Sign in to follow this  

How are SSS forks for off road?

Hey guys I'm looking for some input for those who have had both SSS forks and open bath KYB 46's set up for off road.

I know that they work better in general for motocross, but when set up and revalved for offroad do they feel better than your revalved and set up open baths.

I have an 02 YZ 250 and I have access to some SSS forks that I can have revalved and sprung. I just want to know what to expect and if it's worth the cost.

Thanks and I'll take my answer over the air :bonk:

I had enzo subs on my 05 and have re valved my 07.. My 05 stuff was simply not as good.. The SSS once valved for you are excellent..

Ive done a lot of experimenting and ended up with stiffer springs, softer IC springs, very soft valving and an average oil height... Super plush on top, very stable at speed and good bottoming resistance... :bonk: Worth the upgrade!!

Agree with bikedude. I've had my pre-SSS forks working very well, but in blind taste tests (really my friends riding the SSS forks and non-SSS without being told which was which and what was done) the SSS forks always win. Having said that, a well-set up fork is better than the better technologhy set up like a pig, but you knew that. :bonk:

My biggest problem with the 46mm forks was with how they would get harsh on small high speed sharp edge hits. I guess it is their nature to ramp into high speed dampening too quick.

The sss forks do a better job in this area, and they have an advantage in bottoming when you hit a big bump.

I have been backing off the comp on my '06 sss forks to make them more off road freindly. I think I am 3 clicks out from stock, and it feels about right for me and my riding level. I can bottom them out now on the big hits, I supose the next thing to do is raise the oil level a little to curb the bottoming.

Short answer is yes, go for the sss if you can, they are better. They won't turn you into Knighter, but they are a step in the right direction.

I have the SSS on my '06 YZ250 and 46 KYBs on my '00 YZ426. Both are completely stock. Both are also at the stock settings (clickers, oil, spring rate, etc).

The SSS is hands down better. Better on the big stuff, small stuff, fast hits, slow hits, just better all around.

Can't comment on having the forks customized for your style and conditions. But stock out of the box, the SSS are better.

My biggest problem with the 46mm forks was with how they would get harsh on small high speed sharp edge hits.

I don't think I could have said it better myself! :thumbsup:This is exactly what I'm feeling.

I went with NOST valves in the stock forks and the result is fantastic. And the price was very surprisingly reasonable.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=331250

I'm assuming you used these valves on 46mm forks? I didn't see what year your bike is. Can you elaborate in the difference the valves made?

I have the SSS on my '06 YZ250 and 46 KYBs on my '00 YZ426. Both are completely stock. Both are also at the stock settings (clickers, oil, spring rate, etc).

The SSS is hands down better. Better on the big stuff, small stuff, fast hits, slow hits, just better all around.

This really says a lot. I may make plans to throw them next week.:bonk:

Thanks guys for your input.

Edited by Anravqsuh
spelling

They are great, and even better for offroad once you drill the free piston suggested by DaveJ, it really improves them over the small,sharp edges, and add his oils, they are great

I'm assuming you used these valves on 46mm forks? I didn't see what year your bike is. Can you elaborate in the difference the valves made?
Mine's an '03. With the NOST valves, and the mid-valves tuned to work with them, it's a night and day difference. All harshness and excessive rebound is gone. Very plush at lower speeds, "like butter" comes to mind when I'm riding. Front end eats it all up, and we're talking extremely rocky terrain here. The conversion was under $500.