Sign in to follow this  

Idler gear

i was putting my hub and house in on and it seems like there is a lot of wobble in the idler gear. anybody else have this problem or is it ok. the thrust washer is there and set up exactly as the manual says.

It shouldn't be wobbly. If I remember right, there's a brass bushing pressed into the gear. Does it look worn?

It shouldn't be wobbly. If I remember right, there's a brass bushing pressed into the gear. Does it look worn?

its not wobbly but it has side to side movementi think its ok i was just a little worried.

Talking about the kick start idler gear?

If it's just sliding up and down on the end of the shaft where it sits, it's fine. Once the thrust washer and side cover is on, it won't move.

you know I ran into the same situation about a year ago when I had my bike apart, the idler gear had excessive clearance between the bushing and the counter shaft surface. I measured it and IIRC there was around .009 clearance. Visually the bushing looked fine but just had too much of a loose fit. I replaced the gear because I didnt want to take the chance of it damaging the countershaft surface or worse-breaking any of the gear teeth, the new one fit great. I dont know if there have been any flat out failures or not.

That gear doesnt really do much until your kick starting the bike, but..it is turning the whole time the engine is running.