Sign in to follow this  

Winter riding in New Mexico in the mountains?

Hi There,

I will be passing through New Mexico in late November. Are there any mountain trails rideable in the southern part of the state?

Mike

near carlsbad there is excellent riding at hackberry lake recreation area. Its not mountains but guaranteed good conditions that time of year

Thanks for the tip on Hackberry Lake. I will probably be passing through there and then towards Las Cruces and past Silver City.

I've driven through Carlsbad before and noticed the mountains near Carlsbad caverns. I think it is the Lincoln NF- is there any good riding there?

I remember hearing something about single-track trails near Silver City in the mountains, but I can't recall the source now.

Mike.

Thanks for the tip on Hackberry Lake. I will probably be passing through there and then towards Las Cruces and past Silver City.

I've driven through Carlsbad before and noticed the mountains near Carlsbad caverns. I think it is the Lincoln NF- is there any good riding there?

I remember hearing something about single-track trails near Silver City in the mountains, but I can't recall the source now.

Mike.

No, Lincoln national forest ie the guadalupe mountains right by Carlsbad is not good riding. It is mostly jeep trails and rocky at best. The best mountain riding is cloudcroft but late november you could run into snow. If you are coming by carlsbad the best riding is 31 aka Hackberry lake. There is technical, high speed, sand, whoops, ravines etc... Typical day is around 100 miles and never run the same trail twice.

Las Cruces has great riding year round. Mostly desert riding tho, some good single tracks weaving back and forth everywhere. Near the mountains gets technical but mostly rocky. Mesquite Exit. (7 miles south of Las Cruces) is good area to stage if you want to ride some of our kick ass desert. Stage area is about 1.5 miles north of bridge on East Frontage rd. near billboards.

Another winter area is ust east of Socorro on the other side of I-25 (and south of is Gordy's Hill OHV area and Quebradas BLM Byway). More like high desert terrain though.

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/socorro/quebradas_backcountry_byway.html

Here are some pics of a ride I did last winter:

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc176/rodrigeo/Quebradas/?albumview=slideshow

Just got back from Cloudcroft on the 22nd. Excellent riding. Will be back next year to ride the Rim Trail.:bonk: