Will I have any problems transfering my CA plate in WA?

I think you will be OK. One of the ways of plating a dirt bike in to bring it in from another state.

OK. Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I heard that Washington stopped alowing DS conversions years ago.

You know, if you can still bring in plated dirt bikes from other states and pull a WA. street plate I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to plate my wife's 230 and one of my 250Xs using my brother-in-law's address in Arizona before I move up next summer...

Has anybody on this forum done it lately?

I'd really like to hear from someone who has pulled a plate lately. If I can't bring in my 650 I'm better off selling it down here before I move since it's going to be useless to me if it only gets a OHV sticker in Washington.

Obviously my next step is to make a call to the DMV in Washington and get the story from them, but before I call I want to make sure I'm educated on the topic enough to ask the right questions and frame it in the correct context.

I'm also bringing in a 1986 TLR200 Reflex but it had a plate when it was sold off the dealer floor so I assume that shouldn't be a problem.

OK. Thanks for the reply, Chuck. I heard that Washington stopped alowing DS conversions years ago.

You know, if you can still bring in plated dirt bikes from other states and pull a WA. street plate I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to plate my wife's 230 and one of my 250Xs using my brother-in-law's address in Arizona before I move up next summer...

Good idea but you need insurance to plate a bike in AZ.

When WA issues a title for a new bike using the MSO it will brand the title "not for highway use" if that was on the MSO. When you register a bike that was titled in another state it will not have such a brand on the title and the local DMV will issue plates if asked. The only documentation we have seen on TT for revocation of a plate on a dirt bike was the result of a LEO, or a neughbor, filing a complaint with DMV.

If you think you will ever want to plate a bike in WA do not buy an OHV tag because to do so will brand the title as OHV, which will block future plate requests.

When WA issues a title for a new bike using the MSO it will brand the title "not for highway use" if that was on the MSO. When you register a bike that was titled in another state it will not have such a brand on the title and the local DMV will issue plates if asked. The only documentation we have seen on TT for revocation of a plate on a dirt bike was the result of a LEO, or a neughbor, filing a complaint with DMV.

If you think you will ever want to plate a bike in WA do not buy an OHV tag because to do so will brand the title as OHV, which will block future plate requests.

so true! plated crf450 recently, and last week a wr250. both had converted oregon titles. should be fine coming from calif, if it has a plate number.

Yes - you are undecided about having a plate -get the plate the first year. Then go back with title in hand and get "dual registration" by adding an ORV sticker. If you don't want the plate in future years just don't pay the fee and let the plate go into inactive status. Then you have the option in the future of either licensing option.

Remember the Key is to "add" an ORV sticker using "Dual Registration" -most DOL clerks will have to look it up in the DOL manual to do the transaction. Be nice and patient when they give the the first response that it can't be done. Ask them to pull out the manual and look up "dual registration". Don't let them change the USE class from "G" "Cycle" to "ORV" "Cycle" on your Title!!!!!!

If you don't get the answer you want at the first licensing agent, just politely say "no thanks" take your paper work and go down the road to the next one...

It really depends on what your CA title looks like... if it says "for off road use" on it anywhere, you will have a tough time.

Does the title indicate "xr650r" in the model? The WA DOL software lists bike by model and group (i.e., scooter, dirt, street, etc...). I have had to actually change the "model" designation on one bike despite the fact the title was not branded "ORV". Another bike I was simply asked - "Does this bike already have an OR plate on it?" to which my response was "Yes, of course, it's a street legal bike" In both cases I got the plate but the TTR125 took a few trips to different DOL's.

Good luck:ride:

By the way - Both bikes have equipment added making them legal per the RCW's governing such things... just wanted to add that disclaimer. LOL

My first strike at gold was a CA Red Sticker '03 KX250. Title had the bad words on it. Still got a plate. :bonk:

I then repeated the same steps on multiple other bikes but do know that they have big wood for denying XR650Rs no matter how you do it. :bonk:

It's likely you get on by with having the out of state registration as such. However, at any time some asshat LEO or other jealous freak could call in your plate number and then you get a evil letter from the friendly staff at DOL. :bonk:

PS, carrying a plate in a camelbak while riding FS roads eliminates the chance of someone seeing the plate and calling it in. It violates the law but at least some lurker asshat won't call your plate in and whine that it be revoked.

Has anybody on this forum done it lately?

Yes, KTM 300, bought used, and out of Arizona. :bonk: I have a WA plate.

im not sure if this is truw-but from reliable informants(sheriff and DOT) you cant bring in bikes that have been converted, or even convert a bike.per WA state dot rules, it has to come from the manufactureing plant stating that its a dual sport.our neighbor had this problem,he was looking at getting a xr 650 from oregon.it was plated in oregon, but he found out he could not plate it here in WA because of this stupid rule.

im not sure if this is truw-but from reliable informants(sheriff and DOT) you cant bring in bikes that have been converted, or even convert a bike.per WA state dot rules, it has to come from the manufactureing plant stating that its a dual sport.our neighbor had this problem,he was looking at getting a xr 650 from oregon.it was plated in oregon, but he found out he could not plate it here in WA because of this stupid rule.

It all boils down to emission compliance. If they dont have the emission sticker (and a dirt bike wont) then it cant be made road legal, regardless if you have all the proper equipment. I think this started around the 2006 model year. Now if we could find a place to make counterfeit emission labels...:bonk:

I'm pretty much more confused and wondering if I should just sell my 650R before I move, not worry about plating the 230 or 250X and just buy a 650L for dual sport use when I get up there.

If you are truly dual sporting than you might be better off benefiting from the resale value of your bike down there and getting an "L" when you get up here.... most of us with plated dirtbikes up here are only trying to make larger loops in the mountains without getting tickets so it really depends on your intentions.

If your title does not "for off road use only" on it or does not use the mdel "XR650R" on the title I can guarantee you will get a plate and in all likelihood should be able to keep it forever.

If you are truly dual sporting than you might be better off benefiting from the resale value of your bike down there and getting an "L" when you get up here.... most of us with plated dirtbikes up here are only trying to make larger loops in the mountains without getting tickets so it really depends on your intentions.

If your title does not "for off road use only" on it or does not use the mdel "XR650R" on the title I can guarantee you will get a plate and in all likelihood should be able to keep it forever.

Yeah I could sell my 650R down here and use the money to get a used 650L a well as have a little left over to go towards a Honda Transalp.

The 650R is good for dual sporting in the desert but up there I imagine I will go to two extremes with riding, either ultra tight technical riding or more adventure style riding. The 650R is too in the middle for either extreme.

Yeah I could sell my 650R down here and use the money to get a used 650L a well as have a little left over to go towards a Honda Transalp.

The 650R is good for dual sporting in the desert but up there I imagine I will go to two extremes with riding, either ultra tight technical riding or more adventure style riding. The 650R is too in the middle for either extreme.

You'll learn that a 650L is also a major compromise on tight wooded trails here too. Even a 450X or WR450 is pushing the limit on narrow mountain trails unless you're Don.