Injury Survey

Ok I guess it’s my turn, May 22, 2001, I tried to jump a triple that was about 80 feet long, came up short and bottomed the bike very hard. I hit so hard that my right ankle disintegrated! Went to the ER with help from my co-worker that rides with me. They knocked me out and drilled 2 holes in my leg, one under my knee and one in my heel. They put this tool on me to stretch out my ankle (Rt. foot was 3 inches shorter) so the bones would not fuse together. I stayed in the hospital for a week to allow the swelling to go down so the surgeon could see to operate. They had to go and barrow some ankle parts from a dead guy to screw in place. After the surgery, I had 4 rods sticking out of my right leg with an external fixture and a mechanical lock to keep it in the right position. I had a tool to unlock my ankle 2x a day to move it for therapy. Since then the bones have healed but I have no cartilage, so it’s very painful when I walk. I plan on fussing the ankle with a year or two. I could not walk on my right foot for 4 months. By the way I still ride and just last Christmas my wife ? bought me a brand new 03 CRF 450.

Buffdr :D

*****Never hurt seriously on a dirt bike. Street is a different story. I was 19 years old. Broke 4 ribs, scaplua, both knees, one arm. Broken on the most evil streetbike of all time. The Yamaha XS 1100. The frame was weak. This was after "rider " magazine had a wonderful "How to" article on making the bike handle. Joe Minton will burn in hell for that one. Paint would flake off from the frame flexing. The bike threw me 75 feet. I was just riding along....I was wearing a Simpson 62 helmet. The helmet was ground down way into the foam on the right side. I was naked at the time. For the sake of arguement, lets pretend alcohol was involved. I was wearing the helmet only to conseal my identity.

Honestly, I earned this wreck. I was cowboying the sh*t out of the bike. You had to time the power pulses just right to allow for the flexing. I misjudged it....

I did blow a nut trying to lift my DR 350, clothed. ?

""""Parents, if your kids read this post, please tell them that I am not a role model. I stopped drinking. I share this with few people. I consider you folks my friends or I would have kept quiet.

5 Jan 2003 - Stupid mistake on very easy step up. Went off track, pile drove bike into parking lot. Bike fine. Rider.....notso fine....2 broken ribs, 3rd degree seperated left shoulder, torn cartilage in right ribcage, partially collapsed lung. Must have been knocked out, because I can't remember the landing and after I did my mental "can I move this part" check, I recall two guys standing over me. Both of them afraid to touch me. I partially stood up when I realized I couldn't breathe. Buddy drove me to hospital. Had to remain stoic for my 5 year old son...who didn't see the crash, but sure did tell mom about the hospital visit. Wearing AXO helmet from 96....(since replaced with fox propilot)...ACERBIS chest protector....(didn't do too much protecting).....Tech 6's...(no leg problem whatsoever). All is fine now except for the egg on my left shoulder and the indentation in my chest.....Oh yeah....coughing or sneezing still reminds my of the crash in that special broken rib kind of way.

In '97 I faced a triple on my '96 KX250 and wobbled off the track ( I was tring to pass 1st place by taking the inside line to a triple you could bearly make on the outside line... stupid move) I thought I had just jammed my wrist cause it didn't hurt to bad I managed to finish 2 more laps and get third. After I pulled into the pits my arm start to swell up about 3" from my wrist and it started to hurt worse. I decided to call it a night an went home. It was broke. 6 weeks in a cast no surgury or anything.

June of '02 with my new 450 I tossed away the bike over a really simple double. I got a little squirly on the face and my feet came off the peggs. I landed into the face and broke my left ankle in 3 places. Had to get 2 screws in it to align the pieces back. Doc did a good job cause I have full mobility and strenght and a cool "battle wound" to boot.

Jan of '03 I faced a double during the practice at an arena cross and shoved the clutch lever into my left armpit. Took 7 stitches to close the 3" stabb wound. I even went back to race the main event and placed 1st in my class. It really pissed some people off that I had just come from the ER and still had the armband on. ?:D :D good times.

A year ago,tried to kick the bike away in the air, it looped really bad, too much gas I guess :D

my foot got stuck between the peg and back brake.

Not wearing boots,only construction boots.It was a good thin that they were High Tops.

We both landed in the same place and the bike took off by itself and hit a tree still running,,

if I had tennis shoes on, it would've ripped my foot completely off.

Broke it sideways,,180 degrees around, upside down.

Alittle over a year later,and some screws and a plate,

it still hurts/aches,,all day,everyday. ?

The next day??

