barkbusters

The last two used bikes I bought came with full wrap around handguards and I don't like them. I know they are helpful in tight trees, but if I'm going through trees that tight where I need guards there are bigger risks than getting my hands crushed.

I can't get used to the feel of the bars: controls feel cluttered and it feels like I'm prison. I'm also concerned of the .001% chance that my hands will get stuck as I go over the bars and snap some bones. I know, its not likely, but it has happened and it sounds painful

Unless you are 100% MX I believe they are absolutely worth it. have tried other bikes that had a std bend (non-droped like Cycra etc) and they felt odd but I can not say enough how much I like the bend on my Cyrcas.

I cant ride a bike without them anymore. The slim to none risk of catching your hand in them is overshadowed by the protection they offer. I crash a lot... :bonk: and I would rather have them than not. In fact the Cycra dropped bend allow you to get yoru hand out in the event of a crash I dont notice them while I ride.

Saved levers

Saved throttle housing...busted mine before I installed the Cycras

No busted hands/fingers from crashes or trees etc.

MX hand guards are about usless except to block wind and roost.

• Like 1

Unless you are 100% MX I believe they are absolutely worth it. have tried other bikes that had a std bend (non-droped like Cycra etc) and they felt odd but I can not say enough how much I like the bend on my Cyrcas.

I cant ride a bike without them anymore. The slim to none risk of catching your hand in them is overshadowed by the protection they offer. I crash a lot... :bonk: and I would rather have them than not. In fact the Cycra dropped bend allow you to get yoru hand out in the event of a crash I dont notice them while I ride.

Saved levers

Saved throttle housing...busted mine before I installed the Cycras

No busted hands/fingers from crashes or trees etc.

MX hand guards are about usless except to block wind and roost.

:bonk:

I feel they are necessary for off-road. Regular old bar mounted ones work well. Triple clamp mounts work well but are costly and a pain to install sometimes.

I have a set of Cycra Pro-Bends, but I only put them on when I am riding mainly single track or racing a harescramble(And they definately have saved my fingers and hands many times!) I do think that they make the cockpit seem strange and I don't like them on the track at all, so they are rarely on my bike.

If you ride mainly trails, I would recommend them.

Every bike I own has them. They are the first thing I put on my bike. I ride lots of trails..very little mx.

They have saved me from dozens of broken levers...I have NEVER broken a lever with them on. Saved me from 100's of busted hands and fingers.

They even work great for when the temp drops..I slap on the plastic shields to go with them and voila! A windbreak!

• Like 1

I've run BarkBusters, and the follow on brands, since the late eighties and have NEVER broken a lever since. Besides trees they also protect your hands when you go down because the bike will slide on the BB instead of the bars snagging into the dirt and turning full lock. I've done quick falls in clay and ice, and after the bike stops I'm still holding onto the bars and the front wheel is pointed straight ahead. Just pick up the bike and ride on. The BBs also tend to slide past trees instead of the bar end sticking to the tree bark; the former results are easier to deal with.

So for me BB are an absolute must have.

One caveat: when you install BB they incease the width of the bars by 3/4-1" on each side. After installing my first set I was puzzled by all of the tree encounters during the next Enduro. So I cut 3/4" off each bar end for the folowing Enduro; problem solved.

I installed Acerbis Rally Pro guards on both our bikes and they seem virtually indestructible. The plastic doesn't bend at all, it seems almost unbreakable. And the thick aluminum bar that runs inside it.... well, I think the handlebars will break before that breaks.

AcerbisRallyPro.jpg

What he said.

On my xr600 I have never broken a lever in 10 years riding that bike with Acerbis Rally Pro guards.

Last spring I bought a XR250 with no Bark busters, 1st ride I broke both levers in the 1st hour, luckily I carry spares. Guess what the 1st thing was that I bought for the 250?

I run the Cycra probends aswell with the stealth shields. We actually do both MX and desert trails (mostly).

I run Flexx Bars with them and love them. They don't hinder at all with the BRP mount.

Before that I ran regular renthals bars and first tried the tripple clamp mount - hated it. It took away even the littlest flex the bars had. That made it one ride. Went to the bar mount and it was better.

But like i said now I run the Flexx Bars w/ the BRP mount and its awesome.

The last two used bikes I bought came with full wrap around handguards and I don't like them. I know they are helpful in tight trees, but if I'm going through trees that tight where I need guards there are bigger risks than getting my hands crushed.

I can't get used to the feel of the bars: controls feel cluttered and it feels like I'm prison. I'm also concerned of the .001% chance that my hands will get stuck as I go over the bars and snap some bones. I know, its not likely, but it has happened and it sounds painful

Yes, there are bigger risks in the woods than smashing your hands-having a branch snag your clutch lever, or even worse, your front brake lever......I've had it happen more than once on bikes that are sans guards.

Cycra Pro-Bends with the solution mount for my ride.

Not only will a set of handguards protect your paws and lever, but perches, master cylinder, throttle tube (tip over, broken throttle tube).

they have saved my hands quite a few times in the woods as well. they also help with anything that might come in the way and hit your hands not just trees. sometimes i dont ride with gloves and they even smack the high weeds and grass that ive rode through out of the way. ive ridden without them and i dont like it lol. so i think they are a must have if you ride in the woods to. :bonk:

kyle