CR500AF questions

I have a chance to buy a CR500AF built by animalpower. Legit company, but haven't read much about them. Its a 02 CR125 frame with a 98 500 motor, very good condition for $3800. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

A lot of money to spend for an old bike, why not get a newer used 450 for that kind of money that has just as much power but a lot easier to ride in more terrain types? a 500 two stroke is a lot of wheel spin, vibration and excessive unusable power..

A lot of money to spend for an old bike, why not get a newer used 450 for that kind of money that has just as much power but a lot easier to ride in more terrain types? a 500 two stroke is a lot of wheel spin, vibration and excessive unusable power..

thats wear your rong the cr 500 has pleanty of yousable power just got to no how to yous it as for the 450s the parts are expesive and theyr not reliable in my opinion as for vibration i dont notice it

im not sure the 125 chassis is capable of handling all that power. hence why service honda dont use them.

mine is on an 03 CR125 chassis and it is smokin. btw, service honda built 20 "limited edition" bikes on the CR125 frame back in 03 or 04.

Never heard of them but the price isn't bad. Any pics of the bike?

I would want to see some photos of the welding and fabrication work. if it is well done the price is right.

here is mine though most won't look this good.

frames20003.jpg

TTMcr5001stday6-30-09020.jpg

TTMcr5001stday6-30-09025.jpg

TTMcr5001stday6-30-09019.jpg

Sorry, but that's just very funny.

Some people actually like dirt bikes not 2 wheeled tractors...... :bonk:

Edited by WFO247365

I would want to see some photos of the welding and fabrication work. if it is well done the price is right.

here is mine though most won't look this good.

Most won't take over a year to get back either. You're one of the lucky ones and Mike actually finished that frame. You've got an incredible bike though, that's for sure. :bonk:

I also have a TTM frame my frame is a CRF450X frame. I looked at most AF frames but TTM makes one of the best frames I could find. If you dont mind wating for the TTM frame it is worth it Billet Y frame and engine mounts great welding and he heat treas the frame after doing the welding most others just cut up the old Y section use the old mounts add some new tubing and send it back to you. I rather wait and get a great frame back than a semi ok frame for all that money you just put out.

I had a fully tricked 2006 KTM 560 out ported carb mods supension ect it would out run a CRF450 anyday but it just not a 2 stroke. I sold iit to build my CR500 TTM I can say the CR500 is a much funner bike to ride hands down. I can say couple things I do miss about the KTM is the E-Button and the compression braking, plus the stupid topend speed kick that big 560 into 6th gear hold it wide open your moving a buck 20 easy and not mixing gas but once agian race gas and 927 has a great smell to it and when you fire up that CR500AF It turns heads thats for sure big bore 2 strokes have that very deep sound of raw your not missing around power.

Most won't take over a year to get back either. You're one of the lucky ones and Mike actually finished that frame. You've got an incredible bike though, that's for sure. :bonk:

yes I agree that the wait with Mike is unacceptable which is why you never see me mention who did my frame mod. Mine took 4 months plus 1 week. I have no regrets but it was an ordeal I wouldn't put anyone else thru.

I also have a TTM frame my frame is a CRF450X frame. I looked at most AF frames but TTM makes one of the best frames I could find. If you dont mind wating for the TTM frame it is worth it Billet Y frame and engine mounts great welding and he heat treas the frame after doing the welding most others just cut up the old Y section use the old mounts add some new tubing and send it back to you. I rather wait and get a great frame back than a semi ok frame for all that money you just put out.

I sent my stuff to AJ at Service Honda and had it back in 2-3 weeks. Billet Y with new mounts, etc. Fit and finish was perfect. I don't know who you're referring to but it's not Service Honda. Just wanted to set the record straight on that. :bonk:

yes I agree that the wait with Mike is unacceptable which is why you never see me mention who did my frame mod. Mine took 4 months plus 1 week. I have no regrets but it was an ordeal I wouldn't put anyone else thru.

