Valve clearance 2007 DRZ 400sm

I just checked my valves for the 1st time today on my 2007 DRZ 400sm. The bike is coming up on 7500 miles so I figured i would check the valve clearance. I read that the clearance is supposed to be as follows: Intake-.10-.20mm, Exhaust - .20-.30mm.

Mine came in at the following clearance: .15 on the intake and .18 on the exhaust.

My question is, should I worry about the exhaust clearance? I've only heard of the clearance being too large, not too slim. Any suggestions?

did you have the TDc mark lined up?

With the shim & bucket cam followers, clearance always gets smaller as the valve seating face wears. You are about .001 inch out of tolerance for the EX (assuming piston was at TDC compressin stroke). Probably no big deal but it is out so why not correct it. Revove cams, tappets and shims. Read or measure the shims and buy the next size thicker. Keep in mind, service replacement shims are in increments of .002 in ( 0.05mm). Original shims came in .001 inch (0.025mm) increments. So calculate what you need from what you have.

The slightly longer closed time you get with more clearance allows more cooling time for the valve. This may or may not be important, it is just one of the reasons to keep valve clearances in spec.

Yup Eddie, the motor was at TDC. I referenced some posts on here with pics as well as pics from others at SMJ:thumbsup:. The motor is stock. Do they all come with a factory shim size in it already, or are they different shim sizes on each individual machine off the factory line. The way I figure it, I need approximately .04-.06mm thinner shims to put me at around .24-.26mm and within tolerance. Noble, I put her back together already because the weather is gonna be nice for the next couple of days. I plan on taking the valve cover off again over the weekend to re-measure the valve clearance and fix it if needed while It's down for an oil change anyways. I figured i would get the proper shim size from the shop from the info that I got from you guys and have it ready for when I take the cover back off again.

I'll assume you have a good feel for the pull on the feeler gauge too. Although most people err on the side of too loose, not often too tight as yours seem.

yea each bike shim will be different, for 80 bucks you can get a hotcams shim kit to do your bike for life and all your buddies bikes.

I'll assume you have a good feel for the pull on the feeler gauge too. Although most people err on the side of too loose, not often too tight as yours seem.

Yeah, that's what I though too......There is no way the next size up on my feeler guage set (.20mm) will go in there. If my set came with a .19 I would give that a shot, but it would still be slightly out of spec:banghead:

I looked into getting the Hotcams shim set, however, I have read several threads where people ride their DRZ's for 20,000+ miles without the valves ever being out of spec. I think it would be more prudent for me to buy the size shims from the local bike shop for this fix, rather than spend $80 on a set that I probably would never use again.

I think it would be more prudent for me to buy the size shims from the local bike shop for this fix, rather than spend $80 on a set that I probably would never use again.

Before you commit to that strategy, verify that the local bike shop will actually sell you the shims. I tried two local Suzuki dealers - they would not sell from their service dept's stock. They would only order them for me. Had to try two more independent bike shops before I found someone that would sell shims.

Before you commit to that strategy, verify that the local bike shop will actually sell you the shims. I tried two local Suzuki dealers - they would not sell from their service dept's stock. They would only order them for me. Had to try two more independent bike shops before I found someone that would sell shims.

Good advice. I will give them a call tomorrow and ensure they will part ways with a pair of shims:thumbsup: When in doubt, I will just buy the Hotcams set and be happy!

My local honda shop will trade my shims for free. I usually endup buying oil and other junk while I am there, but I never felt required to do so...

Each shop is different, and many service departments do not stock shims.. Those that are there belong to a tech..not the shop

As for many DRZ's going 20,000 miles without needing the valves adjusted.... Anything can happen, but most things are not likely..

Check your valves, adjust as needed. It'll cost you way more then $80 to have a shop do it,,, and so in the end even with a shim kit on the shelf used only once, your money ahead. If your ok with a long down time.. Measure clearance, take the cams out, check shim thickness, do the math, order the right shims on line or at a dealer,,, wait….wait…wait.. hope the right shims are shipped, pay $5-12 each.. Install.. Measure clearance.. if your off still as many first timers are… repeat procedure above..

Each shop is different, and many service departments do not stock shims.. Those that are there belong to a tech..not the shop

As for many DRZ's going 20,000 miles without needing the valves adjusted.... Anything can happen, but most things are not likely..

Check your valves, adjust as needed. It'll cost you way more then $80 to have a shop do it,,, and so in the end even with a shim kit on the shelf used only once, your money ahead. If your ok with a long down time.. Measure clearance, take the cams out, check shim thickness, do the math, order the right shims on line or at a dealer,,, wait….wait…wait.. hope the right shims are shipped, pay $5-12 each.. Install.. Measure clearance.. if your off still as many first timers are… repeat procedure above..

Good point Bronco.....as i am a rookie at this motor work, I may very well be better off with the Hotcams set. Any problems with riding for the next week or so while I wait for the big brown truck with the exhaust valves at .18mm?

the exhaust clearance should be fine

Go ride,,, adjust sooner then later