My New 05 Yamaha Kodiak 450.. Wont idle with Choke Off. *PICS*

Few days ago I purchased a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak 450. It only has 16 miles on it and looks like new. No signs of use, everything is clean. Owner just rode it 2 times and sat in storage for 4 years.

It runs great but the carb seems to be needed some kind of adjustment.

It wont idle with the choke in the "off" position even with the engine fully warmed up. It kind of runs rough at idle. I need to keep the rpms high (with choke 1/4 on) so it wont die on me. Do I just play with the Idle Speed Adjustment at the carb? Or take it to Yamaha? Please let me know!

Yesterday I changed the oil and coolant. Still need to change the oil in the diffs..

Here are some pics!

There is a idle adjustment screw on my grizzly 350. id check to see if you have one. just a screw next to the carb. clockwise turns rpms up on idle

If it sat that long, the carb needs cleaned at least.

Yeah I think the carb needs cleaning too.

I never cleaned a carb before.

Can anyone give me some detailed tips.

I think I will just uncrew the 4 screws in the bottom of the carb. Get some carb cleaner and stray everything I can see and put it together.

Rough idling and requirement of the choke being on usually means a dirty pilot jet. They have very small holes in them.

Rough idling and requirement of the choke being on usually means a dirty pilot jet. They have very small holes in them.

Is the main jet and pilot jet the same thing??

Here is a diagram of the bottom of the carb removed. Where is the pilot jet in this picture??

The pilot jet is below the main jet and above the fuel screw in the picture.

The pilot jet is below the main jet and above the fuel screw in the picture.

Thanks for your help!

I will take the bottom portion of the carb off and spray the main and pilot gets with carb cleaner.

But I think I might dip the carb in some KimDip. Looks like the float is plastic. Is plastic okay to be soaked in KimDip??

just put engine clean in the gas tank. it cleans all parts of carb and removes carbon in engine. also stabalizes fuel if you have water in the gas. (this happens if the gas sits for a while) good luck.

Thanks for your help!

I will take the bottom portion of the carb off and spray the main and pilot gets with carb cleaner.

But I think I might dip the carb in some KimDip. Looks like the float is plastic. Is plastic okay to be soaked in KimDip??

I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't soak the carb. Chemdip will dissolve rubber parts like O rings, gaskets, and diaphragms. Just take the jets out and clean them with carb spray and compressed air. (By the way, don't be too crazy with the carb spray either. I ruined my accelerator pump diaphragm with it. Your problem sounds like a clogged pilot jet. Clean all your jets though, not just the pilot.

It sounds like the dealer never adjusted the fuel screw to get it to idle possibly (aside from a potentially clogged pilot jet). All carbureted powersports vehicles come super lean from the factory to get the thumbs up on emissions. This means that they take forever to warm up, and run poorly at idle. You also have to take the modern fuel into account as the ethanol mixed in creates a leaner fuel. Double whammy. Clean the carb with carb cleaner, pull all the jets and blow compressed air through them. Make sure you can see light coming through them. Back the fuel screw all the way out and make sure the spring, o-ring, and washer are all accounted for. Then blow compressed air through the pilot circuit. You should feel the air coming out the fuel screw orifice. Make sure the tip of the fuel screw is free of carbon, then reinstall it with the washer, o-ring, and spring installed. Turn it all the way in, then back it out 2.5-3 turns.

When I have carbs apart, I always remove the float and needle... as well as the seat. With the seat out you can see if you have hidden rust/dirt/gunk trying to come through. With the seat out, blow compressed air through the brass fuel inlet. This will blow any debris out. Put the seat back in, and the float/needle assembly.

Finally, make sure your air filter is clean and that the idle is set correctly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By beeboob00p
      Bandit 1200s
      Asking Price
      2200 OBO
      Contact Info
      281-731-86 three 9

Howdy Everyone

Today I am looking to sell my 2004 suzuki bandit 1200s for 2200 OBO. I have owned this for over 3 years and it was my daily the whole time. Yes, every day rain or shine. It never let me down and has been the best to me. I love it to death, but now that I have graduated with a big boy job that involves lots of travel. It is time to move on to something newer and more economical. It has loads of mods and general maintance parts to help it have a great life with me and continue on with it's next owner. Current real mileage is around 30k and the title is clear in MY NAME. 

