IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Clueless rider needs help here w/ corner exit harshness over stutter bumps...

I have MX-Tech suspension. Seems to work great.

I struggle to feel what suspension is actually doing but I do know that w/ my previous FC suspension my teeth were being rattled out of my skull and since Richard redid my KTM suspenders I instantly jumped up an entire class and now ride much faster on the MX-Tech suspension. I don't get tired nearly as quickly either.

The only complaint I have is driving out of turns when I hit stutter bumps it really seems like the shock just chatters and bounces instead of hooking up and driving.

If that a hi-speed compression issue? It feels fairly squatty in the rear during this phase.

Your help is appreciated!

My only other complaint is that the forks are very controlled diving into rough turns, no problems there. But when I really push the pace into a rough turn, closer to a Pro pace the front end gets all whack and out of control and I think the front tire is actually coming off of the ground even while I'm braking hard. And maybe the front end wants to run a bit wide exiting the turns as well. Do I need to add rebound here?

Sag is set at 110mm w/ me standing up.

Sun, where are you at with your lo-speed compression adjuster on the shock?

Richard I will check that # this evening and post back w/ the info. Thanks.

Here are my current rear shock settings.

Low Speed Compression - 10

Hi Speed Compression - 2 3/16

Rebound - 20

Rear shock has been revalved by MX-Tech and uses a Progressive spring.

Thanks!

Here are my current rear shock settings.

Low Speed Compression - 10

Hi Speed Compression - 2 3/16

Rebound - 20

Rear shock has been revalved by MX-Tech and uses a Progressive spring.

Thanks!

Sun, I know that 10 out on compression seems pretty tight, but I'm thinking that you may want to go in to 8 and see if that helps.

Here's my thought: As you're accellerating, the rear is loading and compressing and the shock is getting too deep into the stroke. Increasing lo-speed compression will help keep it up in the stroke.

HOWEVER -

What doc is getting at can also be true - the shock may actually be packing. Sounds unlikely at 20 clicks out, but check that first. Let me know if these ideas help at all.

Sun, I know that 10 out on compression seems pretty tight, but I'm thinking that you may want to go in to 8 and see if that helps.

Well I experimented w/ a few things but ended up doing exactly what you suggested and it definitely helps although it's no stock modern Yamaha.

Honestly, I've turned knobs until I'm blue in the face and sometimes it feels different but rarely better. I blame my lack of set up skills more than anything.

I will look at the rear end packing however and will attempt to loosen the rebound a bit.

What will be the effect if I deviate from the recommended 110mm of sag one way or the other?

I also wonder if the front end pushing (as it always has) and causing me to slide back on the seat exiting turns and makes the problem worse? Well either way I'm trying out a set of 22mm 3 Trees tonight that hopefully will alleviate the pushing and allow me to stay more forward.

Thanks.

Well I experimented w/ a few things but ended up doing exactly what you suggested and it definitely helps although it's no stock modern Yamaha.

Honestly, I've turned knobs until I'm blue in the face and sometimes it feels different but rarely better. I blame my lack of set up skills more than anything.

I will look at the rear end packing however and will attempt to loosen the rebound a bit.

What will be the effect if I deviate from the recommended 110mm of sag one way or the other?

If you go with less sag (<110mm), it will weight the front more. This could help turning but may also cause decelleration headshake. If you go with more rider sag (>110mm), the bike will be more stable at speed but you'll sacrifice turning ability.

I also wonder if the front end pushing (as it always has) and causing me to slide back on the seat exiting turns and makes the problem worse?

The push could be from several things. Newer KTM's turn pretty good, so this surprises me. But, the push could be from too much shock rider sag, too much shock rebound (shock is packing) or from too little shock compression (riding low in the stroke). Or, from a fork that has too much compression damping. Where are your fork compression clickers set at?

Well either way I'm trying out a set of 22mm 3 Trees tonight that hopefully will alleviate the pushing and allow me to stay more forward.

Thanks.

What is the stock offset on that bike?

What is the stock offset on that bike?

Thanks for the tips!

Well we are definitely getting closer. The stock 3Tree offset on the 2008 KTMs is 20mm. (actually 18/20 adjustable but the 18 setting is useless) The 2010 KTMs run 22mm and apparently all of the fast guys have been running 22s for the last three years or so. I tried 22s for the first time last night.

I ran the 22s and it's an improvement and the front end bites much more allowing me to ride further up and run tighter lines especially in switch backs. This REALLY lessens the stutter bump effect because I'm in the middle of the bike not over the rear tire I guess.

Still working on getting the fork overhang set up as it's very sensative. First it was oversteering then I slid the forks down and now it's running a bit wide exiting turns right now but it's very close.

Will play w/ the fork height a bit more before I start turning knobs again.

I'll say this, all of the responses in this thread have definitely helped me to understand better what turning these knobs will actually do and how I can use them to correct handling deficiences in the future.

Thanks again!

Sounds great! Your findings on the offset are really interesting. This is great information! Keep us informed on the progress.

Well I think we have gotten this bike straighened out now.

The rear shock really began to come around w/ 2 additional clicks of Low speed compression and the addition of the 22mm offset 3T as I could stay farther forward on the seat.

I then began to add in the fork rebound damping to help the front end bite a bit more and not run wide on turn exits but I began to reach the limit of that so I then lessened the shock sag from 110mm to closer to 106mm and BINGO! the front end now goes where I want it to.

I think now running w/ less sag however I might need to back out that shock ls compression 1 click or so as it started to feel quite stiff.

The bike is really working well now I'm happy to say.

Thanks so much for your input!

Have really gotten this bike working much better now and I am charging much faster at this point than I ever have.

Turns out that just tightening everything down and charging really hard all of the time makes the suspension feel quite supple. Let off even a little bit however and it begins to feel very stiff again.

yes i have found the opposite, my previous nice cushy setup was great, until i got a little fitter and starting staying with riders who normally are 5 places ahead, my cushy setup becomes harsh, rides too low, and slows me down.

I think you mean you found the same.

My harshness was because the suspension was too soft, so I tightened it up a lot, as did you to adjust to my new found speed.

yes but i cam from a different angle :banghead: