Sign in to follow this  

differnce between o ring and non o chains?

When i bought my bike, it came with a o-ring chain, for some reason i dont like it. When i roll the rear tire, it doesnt roll freely like my other bikes with non o ring chains. And i still keep it lubed and clean and my axel greased. But for you guys that ride track most of the time, can you tell and feel the difference between the two on track? I ride track most of the time. Does the o-ring chain make it harder on the engine at all? Thanks

I run o-ring chain for cross country usually in summer run standard chain when MX-ing. O-ring chain holds up so much longer but I hate how stiff they are. I doubt there is any measurable difference in power

X and T ring chains have much less friction than O ring chains so maybe that is what you need to use. The advantage of ringed chains is long life.

I put a X-ring chain on my YZ426 two years ago, and I've had to adjust it only twice since installing it. I just got a new KTM back in July that came with a non-oring chain, and three months later the adjusters were all the way back from it stretching so much.

I don't care it they're a little stiffer; they last much longer. Less time wrenching = more time riding.

There is more drag in an o-ring chain than a non o-ring chain, but not enough to feel when riding. O-ring chains tend to hold up better in muddy or sandy locations (though you still need to lube them), but in dry dusty locations there isn't much of a difference in life between an o-ring or non o-ring chain.

There is more drag in an o-ring chain than a non o-ring chain, but not enough to feel when riding. O-ring chains tend to hold up better in muddy or sandy locations (though you still need to lube them), but in dry dusty locations there isn't much of a difference in life between an o-ring or non o-ring chain.

Do you race with O-ring chains? The only reason I don't is because nobody else does. They hold up way better for sure; I think I've gone through 4 chain/sprocket sets this season with DID and Renthal Gold race chains.

O ring chains add a little drag, but the money you save can be made up in something that really does make a measurable performance difference for racing--TIRES!!! My last o-ring chain lasted 2 seasons of HS racing, plus lots of trail riding, and it still looked perfect when I sold the bike!

Do you race with O-ring chains? The only reason I don't is because nobody else does. They hold up way better for sure; I think I've gone through 4 chain/sprocket sets this season with DID and Renthal Gold race chains.

Yeah, I have raced with o-ring chains on all of my bikes for years.

another thing to consider, when the o-ring chain warms up it becomes less stiff, and the grease locked in by the o-ring becomes more fluid resulting in less friction. if you pulled off the track after running the o-ring chain you would notice that there is less drag than when you started.

I should convince myself to run an o-ring chain for next year. I'm sure I've spent over $500 on chains and sprockets this summer.