Yeah but, for you, it's all just water under the bridge. If you get the chance, post a pic or two of that beauty! :bonk: :bonk: Well, the complete bike that is. :bonk:

I looked at S/H but I just wanted the frame not a completed bike. What I read and seen AJ makes a great bike but I wanted to build my own not a turn key bike. I read AJ uses a new Y section also but look at the others MPS Elsinore Factory, Animal Power Ect looks like they reuse Y section and other parts. I sure the others make a good frame but when you send the frame out to fet moded for a CR500 I want one that looks factory not like some shade tree mechanic made it. I must agree 1 year to get a frame back from Mike is way too long and S/H has a better turn around time. I just like TTM Workmanship.

I sent my stuff to AJ at Service Honda and had it back in 2-3 weeks. Billet Y with new mounts, etc. Fit and finish was perfect. I don't know who you're referring to but it's not Service Honda. Just wanted to set the record straight on that. :bonk:

Yeah but, for you, it's all just water under the bridge. If you get the chance, post a pic or two of that beauty! :bonk: :bonk: Well, the complete bike that is. :bonk:

If you guys think "pretty welds" make a better bike, or are more metallurgically sound, you are sorely mistaken. What a weld looks like doesn't mean squat. You have to worry about heat, weld penetration, post-weld heat treating, etc. There is so much more to look at on any bike than a few welds I just don't get the big deal with why you guys are worried about a weld looking "good". Neglect your bike, put some old bald tires on it and some used plastic on it and your frame with those "pretty welds" doesn't make that POS bike look "good".Nor do pretty welds make the bike perform any better. I would rather have a proper weld than a pretty weld. Especially when mý life is at stake. Sure, a good weld can be pretty, but a good weld can be not so pretty. BFD. Go buy some tires or something and stop worrying about the little stuff!

If you guys think "pretty welds" make a better bike, or are more metallurgically sound, you are sorely mistaken. What a weld looks like doesn't mean squat. You have to worry about heat, weld penetration, post-weld heat treating, etc. There is so much more to look at on any bike than a few welds I just don't get the big deal with why you guys are worried about a weld looking "good". Neglect your bike, put some old bald tires on it and some used plastic on it and your frame with those "pretty welds" doesn't make that POS bike look "good".Nor do pretty welds make the bike perform any better. I would rather have a proper weld than a pretty weld. Especially when mý life is at stake. Sure, a good weld can be pretty, but a good weld can be not so pretty. BFD. Go buy some tires or something and stop worrying about the little stuff!

Well, if you don't like the conversation and what everyone has to say, you don't have to keep reading, or even participate. And, I imagine, as much money as some people spend on this stuff, it better perform well and look just as good. If no one cared what it looked like, they would have anyone that can weld work on the frame. Welds looking "good" is just a matter of integrity. Sure, welds don't have to look "good" to be effective, but for the cost, it needs to not look like it was done in a high school metal shop.

I looked at S/H but I just wanted the frame not a completed bike. What I read and seen AJ makes a great bike but I wanted to build my own not a turn key bike. I read AJ uses a new Y section also but look at the others MPS Elsinore Factory, Animal Power Ect looks like they reuse Y section and other parts. I sure the others make a good frame but when you send the frame out to fet moded for a CR500 I want one that looks factory not like some shade tree mechanic made it. I must agree 1 year to get a frame back from Mike is way too long and S/H has a better turn around time. I just like TTM Workmanship.

Marv, just to be clear, I sent just my frame, rads, etc, to AJ and he converted it for me. It was returned with a new FMF pipe/silencer, headstay, modded rads, all hoses, mount bolts/nuts, etc. Definitely, not a turn key new bike. :bonk:

My welds looked great and, again, the fit and finish was perfect. A testimate to his work and Service Honda's reputation is that when I sold it I got every penny ($6,500.00 w/new engine, carb, etc) back out of it. :bonk:

Dang it, all this 500 talks has me missing the 500AF. :bonk: :bonk:

IMG_5050_web.jpg