Sign in to follow this  

Trail bike

If you could pick 1 bike for trail riding which would it be 250cc and under.I'm planning on getting something different this spring(currently crf150f)and need some input,was thinking on getting the crf230.Let me hear your thoughts.I'm 5'9" 180lbs,just started riding this fall and only need a trail bike.Not interested in motocrossing but if a mx bike is good on trails it will be considered.

I'd say you're on the right track with the CRF230F. If you don't mind the added maintenance, the CRF250X would be nice. Me, I like the old school, air cooled, bullet proof bikes for trail riding. If you could find a used but very good XR250, you might want to think about buying it.

I feel the same,lower maintenance the better.I really like the 150 and thought about modding it to get more power but I would have to spend alot of money and still not get the hp and torq of the 230.the 250x is interesting but I don't want to be spending hundreds every year on rebuilds.What are these bikes like if they aren't abused,just basically trails,woods and some hill climbing.I don't think I have even hit the rev limiter on the 150 yet.The 230 was my first thought as it it close to the 150 in height and weight.Around here it seems the mx bikes are a bit cheaper to buy(used),how would a yzf hold up on these conditions?I can get a yzf250 or a yzf426 for a decent price.seems the hondas are more pricey.

Get a YZ250 (no not the 250f). It is one of the best bikes on the trails and can do everything else too. It may be a bit much right now, but you will get used to it and learn to love it. I have a 426 which is also a great bike on the trails but it is much heavier probably 30+ pounds heavier so with your weight that may be a bit too much. You can get yz250s fairly cheap and they are cheap to mantain. 02-2010 are the best but the older ones are great too.

If you could pick 1 bike for trail riding which would it be 250cc and under.I'm planning on getting something different this spring(currently crf150f)and need some input,was thinking on getting the crf230.Let me hear your thoughts.I'm 5'9" 180lbs,just started riding this fall and only need a trail bike.Not interested in motocrossing but if a mx bike is good on trails it will be considered.

Just a tad larger than the 250cc, I say go with the Kawa Klx300R. 6speed, liquid cooled, light weight and relatively inexpensive. It even has a lower seat height than the 250x/wr250 and the like.

the kawasaki seems nice but I haven't seen any of them for sale here,will keep an eye out for 1.As for the yz250 I don't want 2 stroke,or the all of a sudden power boost it has.The trails I like to ride are mostly done in first and second gear through wooded areas with 2x6 boards down to get over the ditches and mud.Bridges and trees that you can just fit the bars through.Walking trails with steps and pole lines that are muddy.I guess what I really need is that low end torq,but need to be able to get the front wheel up to clear logs and tree roots.

There are quite a few good dirt bikes on the market but at your level I think tractable power is good so you can focus on developing your riding skills, and that leads to the XRs. The XR250s are good bikes (I've owned a couple) but they are a little heavy for the kind of riding I like to do so during the past twenty five years there has always been at least one XR200 based bike in my stable. Of those the 86-91 are my favorite because they have the longest suspension travel of the later series.

My only choice for a water cooled bike would be the later Yamaha WR250F because of their reliability and e-start, the other water cooled trailbikes are scarce and/or not reliable.

A XR200 will not have much more power than your 150 but it will have a lot more torque on the bottom which is where you need it for trail riding, and not the weight and heft of the CRF200.

Moved??Its in the same place as when I posted it,whats the deal?

CRF230's are OK trail bikes despite thier substantial weight. An older XR200R will do the same thing albeit without the electric start. If you can handle a little more power and a couple inches higher seat height, I'd recommend a 1996 - 2004 XR250R which has much better brakes and suspension than either the XR200 or the CRF230 and weighs the same as the 230.

Dave

I don`t think you would be disappointed with a CRF230. By all reports it is a good bike for trail riding. It seems to be simple to maintain and easy to ride. The other bike for your consideration may be the new WR250 but the R model rather than the F model. I don`t know if you get TBM magazine where you are but there is a feature in this months issue on the WR250R and they rate it very highly. Maybe worth a look.