A recall on the YZ125 throttle cable pully :D

My shoulder's a different story :D

:D

• 3 years later...

Overall, I've broken 13 bones in my body due to this sport that I can't get out of my system...I guess you'd say I'm addicted like most others in here. My most recent injury was last year, which was probably my worst...4th gear through a whoop section and totally lost it. I was carrying enough speed to break my scapula (shoulder blade) completely in half. The tip of it had 3 separate chips as well.

I was not wearing my chest protector which has fairly substantial padding in the shoulder area. Probably would have still injured myself with it but most likely not as bad.

Took me almost a year to fully recover from that...of course, I couldn't wait to get back on the track! We must be crazy!

Warwound.jpg

A slice on the side of my leg from the footpeg, no rip in the pant but for some reason made it through the skin, fat, and tore part fo the muscle. No protective gear other than steeltoed workboots. I have now learned my lesson as this injury has lost me a month of riding time.

ohh and doing downhill/freeride mountainbiking i have:

broken both wrists

torn acl and mcl in right knee

lost most skin on both shins and forearms

many concussions

and a blown left nut

ive honestly had better luck with the eight stitches in my leg so far from dirtbiking. I seem to have a little more common sense on the 450cc beast

Anyone have any safe stories, like a person named Jim here in New England, who has been riding & racing for 27 years, won 18 NESC MX championships, stills races at age 46 & only major injury was a broken arm to date....

Knock on wood, I qualify. Started racing in the late 60s and still at it. Total damage so far is 2 broken ribs about 20 years ago (a nice 7/8" diameter dent in my chest from the other guy's handlebar) and a torn rotator cuff 2 years ago.

I probably wouldn't have busted the ribs if there had been chest protectors back then. Only the Jofa pads, which I didn't wear.

riding honda shadow 600 working as a motorcycle courier in LA CA lived in san fernando valley at the time

65 year male illegally did a left turn into on coming traffic 20 minutes before dusk.

result me now being a left leg amputee above the knee

wearing all saftey gear would have walked away from it 9only wrecking my bike)but he pinned my leg agaisnt the bike and it ripped off at knee joint(ouch)

al good now happened when i was 20 years old i am now 35 still riding 06 DRZ SM 400 got a good life wife and three kids alls good.

Broke left wrist twice.

Broke tailbone

Broke several fingers

Tore right ACL in knee

I was always wearing safety gear, everytime I fell. It seems that everytime I get a new bike...I get put into the hospital by it within the first 6 months of buying it.

5 weeks ago, trail riding I was tapped out in 4th on my crf450, got cross rutted and flicked off line and hit a good sized rock which was stuck in the ground, it didn't move... completed a full foward flip still attached to the bike then the front dug in and flicked me over the bars, flew 15m + and landed right on my back then bounced and landed on another rock with my ass. Broke 4 ribs puntchered my lung and broke 7 spinal processes and a bone in my foot + a massive bruise on my ass. Got a chopper ride to the hospital. Won't be back on the horse for a while yet. I was wearing full gears with an EVS pressure suit on, I think that saved my back big time, allthough looking at x-rays it seems that my ribs broke along the same line as the back protector, might swap it for a different one so i don't hit the same place twice. I feel lucky.

After being in hospital you realize theres always someone worse off than you,

I was in there with amputees and all sorts, road bike = nasty crash.

I ate it last weekend. Front wheel washed out in a right hander (2nd gear on the gas) and spit me into the ground. My right shoulder was the first thing to contact the ground. I quickly performed an on track collar bone exam. I didn't find anything obvious but moderate pain. I rode back to our pit thinking how bad it would hurt tomorrow. It's been a week and it doesn't hurt as bad, but my collar bone joint in my neck area feels like it's different than the other side. Maybe it's just my hypocondria kicking in. :bonk: It bothers me when my arm hangs at my side and is a little uncomfortable when I sleep. Getting old is a bitch. The ground seems to get harder the older I get! :naughty:

yeah thats the first thing that hit when i crashed and i dislocated my shoulder, fractiored my humorous, and broked my rotator cup sp now i have to go get some screws put im my arm. Did you go to your doctor?

Tried riding my 450X offroad bike like a 450R ......Cross rutted he face of a jump, chopped the throttle in a panic, threw the bike into a bad endo-whip I couldn't recover from. Landed square on my left shoulder and broke my clavicle into 5 pieces.

Full MX gear, HJC Helmet, Thor chest protector and boots. I was NOT wearing neck protection.

I now wear neck protection...it's not a Leatt brace, but it's better than nothing. I wont ride without it again. I also changed to a 450R.