Sign in to follow this  

Anyone have a contact for key blanks?

All-

When I bought my 08 SM, I only received one ignition key, and the shop didn't have the fork lock key either. I don't suppose anyone has a contact for getting the Suzuki blanks? I have a local key shop that can cut them, but they are only a Yamaha dealer, so no luck with the Suzuki key.

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks-

Busa

Go to a locksmith. They matched up my ignition key no problem. The steering lock was a bit more of a hassle but I believe it was a German lock manufacturer. They recognized the shape of the wards. I ended up with a round key instead of the funny shaped factory key, and it works better.

I believe the ignition key actually was a Yamaha blank.

The trick is the locksmith goes by key shape and wards, not by the number unless it helps them.

The numbers on my ignition key are ilco X118 YH49 and the lock key is GUARD BRASS PADLOCK with no number.

---------------------------ILCO IS THE BRAND ------------------GUARD IS THE BRAND

The above refers to the non-stock keys I got from the locksmith

Edited by slowriding

Ive gone to 2 Suzuki shops... and they didn't have then either. I found a Kawi shop that had a key that worked, but it was longer.

The Suzuki shops can order the blanks, but expect to pay too much.

Note the additional notes I made to my previous post.

I'm looking at my keys now. The ignition key is an Ilco with the number 1611 on it. The steering lock key is an Ilco with the numbers SR61N and B69K on it. Both work fine.

From a member who owns a key shop.

Keyblank #'s.

Ilco # SUZ12 or SUZ12-P(plastic head) = ignition, gas cap, & helmet lock

Ilco # SR61N = steering lock

:bonk: :bonk:

good info, I wrote it down and tucked it away to a spot more than likely will be lost in when I need it :bonk:

but I'm now going to get some spare keys made before that happens :bonk:

Just look for it here when you need it. Search for "Ilco".

Not specifically for the SM....but I have had keys cut for both S and E models.

From YAMAHA key blanks no less...

Ilco YH49

Similar predicament - Did not have the key # written in the owner's manual and did not want to purchase all 3 or 4 Suzuki blanks - local locksmith matched it to the Ilco YH49; works on ignition and gas cap.

Thank you all. Very good info, and I'm sure it will save me some money if I can suggest to the lock smith which key blank from Ilco has been proven to work.

I've (knock on wood) never lost a bike key, but still it is an un-easy feeling. Plus I like to give my Dad a set to my bikes in case he ever wants to run down to the house and grab one. He has a ZG1000 of his own, but still.

I didn't key the owners manual or tool kit when I bought her either, so I didn't even have a reference stamp for the key.

You folks are great. Thank you.

I just had to have an ignition key made for my 2006 s model,I had the steering lock key and the little tag with the key code.He used the code and said it was a yamaha code and a yamaha key blank and cut the key and it worked fine,He cut two keys for $20.00 and took about 10 minutes total.

Thank you all. Very good info, and I'm sure it will save me some money if I can suggest to the lock smith which key blank from Ilco has been proven to work.

I've (knock on wood) never lost a bike key, but still it is an un-easy feeling. Plus I like to give my Dad a set to my bikes in case he ever wants to run down to the house and grab one. He has a ZG1000 of his own, but still.

I didn't key the owners manual or tool kit when I bought her either, so I didn't even have a reference stamp for the key.

You folks are great. Thank you.

Let me know where you get yours cut in OHIO. I'm near Akron and have been thinking heavily about a couple of extra sets. And an addl ignition to hide on the bike just in case.

As for the book and toolkit, I would be glad to make a scan of mine and PDF when I get some time in winter. I think someone here even posted it once.

I replaced my stock kit with a Cruz Tools Kit that I got for cheap at Dealer expo. Also added spoons with Wrench ends for DRZ.

Check them out and PM me if you want me to try to acquire a set for you.

This link goes to a thread which has a picture of the 4 styles of ignition keys. Depending on model and year the numbers listed above may not apply to your bike. I am sure a locksmith can match you up if you give them the information as a starting point, but it might be a slightly different number.