Sign in to follow this  

2009 SXF 250 maintenance?

I'm buying a new dirt bike after riding sport bikes for many years and wanted to know what type of maintenance I'm going to be doing? How often do I change the oil? Is there any engine related maintenance that I should know about? checking valves, etc, etc? Sorry for all the questions but I know with street bikes you can just get a service manual and it lists all the things you need to do or check after so many miles but I haven't found anything for this bike like that.

Plan on doing oil changes,with quality oil .I cant say at how many hours everybody seems to have there own opinion,I think 3 hours give or take is good.KTM valves are pretty much problem free 25 hours on mine,still perfect.The rest is common stuff,air filter cleaning,chain cleaning and adjusting...ect.Other than that ride and enjoy.

You have to measure valve clearance,just buy the tool and do it yourself,go by the specs on the service disc.

my 4 stroke maintenance is the same reguardless of the bike, i change the oil every 3-4 rides, i do the filter as needed (usually every 2 rides depending on conditions), chain as needed (usually every 4-6 rides), i clean the bike after every ride to ensure debris doesnt damage any moving parts. Valves: i take my bike into the shop and have the valves checked after every season $80 to check $160 to adjust. Replace worn out items as needed (tires usually 1 rear per season, but tires are cheap enought that i usually replace both each season.. depending on how much/hard i rode, the chain and sprocket is usually every 2 seasons on a 450 for me, fork seals as needed which that is usually 1 set per season) broken items as needed (obviously lol) but i usually go through at least 1 set of handle bars and lever each season :bonk: The only reason i added all this stuff was so if you were looking to add up the costs of ownership you could do so with more accuracy.

you shouldnt need to rebuild the bottom end unless you dont take care of the bike...top end you will only need to rebuild if you are loosing power, which probably will not happen within a few seasons. (these machines have good top ends)

it is just how hard you can and will go with the bike . when you go verry fast , more maintenance . we replace,s piston rings at max 15 hours . piston max 25 hours , con rod 2 time,s a year . 15 front sprockets 8 rear sprockets . clutch hubs every 10 hours (center breaks out of it ) 60 friction clutch plate,s and a lot of rear tire,s . 3 time,s a year fork seals , and we still love the bike . before we had a kx250f and the maintenance was the dubble of th sxf , at specialy the engine . ktm sx250f engine is strong an easy to repair if you know how . surfaces of the crankcase,s ar almost the dubbel thiknes as the jap bike,s and rounded so you dont hurt your fingers when cleaning the surface,s