which oil for transmission

my dad wants me to do an oil change on his 05 crf450x and he gave me pro honda hp4m 4 stroke oil bottles..they are two different types and im nto sure which one goes on which side.

hp4m 10w-40 with moly(silver bottle)

hp4m 10w-40 without moly (gold bottle)

just need to know which one goes on which side

my dad wants me to do an oil change on his 05 crf450x and he gave me pro honda hp4m 4 stroke oil bottles..they are two different types and im nto sure which one goes on which side.

hp4m 10w-40 with moly(silver bottle)

hp4m 10w-40 without moly (gold bottle)

just need to know which one goes on which side

silver bottle for the engine.(left side if sitting on the bike)

gold bottle for the tranny. reason being, moly makes the clutch slip.(right side if sitting on the bike)

Honda Red Bottle is better for the trans IMO.

Honda Red Bottle is better for the trans IMO.

:bonk:

Pro Honda HP Transmission Oil 80w/85w...... Better known as the Honda Red Bottle....:bonk: that is all I have ever used in the tranny side.

Pro Honda HP4S 4-Stroke Motor Oil 10W-30.... for the engine side.

NOt that it really applies to this thgread, but I use the hp4m 10w-40 with moly(silver bottle)

in my XR650L and XR250R without any clutch slippage.

For my CRF450X I used the Honda GN4 10-40 in the motor and the red bottle for the tranny.

I am trying Maxima trans oil in my X. Seems to shift funny compared to my CR500 and my 650R. If no different then I will go back to Honda Red bottle.

For the trans I use Pro Honda HP Transmission Oil 80w/85w.

On the motor side I use the Honda Pro HP4M.

Uppity bitches. :bonk:

Rotella 15w-40 dino, both cases. Change often.

rotella

I was advised to run the Honda gold bottle (with red cap) in both the engine and tranny. Been doing it for 2 yrs with no issues. Any reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

Been running Rotella 5W40 in my engine and just started running the red bottle in the tranny. So far so good!

Red bottle..say`s honda on it.

rotella, both sides

Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in both sides. .75qt in the engine and 1 qt. in the tranny. Shifts nice and smooth!!

bought bike new in 07 use only red bottle have 1500 miles no problems

Maxima 85wt MTL. Great stuff. Honestly it's what my local shop stocks so it's easy to get and works great. I know a guy who runs plain 10W40 Valvoline in both sides and never has any problems.:smirk::ride:

I was advised to run the Honda gold bottle (with red cap) in both the engine and tranny. Been doing it for 2 yrs with no issues. Any reason why I shouldn't be doing this?

any answer on this? :smirk: i just run the same honda 10w-40 on both sides..

its this stuff:

resize?sq=140&uid=1000769239

any answer on this? :smirk: i just run the same honda 10w-40 on both sides..

its this stuff:

resize?sq=140&uid=1000769239

Some of us swear by the Honda red bottle in the tranny side, other than that I don't know. I personally won't run anything else. As long as it doesn't have moly in it I'm sure you're good to go with GN4 on both sides.

Here's another observation I've made when it comes to oil in my bike is that it is VERY easy on the oil. I run my bike really hard and several weeks ago changed the oil after 15 hours of abuse and couldn't believe the condition of it. The tranny fluid was basically exactly the same color as the new stuff in the bottle and the engine oil was just slightly darker. What a far cry from the stuff that used to drain out of my 250 ktm. Granted the KTM used the same oil for engine and tranny but still, after 5 or 6 hours the stuff was black as coal. So I am impressed with this engine and love the fact it has seperate oil reservoirs.