gearbox gearing mod question for crf450r

hi all, i love the '02 crf but would like a greater range between 1st and 5th, i.e. like the crf450x. For memory the difference is only about double the ratio, whereas the x model is more like 3 i think. Has anyone changed any gears over on the stock model with those from the x, is it possible? (i think it would be). even if i gear up 5th to make it like an 'overdrive'.

Wow, that is exactly where I was at. I bought my 02 CRF new and wanted wider ratio gears from day one. Baja Designs used to have gears available but stopped making them a few years ago. Unfortunately the X gears won't fit from what everyone says so I recently developed gear sets for the R. My gears change out 2nd through 5th and will fit 02-07, and maybe 08 (not sure yet). I should have parts ready in about two months. I am riding on the prototypes right now. Search "wide ratio" and you can find people have been asking for these for years.

wow, thanks, that sounds great. i will be interested in how your prototype goes.

They are working great. Why not come on over and take it for a ride yourself... What is it, a 16 hour flight??

thanks man, i'll be right over ! probably more than 16 hours but its worth it to tweak the crf ! i drove from sydney to melbourne on the xr400 the other day (with stock 2 gallon tank and heaps of stops for gas) which took 12 hours so 16 is not so much, so i might take you up on the offer !

thanks man, i'll be right over ! probably more than 16 hours but its worth it to tweak the crf ! i drove from sydney to melbourne on the xr400 the other day (with stock 2 gallon tank and heaps of stops for gas) which took 12 hours so 16 is not so much, so i might take you up on the offer !
Wow, 12 hours on an XR?? I am sure the plane flight should be no problem then. I will see you soon, LOL!!