Sign in to follow this  

Bad Luck? Just a Bit?

I swear the past month has been my most unfortunate month possible. Notice the KTM in my picture? Well, it's a 300, and it's sick. I was the first one out of my friends to get a big bike, and yet I'm the only one who still doesn't have it. It's gone in this order:

1: I tell everyone about my awesome KTM I should be getting soon

2:friend Mike Hayes gets an '04 yz 125

3: friend Christian gets an '04 kx 125

4: friend Billy (who didn't even want a dirt bike until Wednesday!!!) finds a '97 KTM 300 for 1200 bucks, gets it, rides it once, has to act like he's a ****in pro now...ass..."dude powerband rippin wheelies blah blah"

5: me: still no KTM...

SO what happened? OK. I needed a rod bearing. Took the crank assembly to the shop, and they decided a top end was in order too. 2 weeks later, the rod kit and top end come in. The shop was supposed to put the crank together for me. They didn't. Screwed over. Had to wait for the dude with the bike to take it to his bud's shop. His bud went on vacation the day before he went up to drop off the crank. Week later, he dropped off the crank. He just got it back two days ago, and said he'd have the bike together for me by Saturday at the latest, but DAMN. EVERYTHING that could have possibly gone wrong has. Let's just hope the decent weather holds up for a month or two, because when I get the bike I gotta break in the engine before I can ride it anyways...

At least then I can get Billy to shut the hell up about his bike, because every minute of every day he's tellin me shit that I told him about bikes acting like he's Mr. Pro-Intensity Man...

Bud, I've been there with similar bike stories (bike breaks jut before a planned 4 day trip to Moab-parts don't show on time,etc)...but your story isn't THAT bad. Hate to break it to you but in the grand scheme of things, you have no idea what real "bad luck" is.

Hope you get your bike running soon.:bonk:

i guess you should have learned how to fix your own stuff.:bonk:

I don't have a press, or a garage with tools for that matter ._. It's not as much that I can't figure out how to do it, it's the limitations of living in an apartment that kinda hinder my ability to work on my own bike.

Bud, I've been there with similar bike stories (bike breaks jut before a planned 4 day trip to Moab-parts don't show on time,etc)...but your story isn't THAT bad. Hate to break it to you but in the grand scheme of things, you have no idea what real "bad luck" is.

Hope you get your bike running soon.:bonk:

Lol. In the grand scheme of things I'm lucky to have such a great bike fall into my lap! But as far as getting the bike together and running in time for me to have any seat time before winter, just about every possible thing that could go wrong, has done just that. I'll have it in two days though, and the wait will have been well worth it. :bonk:

.... it's the limitations of living in an apartment that kinda hinder my ability to work on my own bike....

Limitations only exist in your mind.

When we were first married we lived in an apartment for 4 years. But that didn't stop us from making all our own furniture. We used to bring the wood down 4 flights of stairs, cut it out on the sidewalk, bring it back up for gluing in our bedroom. We sanded everything in the bathroom, and just used the shower to wash the dust away. We had a small cast-iron Delta drill press, which felt like it weighed 200 lbs carrying it up and down the stairs a half dozen times each day. We couldn't leave anything down at the sidewalk for fear of theft so we had to bring it back up to the 4th floor all the time.

At one point an old man saw us, felt sorry for us, and let us use his parking spot in the garage once in a while. This really helped when it was snowing half the year.

It took us 10 times as long to build anything, but we did it. 20 years later I have a large garage with a ton of tools, but I still can't seem to make as much furniture now than we did back in that apartment with just a few tools.

We parked our car on the street, and fixed everything, brakes, clutch, transmission, struts, mullfer, outside on the street and sidewalk. We'd lock the wheels in the trunk when we left, but didn't worry about anyone stealing brakepads or rotors or clutch plates. If I ran out of time, we'd leave the car up on jacks in the street. I'm sure people thought that someone stole the wheels and left the car on blocks. :bonk: Again, sometimes people offered us indoor parking spots when the weather was bad, or the job took more than few days.

No such thing as limitations. If you need to, you will always find a way.

• Like 1

^^^ I'd still need a press!!! xDDD and that's awesome though :bonk: My dad made our dining room table, tv stand, and a bunch of other furniture probably more than 15 years ago and it still looks better than any other furniture we have :bonk:

And usually I do the bike work myself over at my friend's house, since that's where I keep it anyways (in his garage)