Sign in to follow this  

Switching bikes

How often do you switch bikes. I fell bad because every year I ask my dad if I can trade my bike for a different kind. I have had 4 bikes in the past two years. I'm just trying to get some opinions.

How often do you switch bikes. I fell bad because every year I ask my dad if I can trade my bike for a different kind. I have had 4 bikes in the past two years. I'm just trying to get some opinions.

When you're young and growing you have to change them more often because you grow out of them faster.

But 4 bikes in 2 years sounds excessive... no one grows that fast. One bike every two years sounds reasonable. One bike a year might be reasonable but might be pushing it. One bike every 6 months? I can't see anyone NEEDING to do that. And I'm big on needs vs. wants.

But you shouldn't feel bad... it's your money, right? It should be.

I don't know your ecomonic background, but regardless if you're poor, middle income, of filthy rich...... buying bikes that often may not be the best use of your money, or anyone's money.

And if you're talking about the bank's money (financing).... well, we won't even go there.

When you're young and growing you have to change them more often because you grow out of them faster.

But 4 bikes in 2 years sounds excessive... no one grows that fast. One bike every two years sounds reasonable. One bike a year might be reasonable but might be pushing it. One bike every 6 months? I can't see anyone NEEDING to do that. And I'm big on needs vs. wants.

But you shouldn't feel bad... it's your money, right? It should be.

I don't know your ecomonic background, but regardless if you're poor, middle income, of filthy rich...... buying bikes that often may not be the best use of your money, or anyone's money.

And if you're talking about the bank's money (financing).... well, we won't even go there.

Well I don't exactly buy them, I trade them for other bikes. I went from a kx 85 to a crf250 to a yz250f so 3 bikes I guess. I went from the honda to the yamaha because my honda wasn't taken care of very well by the last owner so it had some problems. So really all I bought was my 85 for a grand and just sold a bike then bought another one with a $300 difference.

it depends on if you race nationally, locally or just ride

I am personally a national racer and keep a practice bike until they make major updates and get a new race bike each year

but if you are just a casual rider i know some people that have had the same bike for 5 years

it depends on if you race nationally, locally or just ride

I am personally a national racer and keep a practice bike until they make major updates and get a new race bike each year

but if you are just a casual rider i know some people that have had the same bike for 5 years

I race every weekend, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

I race every weekend, so I'm not sure if that means anything.

I used to get new bikes every year when the economy was up but now I am riding an 06 YZ450F that just seized the bottom end.

One good thing about owning a bike for a long time is you know how the bike works and can really fine tune your set up. My 450 is set up so good right now that it's rediculous, I wish it was set up like this last year.

I've had my 125sx for about 2 years. I have it set up perfectly but the bearings are starting to go. Time for a winter rebuild.

I have had my KX250F since June 2008 and I get it rebuilt every 6 months or so and it runs perfect. I am going to get a 450 soon so I think that 1 and a half years is a good amount of time to have one bike for with a couple of rebuilds even if you race every weekend. I race at least 3 weekends each month and my bike is in perfect shape at every race. :bonk:

I have had my KX250F since June 2008 and I get it rebuilt every 6 months or so and it runs perfect. I am going to get a 450 soon so I think that 1 and a half years is a good amount of time to have one bike for with a couple of rebuilds even if you race every weekend. I race at least 3 weekends each month and my bike is in perfect shape at every race. :bonk:

Amen. About a year and a half is good for a bike. But it depends on how hard you ride when you do ride, how much stress is on the motor, etc, there are a million variables. Anyway my first bike lasted two years with no rebuilds, but that wasnt serious riding. My current bike has lasted since 07 with a rebuild every 6 - 8 months, and with routine maintinence.

If you are growing though, it is a different story. When I was growing, I had a bike a year but now that I can fit on pretty much any bike, 1 and a half or two years is good with rebuilds.

I was on my first bike (2002 YZ125) for 6 seasons (2002-2007..and a little bit of 2008). My mom got that bike for me, but I paid for mods, maintenance, etc. Its now a pretty fast 134. After that, I started buying my own. I bought a 2008 YZ250F to race when they came out, and kept my 125 to ride once in a while. Im currently fixing it up to sell. Now I try to keep a bike for 1-2 years, depending on updates and things like that. I sold my 250F over the summer and bought a 250SX a little over a month ago.

It's all good. When you get older you'll probably go thru cars the same way or worse! I'm 43 years old and have owned around 100 different cars! At one point I owed 7 at once.

It's really about what you're into. If you are into bikes you will likely own

many many bikes in your lifetime - if you're doin' it right! :bonk: :bonk:

.... and have owned around 100 different cars!

Wow! I don't think I've owned 100 of anything in my lifetime. Hmmm... maybe socks :bonk:

C'mon..... we want a list... even if it's only a partial list!