22mm Offset?

Howdy

As I am doing more technical, single track riding, I was wondering what was your collective verdict on changing to all 22mm offset triple clamp?

Does it make a real difference?

If so what bits do I need to buy and which brand?

I don't want to part with the cash if there isn't such a noticeable difference.

Thanks

I made the change to applied racings 22mm offset triple clamps and love the way the bike handles now. I ride in the woods and it helped allot in the turns. For the desert, since the 22mm hurts your high speed stability I went with a scotts steering stabilizer as well and like the combo.

450x_winter_project_09.JPG

I'm a strict woods rider and I needed sharper steering and better front wheel traction. Lots of sand and other loose stuff that moves around on you here. Rather than buying the fancy shmancy billet clamps I picked up a used '07 450R clamp. For my riding type, I notice a little bit of difference with the same suspension settings and it is better. Enough for me to be happy since I do stick in the turns instead of washing out the front.

... I picked up a used '07 450R clamp. For my riding type, I notice a little bit of difference with the same suspension settings and it is better. Enough for me to be happy since I do stick in the turns instead of washing out the front.

:bonk: But, I think the '07 450R has 24mm offset! (Same as '05-'07 X)

Could it be the ... placebo effect?

I have the same setup as above with the Applied 22s and Scotts on my 06. I ride tight technical single track almost exclusively and the 22s made all the difference in the world. Steering is lighter and more precise, no more front end push. I've heard of guys using clamps off the 08 450x. They come stock with a 22mm offset and may be a little cheaper through someone like Service Honda.:bonk:

Thanks Guys for your responses.

Do any of you desert guys run the 22mm offset???

"Yup,since the beginning of the CRF450R the triple clamp offset has been 24mm,however starting in 05 Honda supplied the lower fork legs with the axle location 2mm rearward.This makes the effective offset 22mm." * Hijacked from the 450R forum

Thanks Guys for your responses.

Do any of you desert guys run the 22mm offset???

I do.

I know I started the post, but what exactly are we referring to when talking about 22mm /24mm. What are these measurements??

Looking at your bike from a side profile, imagine a straight line running down through the center of your fork tubes. Now move that line towards the rear of the bike 2mm maintaining the same angle and you've gone from 24mm to 22mm offset. Basically you are shortening the wheel base. Doesn't sound like much but the difference it makes is worth it. The actual off set is the measurement between the line described above and the center line extending down through the steering stem. Clear as a mud puddle now?

Edited by EmmasDad
Left important info out