a bit. The tread is getting rutted pretty bad with some large root wad step ups. The problems is with the step ups -non-aggressive riders get hung up and dig holes.... The climb out of the saddle in both directions is challenging for most due to the grade and root wads :bonk::ride::bonk: and has always had rutting problems of some degree.

We rode Trail 1, Trail 2, Trail 80, Trail 3 and Trail 1 from the end of the 29 Road yesterday -the rain stopped just before we got back to the truck! We got wet and visability was not the best but it was a great day in the saddle.

Got a good look at a Mountain Goat -20 feet in front of me standing in the trail. Watched him climb right up the rock wall above the trail like it was nothing! Happened so fast I couldn't get the camera out....

We rode Trail 1, Trail 2, Trail 80, Trail 3 and Trail 1 from the end of the 29 Road yesterday -the rain stopped just before we got back to the truck! We got wet and visability was not the best but it was a great day in the saddle.

Got a good look at a Mountain Goat -20 feet in front of me standing in the trail. Watched him climb right up the rock wall above the trail like it was nothing! Happened so fast I couldn't get the camera out....

We rode a lot of the same trails that you did 2 days ago. The conditions were fantastic a little wet in the morning but firmed up later.

We rode a lot of the same trails that you did 2 days ago. The conditions were fantastic a little wet in the morning but firmed up later.

It was a little soupy in places after the rain Tuesday night -definitely wanted the big mo to get over the step ups.....

Did a nice little 65 mile rip today in perfect conditions around sharky, down CC to 19 then to the 90 rd from 18.

If anyone feels like sawing a large tree out of 18 Table mtn trail 3 miles up to avoid the go arounds grab your saw cause there is a 24" one down there.

LG

looks like we have all been hitting the same stuff. Saw some tracks but never ran into anyone.

On 3...

685944341_zRypF-L.jpg

At the cliff on boundary right after yellow jacket pass to the east...

685961719_CB7aX-L.jpg

Foliage turning colors and wet tacky ground, love gifford at the end of the season.

685963767_4kTPr-L.jpg

685942777_KiaAF-L.jpg