Videos of start up and just it idling]
      It was well maintained. 
      Valve adjustments done early (will include special adjustment tool with sale)
      Holshot Stage 1 jet kit
      Holshot Ignition Advance
      Holshot Slip on
      New chain and sprockets
      New Spark plug
      New airfilter
      Renthal Handle Bar
      Shorty Levers
      Upgraded windscreen (great for long trips)
      Suspension Adjusted and dialed in properly
      Price is flexible 
      Mileage is exempt (the speed sensor was broken when I first got it so it didn't record mileage until recently. Everything is now working properly)
      Has been down before (damage shown in pictures)
      Some other cosmetic issues from being used every day (general chips from rocks and small stuff you can't see in pictures)
      Windshield vibrates due to height 
      Exhaust rattles a bit (will include new muffler mount bushing to fix this) 
      I'm sure I'm missing plenty of stuff but this should be a great start on what this vehicle has to offer. If you have any other questions or would like more pictures, videos, details on anything please let me know. I'll be happy to work with you.
      At this time I am only looking at cash offers for the bike. No payments, sorry. Also I must note that no joyrides either. You bring the cash in full and I will let you test drive. You hold the title, I hold the cash. You drop it no harm done, because you keep the bike and I keep the cash. 
      At the time of sale you and I will sign the title and we will fill out the proper paperwork for the transfer of the vehicle on the spot. Sorry, but I Have been burned in the past. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy what you see.
      The best way to contact me is by phone. I'm not on this forum much, but feel free to text or call away and I would be glad to respond to any questions you might have. Thanks,
      -Frankie 281-731-86 three 9
    • By Rick Mcqueen Art
      A tiny clear rubber tube on bottom of carb.  On bottom sort of on side, by floats, the other end just hanging down.  Was it always like this? Or does the other end go somewhere?  Today after multiple trys with kick, choke on/off ,,,fuel keeps pouring out the tube.  This bike has always been hard to start.   Thanx  guys!
    • By Zack Ailing
      hey guys just picked up a new project bike. Its a 2008 Yz450f with a big bore kit and a stroker crank. The total cc of the engine is now 499. It runs on race gas and will be an absolute monster when shes ready to rip. I will continue to make more videos on the bike so stay tuned Link to the video: 
    • By Colton Kruse
      Hey guys I am new to the forum but tried to search for this subject and didn't find much for a bike this old. I bought the bike recently and have pretty much everything rebuilt but I am having trouble sourcing the proper plastics. First question is will 96 plastics fit this bike? There is plenty of those kits all over the internet. Currently the only thing I can find online that is actually for a 91 time range is white plastics only and can only be bought piece by piece. When they are pieced together like that is it almost 350 bucks for all white plastics which isn't what I want. So if you know of a thread that can show me how to put 96 or newer plastics on or if they bolt up on their own please let me know. Or if you have better ideas for what to do for plastics let me know! Thanks.
    • By ThomasM.
      hotcams shim kit that will fit most 450's.
      I used 3x 1.75mm and 2x 1.7mm shims. the rest is still there
      part# HCSHIM02
      $60 shipped
      will fit:
      2002 - 2017 Honda CRF 450R BIKE,2005 - 2017 Honda CRF 450X BIKE,2003 - 2004 Kawasaki KLX 400 BIKE,2008 - 2009 Kawasaki KLX 450R BIKE,2008 - 2017 Kawasaki KX 450F BIKE,2000 - 2016 Suzuki DRZ 400 BIKE,2005 - 2015 Suzuki DRZ 400S BIKE,2016 - 2017 Suzuki DRZ 400SM BIKE,2005 - 2017 Suzuki RMZ 450 BIKE,2014 - 2017 Yamaha WR 250F BIKE,2003 - 2016 Yamaha WR 450F BIKE,2014 - 2017 Yamaha YZ 250F BIKE,1998 - 1999 Yamaha YZ 400 F BIKE,2000 - 2002 Yamaha YZ 426 F BIKE,2003 - 2017 Yamaha YZ 450F