crf450 year differences

What is the difference of all the years? I am looking at getting a crf450 off of craigslist because people seem to be giving them away these days... Are there any years to avoid? Which years are the best? What is all the hype about everyone wanting to sell their bikes so they can get an 08? Is there anything else to look for when buying a 450? I going to try and find one that looks like it wasn't rode very much so that it wont have to much abuse.

heres the bikes ive been thinking about

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1384513102.html

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/mcy/1409541132.html

What do you guys think needs to be done to a 450 that hasn't been started in a year? Would it be better to just avoid this bike?

they changed the valve seat material in 06 (supposed to last longer than previous model). One of the guys I ride with has an 05 with just over 90 hours on it and he tends to bounce off the limiter a lot and his valves are still in spec.

My 06 has been treated very good (by me) but I bought it used a year ago and I will be doing a full rebuild this winter ($$$$) because it doesn't appear that the previous owner took care of it the way I do, but it was clean when I bought it. I had to shim the valves the first time I checked it and one intake 0'd out on me a couple weeks ago, so it is time to shell out some coin.

The 06-08 are basically the same, but the 08 is supposed to be the better of the three.

The reason everyone was jumping on the 08's was because you could get a new left over out the door for under 4500.

When you buy used, expect that you will have to do maintenance, probably a top end at the least. I don't trust anyone when buying a used bike, it is way to easy to clean them up and make them look hardly used.

Good Luck.

I have an 06 for you for $3000 in Boise, Id. Nice ride. Let me know!

Is there anything wrong with the 05s???

-02 is the first year. Had some airbox sealing issues and handling issues

-03 they fixed the airbox and used a different length rear linkage to help it corner

-04 has the same chassis as 03, updated forks with new brake caliper mount, updated motor with more compression. Great year bike, but 05 was better

-05 first of the new gen 450 frame. Much like the 250f. Updated forks, new airbox to put the motor over 50hp stock, new plastic, ergos, forks were updated to move the axle back 2mm for better handling.

-06 tiled the motor 5mm forward and down, moved radiators down 5mm, shorter forks by 7mm due to no more 20" front wheel, updated valve seat material in the heads

-07 new smaller exhaust valves, larger carb, updated front master cylinder with linkage type system. new decomp system on cam

-08 HPSD debut with new 22mm clamps. Updated cam, 1-3 gear ignition functions, new front number plate, Black LE edition available.

Basically newer the better. The 05s are great bikes! Anything 05-08 you will be happy with for sure. Most of the plastic interchanges (front/rear fender, tank, shrouds, left side plate). But the 08 has unique front number plate and 07-08 have a specific right side plate. So graphics are easy to find. Handling is good on all the bikes, the 22mm clamps really help the bike lay down in the corners.

But like mentioned a used bike may take some maintenance. So get it at a good price

[quote name=JJRace;8769019

-07 new smaller exhaust valves' date=' larger carb, updated front master cylinder with linkage type system. new decomp system on cam

[/quote]

You sure it was the 07? I almost postive the 06 and 07 have the same exhaust valves and the 08 has the smaller setup, I could be wrong but I thought that is why some people are choosing to put 08 heads on the 06.

You sure it was the 07? I almost postive the 06 and 07 have the same exhaust valves and the 08 has the smaller setup, I could be wrong but I thought that is why some people are choosing to put 08 heads on the 06.

positive

-02 is the first year. Had some airbox sealing issues and handling issues

-03 they fixed the airbox and used a different length rear linkage to help it corner

-04 has the same chassis as 03, updated forks with new brake caliper mount, updated motor with more compression. Great year bike, but 05 was better

-05 first of the new gen 450 frame. Much like the 250f. Updated forks, new airbox to put the motor over 50hp stock, new plastic, ergos, forks were updated to move the axle back 2mm for better handling.

-06 tiled the motor 5mm forward and down, moved radiators down 5mm, shorter forks by 7mm due to no more 20" front wheel, updated valve seat material in the heads

-07 new smaller exhaust valves, larger carb, updated front master cylinder with linkage type system. new decomp system on cam

-08 HPSD debut with new 22mm clamps. Updated cam, 1-3 gear ignition functions, new front number plate, Black LE edition available.

Basically newer the better. The 05s are great bikes! Anything 05-08 you will be happy with for sure. Most of the plastic interchanges (front/rear fender, tank, shrouds, left side plate). But the 08 has unique front number plate and 07-08 have a specific right side plate. So graphics are easy to find. Handling is good on all the bikes, the 22mm clamps really help the bike lay down in the corners.

But like mentioned a used bike may take some maintenance. So get it at a good price

thank you very much. this was the type of response I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it. Knowing that used bikes may be needing a top end rebuild I am trying to find a bike thats done more sitting in the garage than riding due to lack of time to ride or something like that... Like they took it out for a couple rides and thats all.

I deleted the previous 3 because they were pointless.

JJ, I deleted yours because it quoted the uselessness and I wanted it out.

Where the cam changes to the '08 for the better?

Anyone know what year forks will interchange? What years will 2004 forks and triple clamps work on?