which bike. KX 250 F or YZ 250 F.

not sure which one would suit me best. YZ OR KX. I want to get into racing. Want something which is reliable and works well with long rides. e.g. 4 -5 hours not stopping. can anyone help me with this one?

What year are you looking at?

I race XC (2 hr raves) and have had no problems with my 2006 yz250f. I have changed the valves and piston once in those 3 years (not cheap though). I cannot say anything bad about the Kawis as I have only owned a 2 stroke one, but from what I have heard just stay away from the first kx250f (03 or 04?) bc it had major issues. If they are both reasonably new, then i think you could go either way.

I race XC (2 hr raves) and have had no problems with my 2006 yz250f. I have changed the valves and piston once in those 3 years (not cheap though). I cannot say anything bad about the Kawis as I have only owned a 2 stroke one, but from what I have heard just stay away from the first kx250f (03 or 04?) bc it had major issues. If they are both reasonably new, then i think you could go either way.

yes it was the 04 kx250f and maybe the 05 not sure. They had overheating issues and valve issues but i heard if you get a PC or boyesen water pump and redo it with stainless steel valves it makes that bike solid. Overall though if its a kx250f i would say 06 and up...I had an 06 and it never once let me down.

yes it was the 04 kx250f and maybe the 05 not sure. They had overheating issues and valve issues but i heard if you get a PC or boyesen water pump and redo it with stainless steel valves it makes that bike solid. Overall though if its a kx250f i would say 06 and up...I had an 06 and it never once let me down.

04/05 had issues, and these were the same bikes as the rmz until 06 when they split apart.. the kawi is a awesome bike 06 and up, reliable and strong motors with great handling..

the yamaha is very reliable bike, my opinion doesnt ride and handle as well as the kawi but you cant go wrong with either one

im looking at buying an 09 or perhaps a 2010. I'll go all out and buy it new.

im looking at buying an 09 or perhaps a 2010. I'll go all out and buy it new.

are you strictly staying with these two makes?

You can't really go wrong with either, they both are pretty equal bikes. Neither company came with efi on the 250's. So far all I know is Honda has efi on their 2010 250r, since your buying a new bike you might as well get the newest tech. out there.

I like the looks on the Kawasaki more, but Yamaha is known to be reliable and gets things right most of the time on the first try.

You should take a look at the Honda as it has efi. Not sure about Suzuki or KTM.

yeah. the kawasaki is a nicer bike. I also heard that the yamaha is a little more mellow, than the kawasaki in the way of acceleration/ power. I am aiming at a bike which has that raw power. Is it true the yamaha is a little mellowed out?

Yeah i am mainly looking at these two makes. Not very confident with the Honda (even though they have got EFI) as my cuz got a CRF 250 and in the first month had to change valves and now 6 months down the track it has seized up on him, the oil was fine and everything, it just over heated. Needs a full engine re- build. :bonk:

Yeah i am mainly looking at these two makes. Not very confident with the Honda (even though they have got EFI) as my cuz got a CRF 250 and in the first month had to change valves and now 6 months down the track it has seized up on him, the oil was fine and everything, it just over heated. Needs a full engine re- build. :bonk:

bummer.. im going to rule luck of the draw with that one.. neither have I or all my friends has had issues with them, but choose whatever you feel best about.. remember it happens on kawi's and yami's to..

There's a lot of guys over in the KX250f forum along with me who have not seen their valves move in 50+ hours. As long as you keep up on the maintanence, Kawi's are near perfect.

The zook 250 has efi as well.

thanks for the feedback everyone. I think i've made my mind up....kawi. :bonk:

thanks for the feedback everyone. I think i've made my mind up....kawi. :bonk:

Good choice! :bonk:

I've had Suk's, Honda's, and Kawi's, they've all been pretty much reliable. I can't speak on the Yamaha, but I hear good things. Keep in mind its all in how you maintain the bike. I do prefer kawi's though.

i own a KX, and would normaly say to get one but if your going to be riding 4-5 hrs with min stops id get the YZ. in my exp the KX tend to over heat w/o an after market water pump and high preasure rad cap, but i think the kx has a more powerful engine

Yeah i've heard that rumour. The 2010 KX is supposed to have a larger radiator. This might prevent overheating, hopefully.

Yeah im after the raw power. What year model is your KX, cause the older model KX were very prone to overheating?

06's and up work fine with the stock water pump and do not overheat. However, for 04's and 05's I woild reccomend getting a boysen aftermarket impeller and cover.

I ride deep sand on my 06, and with Engine Ice in the rads, I have never felt a loss in power due to overheating. :smirk:

deep sand, that would slow it down. How many hours is on it?