Sign in to follow this  

Which 125 would make the best 144?

I'm thinking about getting rid of my 05 CRF250R and building a 144. Are any 125's better than the other for building a 144?

I would look at an '06 or newer YZ125. Best suspension and engine to start with and it has an aluminum frame. I almost went there with my old '06 YZ125 but decided to just get a 250 2t.

(06+ for suspension) YZ or KTM has one from the factory or at least did at one point recently. However YZ suspension would be far superior.

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't quite sure if one engine responded better to the modifications or not.

According to Eric Gorr, who invented the 144, the 04+ RM125's make the best 144's. The top ends also last longer. I've ridden a few and they rip. Faster than a 250f. The RM suspension is really good and they handle like a mtn bike.

If you look on twostrokemotocross, apparently Yamaha has some kind of factory kit they are selling (fully assembled bikes) through dealers in Australia, that is more than just a bigger bore. I did not read the article closely, but maybe something similar will be avialable here, given the success of the KTM 150. If you can afford the KTM, that is the way I would go. I have an RM 125 and it is a great bike, but it is the same weight and does not handle as well as my 09 KTM 250 SX. I can't imagine how light and flickable the KTM 150 must be!!!

Don't waste your time. Get the KTM 150sx. It will handle as good or better than your YZ, I know because I came off several Yamaha's onto a KTM and I will never go back.

According to Eric Gorr, who invented the 144, the 04+ RM125's make the best 144's. The top ends also last longer. I've ridden a few and they rip. Faster than a 250f. The RM suspension is really good and they handle like a mtn bike.

I spoke with Eric a few years ago about this very topic and he also said the RM (2004+) were the best. He even told me that his personal bike was an RM 144. His answer when I asked him how it ran..."simply awesome". There is a TT member named Ebeck that has/had one of these and you should ask him about the bike.

I spoke with Eric a few years ago about this very topic and he also said the RM (2004+) were the best. He even told me that his personal bike was an RM 144. His answer when I asked him how it ran..."simply awesome". There is a TT member named Ebeck that has/had one of these and you should ask him about the bike.

Yep Ebeck had one, he just sold it a few weeks ago though. I probably rode it more times then he did:smirk:. It was one of the funnest bikes I've ever ridden. Nothing like a stock 125 and it will pull 250fs all day long. Anyone with a brain, an rm125, and 450 bucks should do it.

Thanks for all the info. I guy I used to ride with had an 03 RM125. I rode the bike a few times and I loved how it handled but I really didn't like the powerband. It literally had no bottom end but screamed up top. Bottom end grunt is important and if Eric can build me a RM144 with good bottom end while still being able to pull up top then thats what I might do. I love the way RM's look too.

Thanks for all the info. I guy I used to ride with had an 03 RM125. I rode the bike a few times and I loved how it handled but I really didn't like the powerband. It literally had no bottom end but screamed up top. Bottom end grunt is important and if Eric can build me a RM144 with good bottom end while still being able to pull up top then thats what I might do. I love the way RM's look too.

I had an 03 rm125 too. The motor was redesigned in 04 with a long rod and basically copied the KTM motor. I rode Ebecks 04 when it was stock back to back to my 03 and it had much more bottom. So just look for an 04+ rm125 and have fun!

Thanks for the info 2strokenut. Im gonna put the CRF up for sale soon and hopefully I can find a decent 04 and up RM. Did Suzuki do any drastic changes to the RM125 after 04? What year was the last year for the RM125, 08?

Thanks for the info 2strokenut. Im gonna put the CRF up for sale soon and hopefully I can find a decent 04 and up RM. Did Suzuki do any drastic changes to the RM125 after 04? What year was the last year for the RM125, 08?

The 05+ have the 47mm showa TC forks and 18mm shock shaft and the powervalve timing is better. 06 got a beefier frame and swingarm. 07 BNG and last year I believe. My brother had the 06 and it was a great bike.

Thanks again 2strokenut. Once my CRF is sold I'm gonna search for an RM. I see your from AZ, I lived in Surprise for 6 months. I miss it so much=( I never even had a chance to ride while I lived there cause I was recovering from a torn ACL. I hope to move back eventually.

Thanks again 2strokenut. Once my CRF is sold I'm gonna search for an RM. I see your from AZ, I lived in Surprise for 6 months. I miss it so much=( I never even had a chance to ride while I lived there cause I was recovering from a torn ACL. I hope to move back eventually.

No problem. Phoenix is awesome. There are so many places to ride. 5-6 tracks within a half hour and they just reopend one by surprise that is just awesome. Weather is in the 60s at night and low 80s in the day. Perfect.

Was the the track that was reopened Thrasherland? The only track I know in the Surprise area is Speedworld and that was up off 60 on Jomax Rd.