1990 ktm 600

Hi all,

I'm new to KTM and have a few questions.

I just bought a KTM it was advertised as a 1990 KTM 600. It was an impulse by from Craigslist :bonk: I looked it over and it was all there The motor kicked over just fine but it would not start.I then found out it has been in storage for 3 years. So I bought it anyway! Hey $400 complete KTM's are hard to find.

Once I got it home I pulled the subframe , plastics, fuel tank and such.

Drained the tank and flushed with fresh gas. I then pulled the carb and disassembled. Cleaned and put it back on the engine. freash fuel in the tank.

Kicked the bike ove with the Compression release held about 15 times Let go of the comp relese 1 kick and it runs great! Now I have a trail bike for the Colorado rockies!!!!!!!:bonk: :bonk: Other than my KX250F

So now the questions.

1) Is the bike a DXC? It has the head and tail lamps. So I dont think it's the MX. Kelly Blue Book only shows those 2 for the 1990 600.

2) WHAT the heck is the DXC stand for?

3) Any web sites for parts if/when I need them? I shop Rocky Mount ATV and babbitts already.

4) Do you know of any motor problems with this model?

5) did this bike come with the red frame blue motor and white plastic?

Enough for now. I'm sure I will have lots more questions this winter when I rebuild the bike.

Thanks for reading

The above post came from another place. I had it in the wrong spot cause I didnt know about the bike.

So an update...

I rode the bike. about 10mins. The next day I brought it to work and it was hard as heck to start. then it ran fine. After another 30 mins of ride time I shut it off and tried to start with no luck.

Later that day We tried again with no luck. So I tied it to a truck and pulled it and go it started. it ran fine. After the ride I tried to start it again with no luck.

A friend said to adjust the valves . And I plan to but to what clearance? .006 in. is all I found. Is this right?

Does anyone have the correct steps to starting this beast? All I do is Hold the comp relese and kick it about 10 times. set the relese and kick like my life depends on it. Any other way to do it?

Wow is this the only 1990 KTM 600 on the planet? :bonk:

I thought for sure someone here would have one or did have one at one time or another.

Gonna set the valves today and change the plug. I sure hope this helps the starting issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 620EXC - not quite as old as yours (97), but that became a pig to start. I took barrel of and replaced piston rings (although the ones there looked perfect and no sign of wear), then adjusted valve clearances (can't remember figures but I do have a manual somewhere on a PC!), then it started perfectly. I almost killed it though a few months later when I went on a long trail ride - got back, checked oil level and it was almost empty. Oil had been sucked past the valve guides - I should have checked these when I had the top off the engine!

Pete

I will try to get pics of it this weekend.

I can start it by pulling it with a quad. It only has to dump the cluct and within 1 roll of the rear it fires great. Runs perfect has loads of power. Idles great. Not 1 complaint on how it runs.

On the other hand....

Even at temp I can not kick start it!!!:excuseme:

I have tried it cold , hot , choked , not choked , Air filters in ,airfilters out, Old plug , new plug , timing moved from 1 end to the other in 1/16" incruments.I have checked and rechecked the valves about a hundred times.

It will not kick start. hook it to the wifes quad and in 1 round of the rear tire it fires right up every time.

What gives? I've been leaning in the same direction as Pedroski. Rings need to be changed. Problem is I cant find the parts for this bike.

Thanks . But I have found almost every part of the bike!!!!!! all new parts. graphics fenders frame parts engine parts bolts you name it. A place in Ohio has everything I need.I also found 2 PDF files 1 is the chassie pics and part numbers and the other is engine pics and part numbers. So all I need to do is look at the PDF and find the part numbers then type the number into the web site.

So now the fun can begin!!!! when I get the wifes quad rebuilt :excuseme:

the site I found is ALL KTM if you guys want to check it out.

http://www.holeshot.us

I can NOT say they are the cheapest or anything about them yet as I only just found the site.

Well this is the deal now. I got it started by pulling it again. But it still wont kick start. So finding the parts I need to do a top end on it I,m gonna strip the bike and restore it. I spent the day today just cleaning my shop and on Turkey Day I'm gonna start tearing it down. I will try to take pics before during and after the build in a new tread. Keeping track of all the stuff I find/found wrong.

I will let this tread die now

James

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I would love to see the finished product. I have the exact same bike in the exact same condition and I am staring at it wondering if I should break the engine down and do the top end, rings, etc. But it won't start...doesn't even tease me and pretend to want to start. Will I be throwing my $ down the drain? The other side is that I have a great winter project.. If the motor turns out to be junk, is there an alternative motor that I could throw in it, one with parts that I can easily find?