690 SMC Riding Impression

Spent about 3 hrs in the saddle of my new SMC this weekend. Mostly twisty roads. Only made a quick gas stop. Bike has full FMF with quiet insert, stock filter and Akro map.

1. Power is excellent for a single. Acceleration is good enough to ride with "real" streetbikes, unless you are blasting 4 lane highways. Easy to cruise at 80 mph. Windblast is more a factor than gearing or vibration.

I've had a Husky 610 SM that, no offense to anyone, was a dog in comparison. (In fact, My DRZ ran better than the Husky.) The KTM is in another class altogether with tall gearing and the power to pull it.

2. Handling- I backed off the front damping to the last click and backed off the rear by 8 clicks to get some level of compliance. Works well. I found that I was running faster through the sweepers in damp conditions that I do on my Bandit 1250 in the dry.

3. Seat is reasonably comfortable. I was surprised that it works so well for me.

4. Off idle fueling is not real good. Think I need an airfilter to work with the current Akro map. Everywhere else it runs well. My buddy said it smelled rich from behind when he was following me, but it acts lean off idle. Guess that's why they make dynos...

5. I LOVE IT!

The Akra map works much better w/ the airbox lid removed.

check out supermotojunkie.com

Thanks, I'll try that.

That did the trick! Nice to fix something for free....

Glad to hear another rider happy with the SMC! It truly is an amazing bike and the motor is just incredible. I love mine!

Update:

Removed the "silent" insert. Not noticably louder, but the fueling manners in map 2 (aggressive map) is nearly perfect. If you buy this pipe, removing the airbox cover, no exuast insert and the Akra map is as near dialed as you can get. I expect a high flow airfilter will finish it off.

--

Rode with some veterans the other day. Riders are all track day survivers.

Bikes were Suzuki RG250, SV650, Ducti 1000GT. Straights and corner exits were comperable up to 90mph or so.. The SMC corner speed was staggering in comparison. (I've mounted Michelin full race rain tires for winter riding).

What a neat bike..

I loved to read this. Im so looking forward to getting a 2010 SMC when spring comes :excuseme:

I loved to read this. Im so looking forward to getting a 2010 SMC when spring comes :banghead:

You will love it! I would suggest looking for a left over 08 or 09 though, you will save thousands.

Prices on new is almost the same as a used one here in Norway.

http://www.finn.no/finn/mc/used/result?keyword=smc&MC_MAKE=7771

2 bikes for sale in Norway right now, the black one i can buy the same bike brand new with all the options for the exact same price and the owner refuses to go reduce his price.

And I like the new graphics on the 2010.

Also this will be my first bike so want it to be brand new i deserve it :banghead:

Paddington, far be it from me to lecture a newbie on the merits of their choice of their "first bike". Just a few things to keep in mind to save yourself some cash and skin:

I'm sure Norway has some kind of motorcycle school for beginners, these classes aren't lame or for squids. The instructors can hook you up to some good riding habits.

The SMC is a fast bike and most would not consider it a beginners bike. So if you must have it, keep in mind that you can easily get over your head in a hurry. Keep the map setting on low and break in yourself as well as the bike in the first few hundred miles.

And of course, have fun! :banghead:

/\ +1 on redtail's post. The SMC is definitely NOT a beginner bike. Great suggestion on keeping the map setting on 1 (low / mild).

I don't recall him saying it was his first bike. Just his first new bike.

Having 5 different bikes, the SMC is my favorite! Defiantly the best bike out there for the right purpose.

This bike and the new Husaberg 570 look like the best street legal supermoto bikes on the market. And they're both made under the same roof

/\ That Husaberg is VERY sweet!! I am *guessing* though, that it would be more maintenance intensive than the 690. 3000 mile oil changes and 6200 mile valve check / adjusts is pretty hard to beat, especially given the 690's performance.

Paddington, far be it from me to lecture a newbie on the merits of their choice of their "first bike". Just a few things to keep in mind to save yourself some cash and skin:

I'm sure Norway has some kind of motorcycle school for beginners, these classes aren't lame or for squids. The instructors can hook you up to some good riding habits.

The SMC is a fast bike and most would not consider it a beginners bike. So if you must have it, keep in mind that you can easily get over your head in a hurry. Keep the map setting on low and break in yourself as well as the bike in the first few hundred miles.

And of course, have fun! :cheers:

I have some riding experience from before,20 years ago.

Used to ride MX and my higly tuned 50cc road bike hwn i was 16. Took the road license this summer 20 years after i started it.

Glad I waited som long actually since i now drive wit the inside of my head rather then to go full speed everywhere like the old days.

The license training here in Norway is not a small task. It has several levels you need to pass before you can move on.

I went to a KTM dealer and took the Enduro R and Duke for a spin right after I got the license. More power then the Honda 600 school bike but not so wild either.

I decided to wait this many years a bit on purpose as I am finally mature at the age of 38. Well sort of :banghead:

And yes i will take it easy I have two boys to take care of. Dont want them to grow up without their father like I did.

My decision is to not get a Gixxer but rather a Motard. Was thinking of getting Ducati Monster but then I spotted a KTM 690 SMC and was sold :worthy:

Yes they have safety driving courses for beginners and experienced here also. Held by the Norwegian MC union. They are also the very people that has helped on how the License course is laid out.

Crashed 2 times on my 50cc learned some hard lessons on that one. Walked away with only a sore foot. I was very lucky.

I'm looking into a 690 smc after my drz was involved in a wreck. Yall make the KTM sound like a reall winner =)

I'm looking into a 690 smc after my drz was involved in a wreck. Yall make the KTM sound like a reall winner =)

I agree.... after riding a drz for half a summer it left me wanting more power and a more updated sumo. Thinking about selling the drz and the busa for a 690smc! :moon:

etc

Thinking about selling the drz and the busa for a 690smc!

Better idea, trade in the drz for a 690 smc, and keep the busa! Those two bikes would be a great addition to any garage! :moon:

Better idea, trade in the drz for a 690 smc, and keep the busa! Those two bikes would be a great addition to any garage! :moon:

yeah I wish! I can't afford to swing that much cash at the moment. Wife wasn't too happy with the addition of the drz in the first place. I just don't find myself riding the busa all that much anymore. Plus it scares the crap outta me everytime after I ride the drz.