'02 WR Maintenance. Am I missing something here?

Hi there!

I've had my 02 WR250 since I purchased her new in 2004. She has not been used much since 2006 (three rides. sad I know). I have always maintained her well, new oil every ride, filters ever other ride. Linkage greasing once or twice a year, valve check every year. I do not have a hour meter, but my guess is 100 or less. I do not think I have more then 1000 miles of pretty tight Michigan trails. I do clutch in the tight stuff a lot therefore lots of oil changingl.

Yea that was long, but on to my question:

The clutch was replaced 75 miles ago and works great. I have always had a few tiny tiny tiny pieces of metal in the filter and still do. Should I be worried about anything with the bike? The valves have never moved out of spec and starts in three kicks every time. Maintenance wise, am I missing something here, or should I just continue to enjoy my WR? Also, I'm very much a lugger, not a revver.

Thanks!:bonk:

The missing part of the puzzle is the cam chain. Replace the cam chain. When these bikes wear the cam chain, it tends to do two things. First it will flex side to side and rub on the case. You will get pieces of aluminum in the oil and it will show up in the filter. No biggie. The other side of this is a worn timing chain will wear out the small gear on the crank shaft. That is a major. Remove the flywheel and cam chain. Clean the magnets on the flywheel. Inspect the small gear and look to see if the teeth and pointed and sharp tipped. If so, its time for a new crank. When you remove the chain, you will also need to look at the teeth on the cams. The teeth should look similar in shape on all 3 sprockets. A double check on the chain is hold up, and drop it on a rag. Then pick it back up. If it stays kinked up, its done. If it is worn, AND you continue to run it, you risk the chain jumping time and taking out the valves or worse. Been there, done that, to tune of $$$.

+1

Perfectly said!

The missing part of the puzzle is the cam chain. Replace the cam chain. When these bikes wear the cam chain, it tends to do two things. First it will flex side to side and rub on the case. You will get pieces of aluminum in the oil and it will show up in the filter. No biggie. The other side of this is a worn timing chain will wear out the small gear on the crank shaft. That is a major. Remove the flywheel and cam chain. Clean the magnets on the flywheel. Inspect the small gear and look to see if the teeth and pointed and sharp tipped. If so, its time for a new crank. When you remove the chain, you will also need to look at the teeth on the cams. The teeth should look similar in shape on all 3 sprockets. A double check on the chain is hold up, and drop it on a rag. Then pick it back up. If it stays kinked up, its done. If it is worn, AND you continue to run it, you risk the chain jumping time and taking out the valves or worse. Been there, done that, to tune of $$$.