what bike? 250? 450? 250 2t?

Helo,

I want to buy another bike, but I'm just not sure whats it going to be since i dont realy have that much experience on different models. All I know is its going to be a KTM (for sure :bonk:), and its not going to be a 125 /144

So its either gonna be a sx 250, sxf 250 or sxf 450

My current bike is a ktm lc4 600, which I, believe it or not, used for MX purpose... I dont think I'll have to explain that that didn't work out all that well.

I found a list on the internet which may help you to help me to pick my discecion (I probably spelled that one wrong). Here it is:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

I am about 1,8 meters high, which i calculated comes down to about 5 feet 11 inches, and i weigh about 65 kg, which is about 145 lbs. And I'm 17 years old.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

Even though i don't weigh that much, I'm pretty strong and i didnt really had that much trouble with my lc4

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

I will be riding mainly on the motorcross track, but I'll allso be riding in the woods now and then (but not the real tight stuff)

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes, on my lc4, and on my dad's ktm 500 2 stroke. And I just love the power and kick that thing has.

5) Do you think you will race ?

Not sure yet

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Yes and Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

KTM, I'm not sure about whether its gonna be a 2 or 4 stroke, thats what I'm here for :bonk: I'm just sure its not going to be a 125

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Yes, KTM

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?

3500 euro's top, thats about 5400 USD. In my country (holland) you can get yourself a used 2007, with luck a 2008, sxf 450 / 250 for that

10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

As I said, my current bike is an lc4 600, which didnt realy work that wel on the track. I was able to pass some 125's ever now and then, but that's it. Then my mate let me ride his 250 four stroke a lap.... Wow.. the thing realy flys, handles like a dream etc. etc. One thing I did miss was the power. Not so much on the track, but I think that in the woods a little more power would be verry welcome. So then i thought i might as well buy a 450. Then I started thinking about 250 2 strokes, easy and cheap maintenance, light, flickable etc. and without the 'lack' of power. The big downside for me is the powerband of such a machine. I have never ridden one before, but my guess is that it will behave sorta like a 125 (nothing down below revs, and then all of a sudden all the ponys kick in). Am I right at this?

So, what bike do you guys think suits me best? sx 250? sxf 250? sxf 450?

Allso, (this is more of a KTM specific question) are there some realy big notaceable advantages of the 2007 sx / sxf models compared to the 2006 and before models? Are they more / less reliable? All I know is that I really like the looks of them.

Another offtopic question: When I shift, I allmost always pull in the clutch on my lc4, but a lot of people say its not nescescary (pretty sure I allso spelled that one wrong), and that you can easily shift without the clutch. Is this true? (side note: where I ride its pretty much all soft sand). Will this harm my gearbox / clutch / whatever if I dont pull in the clutch when I shift?

Edited by kpotmake

Based on your answers I would say it is between the 450 and 250 2strk. Based only on performance and riding mostly track I would lean more towards the 450 as it is easier to ride. If you want somthing a little more spunky and a little lighter feeling with close to the same power go with the 250sx (and yes it will be more favorable down low then the 125). If mantinance is an issue just remember the only differences is between the piston and the air box and thats where the attention needs to be.

Based on your answers I would say it is between the 450 and 250 2strk. Based only on performance and riding mostly track I would lean more towards the 450 as it is easier to ride. If you want somthing a little more spunky and a little lighter feeling with close to the same power go with the 250sx (and yes it will be more favorable down low then the 125). If mantinance is an issue just remember the only differences is between the piston and the air box and thats where the attention needs to be.

thanks man, right now I'm leaning more towards the 450, purely because I think I will like the 4 stroke more then the 2 stmoker on the track because of the power down below. Besides that, weight isnt realy that much of an issue because I'm coming of a lc4 600, compared to which even a 525 feels light as a feather. The only thing that might cause me to buy a 250 2t instead of a 450 would be the cheap and easy maintenance.

Has anyone got any experience with the 07 / 08 sxf 450 compared to the 06 and before models, concerning maintenance, weight, feeling, suspension, etc.?

How stricked is your budget, because I just demo'd a 2010 450sx and all and I can say is WOW. I'm not a KTM fallower, and nevery realy liked the suspension on them, but this is not the case on this bike. If I was racing motorcross, this would be my bike. You can get to far into a deep corner, and it will save you, you can go in 1 or 2 gears to high, and the motor pulls no problem. It's the smothest, strongest 450 I've ever ridden. Now I can say I have Zero experience with past ktm 450 models, but this was was abalutly awsome.

My friend races a 09 250sx and swears by it, now that's in the bush, so that's another story again, but it does feel lighter for sure then the 450.

just my 2 cents

Has anyone got any experience with the 07 / 08 sxf 450 compared to the 06 and before models, concerning maintenance, weight, feeling, suspension, etc.?

I think you mean 08' and newer compared to the 07's and older. Mostly motor type but some geometry and susp tweeks.

If you're really wanting the two stroke JUST due to the lack of required maintenance then buy a YZ450F. Yes, they take maintenance but are very durable machines compared to any of the others. Not that KTM isn't durable but the YZ-F is just tolerant of abuse to a point whereas the others are not.